If You Could Choose One Tele, What Would It Be?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sotakoira Musti, Apr 20, 2019.

1. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

If only one from the current production line, it would have to be the American Original ‘50s Tele. Go big or go home.

That said, I love the lower end Teles, namely MIM Standard/Player and CV, because they are great platforms for mods and upgrades.

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  2. DanoCC

DanoCC TDPRI Member

I just built this baby and it is currently my favorite, but that is not something that remains a constant. The Warmoth body is built in a Thinline style and it starts off with a 5A Flame Maple Core running through the center. It has Alder wings attached to the core and they are hollow to make up for the weight of the Flame Maple Core. There is a 3 Piece Laminate Top of Highly Quilted Maple with a "Skunk Stripe" of Walnut running down the center. The neck is a Warmoth "Modern" design employing a double adjusting truss rod with a fine adjustment mechanism on the heel of the neck to allow truss rod adjustment. The neck is also 5A Flame Maple with a 5A Flame Maple fretboard. The headstock has a veneer of Quilted Maple to match the body. The fretboard radius is tapered from 10" at the nut to 16" at the 22nd fret and it has 6150 "Jumbo" Stainless Steel frets. The tuning machines are Grover 505G inline 18:1 locking. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders wired up with a 4-way blade; (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge + Neck, (3) Neck, (4) Bridge + Neck in Series. 500k pots with 0.022uF Russian PIO Tone Capacitor. Gotoh 6 Saddle Bridge. I really love how it looks and especially how it plays! For more pics check out this link:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0qJRveFpJRimpX

IMG_1597.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    carpenter and Mincer like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

No doubt! I would LOVE the Andy Summers 62 Telecaster replica having been literally only a few feet from him when he played here in the early 80s. That guitar is unbelievable ( but I can't even afford a repica- I'd have to sell all my 6 guitars and Princeton to buy one).
    They were originally $10,000 USD and now go for up to $16,000.

4. Arbuckle

Arbuckle NEW MEMBER!

The one I made 20190426_144127.jpg

Attached Files:

nopicknick and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  5. Kid Telecaster

Kid Telecaster TDPRI Member

How do you define a first generation roadwork tele? I have a 2008 50s roadworn, the thing I like about it most is the weight (at 7 pounds the lightest of my 3 telecasters) and the nitro finish. Not, to my fingers at least, the most playable of guitars but it reminded me of a a 50s Duosonic I had in the mid 70s and that wasn't much of a player either. I prefer
    A) For harmonics and tone my Squier CV Telecaster; or B) for that elusive quality of 'playability', my 2010 American Special.

6. larsongs

larsongs TDPRI Member

I searched for what I believe to be the best Tele for me & recently found it! An Aged Olympic White Fender Reissue 1969 Thinline Telecaster with Maple Neck.... Unmolested immaculate Condition from Reverb.Com.. 5.5 lbs! Plays & sounds like a Dream!

7. Manothemtns

Manothemtns TDPRI Member

If I could have one Tele, I'd locate this Fender American Design Prototype I bought and sold in 2014 and 2016, respectively, and buy it back. Very rare guitar...number 22 of just 50 produced. Fender was testing the waters to see if these gorgeous contemporary designed and high-end flamed maple topped guitars would sell. They didn't. Made in the custom shop, the pickups were very thin sounding Fender Select series and the neck was a thin 'C'...too narrow for my hands. But, from a collectability standpoint I wish I'd held on to the guitar. Years from now it'd be sure to have appreciated considerably...no question about that. It would represent the only guitar I own purchased exclusively as an investment. A pure case queen never to be played...only looked at. At the time I believed I needed to play any and all guitars in my possession but I should have made an exception for this one. I made money flipping the guitar but hindsight is 20/20 and I should have held onto it for posterity. 2c955b76c877177f38db5d75d8e1bcb6.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Clifton C likes this.
  8. SkyDog308

SkyDog308 TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I have found myself gravitating towards many new and improved aspects of modern guitars. I simply can not justify the investment in an early original collectable. I love the girl - I'm a sucker for the humbucker, new type bridge/ saddles and the Fullerton Bridge pup that will end up inside her. I also like "Cool Mint and " white guard" DSCN0002.JPG

9. SkyDog308

Amen!

10. SkyDog308

Sorry for the triple dip post, ( pun intended ) when the thread called for one. I bought this thinking it was a solution to my I'll of having too many Telecasters. Didn't quite work that way. IMG_20171120_094637 (2017-11-20T09_46_38.000).jpg

The stickers we're we're as a deterrent to me selling her off because her neck and my hand never really hit it off. She be Ash underneath. Custom Shop Design made in Mexico, Sigler 920D control set for seven way switching. Sweet Tripe Caster.

11. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

8barlouie likes this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I don't think Fender has made one like I'd want: Humbucker bridge, P90 neck, master volume/tone with coil split and no-load tone options, standard 3 barrel bridge with compensated brass saddles, compound radius neck with a broken in feel, BSB with light finish, maybe slightly reliced.

14. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

I wanted at the first post of this thread a Road Worn ’50s blonde.

Well, things didn’t go that way. Got a new Tele anyway! Road Worn will be waiting for it’s turn for some time.

15. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

This is perfect timing as I am in the market for a really great Fender Telecaster. My ideal Fender Telecaster would be a MINT "used" Fender AVRI '52 Telecaster. I love those re-issues of the early Fender "Black Guard" Tele's. I would prefer the earlier version with the thinner Maple Neck as opposed to the later "U" shaped big and chunky Tele neck. They seem to vary a lot in price. The thing is since I plan on getting one that I will play and keep for the rest of my life, I really need to hold and play it first. My thought is to go to "The Summer Philly Great American Guitar Show" and check out all the Fender Telecaster's. This is the only way I would make the purchase.

16. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

Your 2016 Fender American Standard Telecaster in that gorgeous deep almost 3D 3-Color Sunburst Nitrocellulose Finish is perfect.

stratoman1 likes this.
  17. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

It would have to be this one, but I'd still let Marty borrow it. :twisted:

Stuart-3_ukym8b[1].jpg

maggieo and Clifton C like this.
  18. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

If you are purely talking about beautiful soleful and versitile sound, to play on stage or studio, no Fender Tele (after 1964) was made as good as one that Leo Fender designed and made after revisiting "if I could do it all over again". It would be the G&L (George Fullerton and Leo Fender) ASAT Classic. This is my 1992 ASAT Classic that George (Fullerton) made for me right after Leo died, I said I wanted somethng special and different. So he had the shop "cook" an ASAT with a one of a kind slightly off-white transparent wash ( I had white blonde hair in those days still) on a Swamp Ash body and they a Script style G&L logo on the upper bout of the body. All the other ASAT's of the 90's had a "transparent finish" were "Butterscotch wash". You will never see another 90's ASAT Classic like this and George Fullerton's signature is on the neck pocket.

The G&L ASAT Classic's are cleaner, LOUDER and far more "ballsy" (thanks to Leo's designed Ceramic/Alnico PuPs) than any Fender Telecaster ever made with the close exception of the 83 - 84 Telecaster Elite with active electronics) and the late 60's and 70's Thinlines or Custom's with Fender made Seth Lover designed staggered pole Humbuckers. These were loud and ballsy too, but didn't sound like "Telecasters" either. I have those too.

With a ASATClassic you can do Country, Blues or Hard Rock. Incredibly versitile guitar.

I knew George, (and Forest and Leo even though they had left Fender) when I worked at Fender Fullerton and Corona '72 -'99. Visited the G&L factory in Fullerton, CA (down the street) all the time to learn from the masters.

Sorry the picture of the 1992 G&L ASAT Classic "one-off" is so crappy. The others are a '68 Telecaster Thinline (Fender - 2 Seth Lover HBs) and a 1973 Telecaster "Custom" (Fender SL HB and a std Single Coil bridge)

G&L 1993 ASAT Classic a Promo Model $1500.jpg 1968 Fender thinline 2-Fender Seth Lover HBs.jpg Fender Telecaster Custom w-OHSC 1973.jpg

19. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

For me it would have to be the American Original '50s Telecaster:

v1740922_lg1.jpg

Clifton C likes this.
  20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Thank you, I almost pulled the wallet out around Labor Day that year for it but I just couldn't. Luckily it was still there around the time the 17s were about to show up so I got a nice little price break as a reward. It was the last one they had

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.