1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you could go back to college.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

The top 25 colleges are all extremely difficult to get into now, so she likely applied to a bunch and picked from where she got it. The admissions is very random at the top end, kids get into top Ivies and rejected from UCLA, Berkeley and vice versa.

But given the choice, I would pick UCLA over USC, for many reasons.

Skully likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I actually dropped welding to go to school. If I had it to do over again I would have done the same thing, only I would have majored in History. That's the one subject that I've been constantly drawn toward since graduating. And the degree would not have been any more useless than all the other degrees they are handing out like tic tacs.

Steerforth likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

Part of me wants to say I would have studied more the first two years. My surfing/partying to studying ratio was highly skewed:eek:

I had to raise my dismal GPA enough to get into grad school, and that was hard.

Do I regret all that partying the first two years? On second thought, NO.

P Thought likes this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Now, to the picture question, this isn't my picture, but is my school...
    [​IMG]
    ...and I had the keys to the tower...

I do believe I might not change much. I:
    • Worked my butt off to get a classic Liberal Arts undergraduate degree involving Philosophy, History, Psychology, Bible, Literature, and Culture.
    • Spent hours hiking the mountain trails.
    • Worked as an electrician to pay my way.
    • Played in a couple of really good bands.
    • Fell in love with a beautiful young woman and, despite her misgivings, convinced her to marry me. We've been married for forty years and she's still beautiful, kind, and sweet, the classic Mary Ann (RIP).
    • Went on to another school and studied for a Masters in the work field that I was to be hired away to before I could finish (Music Composition, Recording Engineering, Electronic Music).

Bob

DekeDog and RobRiggs like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you. I’m very blessed. #CalledAndEquipped

6. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Covenant College?

7. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Holic

More girlfriends. I spent four years with the same one who dumped my my senior year. I turned many down because I was faithful to the Heartbreaker.

8. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I would drop out just as quickly and enlist in the USMC.

9. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I'd take a course in music theory. I had a double major in English and philosophy, took a few art history courses, but I could have fit it in, and I wish I had.

10. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

More homework, less partying

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

She was there about 15 years ago and was a social butterfly that to see "how all the pretty people live" in So. Cal.

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Yep. 1975-79.

Bob

13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I would have either gone for a different major, or not gone at all. I haven't used my degree, but college was certainly one of the best times of my life.

The pure math of it:
    Many colleges are 20k per year, x4. 80,000 dollars, not counting the interest on student loans. Not to mention the full-time wages you're missing those 4 years.. let's say 30k per year you may be missing out on..

It's realistic to say you might be $110,000 in the hole, and counting..

at age 21-22, In hopes that the degree will land you a high paying gig. Some get those (especially those in high-value fields) and many do not. A lot of high paying jobs require a PhD, masters, or other post-grad degrees.

Being an educated person is very important, especially in this age, with so much misinformation and outright lies being spread everywhere, from every angle.

but saddling an 18 year old with the expectation of what they want to do for the rest of their life, while accruing big debt, is a tall order for a lot of people.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  14. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

I would have partied more!

15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I had to make a choice between music and science immediately when I started college. There were too many courses to take to complete a useful science or music curriculum. I chose biology with chemistry through P Chem. Engineering with my advanced degree came later. I continued to play in college, jazz, country, rock suitable for Greek formals, and finally coffee house. I hung it up after I got married. Family responsibilities and building a career in what is now a formal engineering discipline but was not yet at the time, bioengineering, were just overwhelming. My last day on the job was yesterday. I'm now retired. I still have to wrap my head around it but there's no going back.

I started playing again about 15 years ago. I started out playing a few tunes I remembered from 1970 and added a little country. I learned finger style and started paying close attention to theory. I added a few modes. I'm at a place where I want to learn more. So it's back to college. There was a post in the Theory forum last week. Here it is again for anyone who missed it.
    https://musictheory.pugetsound.edu/mt21c/MusicTheory.html

This is a link to a four semester music theory course. I don't need to be a music major. I don't need to give a tuba recital. There's way more to playing than what I'm doing now. I need to learn where to use diminished and augmented chords. I need to be able to hear jazz as more than a collection of off scale notes. I learned the importance of modes when I started using the Dorian mode. I kept slipping back into a minor key until I learned to hear it. Herbie Hancock's catalog is based on modal harmony. I need to be able to hear them before trying to fill in a lead line. So back to school. I can't imagine that this will require greater discipline that learning engineering. I already have the math and can think in the frequency domain. Wish me luck. I'll have to remain focused and keep coming back every day without college girls to draw me in.

16. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

That looks an awful lot like Cayuga Lake in the picture.

17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, come on!

Couldn't you use an expensive Bee Ess degree in Critical Feminine Studies Of The Southern Hemisphere or in Recreation And Leisure Studies to help you get through the day in S.E. Alaska?

18. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

My college years were the best of my life, and I'd go back in a heartbeat. If I went back knowing what I do now, I might have studied a little harder and may have reoriented my field of study to something more practical. I took the courses I wanted and got what I wanted at the time out of it.

b2dysfms_380x380.jpg
    Quad-uncgaa-300x300.jpg

19. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Didn't go. Many of my coworkers have. I have seniority at our factory job & no student loans to pay off.

I would prefer my kids choose a different path.

20. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I had fun in college, too much fun. I could have gotten so much more out of the experience, if I had found a balance between the pleasures of academia and social life.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.