1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If you could go back to college.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't major in drinking and assorted tomfoolery this time...:oops:

Tommy Biggs, DekeDog, drlucky and 4 others like this.
  2. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

I had a great time in under and grad school. But in undergrad would be a bit more focused on actual studying and more after midnight activities.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Pretty sure I found the right career and I enjoyed my time completing a Bachelor’s and Master’s of architecture. The creative aspects made it more fun than work sometimes. I later went back for an MBA. That was probably more work than fun on the balance. The only difference that I wished throughout all of it was that I shouldn’t have worked while completing my degrees. It was mostly a financial necessity that I did but it was also a lot to undertake. I now have the type of feeling that I can’t imagine ever having lived through it all. I guess that I should feel glad that I did.

danh, Cali Dude and MuleHead like this.
  4. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

The biggest waste of time, money and brain cells. I never used my degree for anything I did in my working life.
    If I could do it all over again I would have tried to get a job with either Gibson or Fender.

5. MuleHead

MuleHead TDPRI Member

Didn't go to school until I was older - had already worked in IT for 10 years. I loved college though...had great discussions with my professors and other students. I barely graduated high school, but graduated Magna and would go back in a heartbeat. In a do over...I'd probably go med or engineering.

6. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If I went back now I'd probably make sure not to look any coeds in the eye... Me being on the far side of my 50's and all.

If I went back to then, I'd be more independent doing what I wanted, not following along, and into playing in bands in the Raleigh music scene.

Tommy Biggs, jman72 and MuleHead like this.
  7. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I would drop myself out of college and become a welder.

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I would have just stayed forever. Real working world sucks ar$.

Milspec, elihu, smoothrecluse and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Been more disciplined primarily. My lack thereof set me back almost 8 years from getting my degree. I could have graduated at 23 but didn't until I was 29.
    And there was that one cutie that I was too oblivious to realize liked me until well after I'd blown it... I'd have fixed that for sure.

Tommy Biggs, drlucky and Cali Dude like this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I loved school, the town ( Erie, PA), my friends, and at first actually learning! Not a really true academic life for me, but all in a good balance, forward moving...

But in the 3rd year, I got into partying ( not crazy hard, but enough to lose focus), and hanging out with my girlfriend ( wife of 40 years), and playing guitar ( 46 years), was more important than anything.

I graduated with a BA degree in Spanish/ Liberal Arts, but actually went back to the jobs I worked during HS and College Summers and vacations.

So for me regrets on not being focused on career, being a biz professional, but at the same time, I am grateful for a great little family,, we take care of each other, and on a small scale, a successful musical journey.

So ( I live in Va near DC where I'm from) there's a part of me that wants to go back, have a re-do. But I would not be surprised if I did the same.

( I think about this a lot, still...)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    drlucky, M2roadwarrior and Cali Dude like this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've seen this movie before.

[​IMG]

12. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

choose the right career and if they offer that, they are wonderful. I started on a geology degree almost 50 years ago. stuff got in the way and I was gone after a few semesters. then I worked a few years, eventually went to TRADE SCHOOL and got steady jobs for 40+ years based on that. I did go back to college though in the 90s. got an AAS, BST, and an MS. I taught in trade school through the state university & retired. I always kinda regretted that I didn't finish out the geology degree. it would have been a whole different life

13. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Hahaha, I can relate. I graduated from grad school in 1995, and am still burned out too.

14. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

This time around, I'd definitely work up the nerve to ask that cute redhead in my composition class on a date. Definitely.

mfguitar, jman72 and That Cal Webway like this.
  15. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

The only time in my life when I felt free. Also the only time in my life when I could wake up....say f*** it I need more sleep and skip that 8:30am Calculus class. The only person it affected was me. Still aced the class but I still regret showing up to the class that one time (;)) hungover and reeking of booze, sitting down and hearing the words, here is the test. I skipped the day my prof told us about the test. Long story short....I learnt my lesson. I also never completed my Math/Comp Sci degree instead I end up with a Recreation Degree. Best choice I made as there was a greater diversity of genders in Recreation than Math/Comp Sci. Plus no more 3AM working in the computer lab writing code. This was the 80s...

I would not change my experience one bit but then I was part of the Animal House generation.

drlucky and That Cal Webway like this.
  16. hnryclay

hnryclay Tele-Meister

College now is not what it was when I went, 20 years ago. I wish I had gone to a liberal arts school majored in the classics, just for the knowlodge. No desire to go to a school again, but would love to audit some classes if I had the time.

17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

If I could....I wouldn't.

I earned 2 degrees and both of them have been lost in my basement for the past 25 years...did me no good in life, but at least I paid for them up front.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  18. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I really enjoyed undergrad and grad school. If I could change any of it, I would probably be a better student. I had too many diverging interests back then.

Obsessed likes this.
  19. Aftermath

Aftermath TDPRI Member

Get serious about weight lifting and nutrition, and go to music school instead of liberal arts.

20. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

If I could do it again:

1) No girlfriend - options open
    2) Major in something I really love instead of something "practical"
    3) Work harder to get better grades
    4) Consider PhD instead of law school
    5) Stay in & play guitar more

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.