If You Could Choose One Tele, What Would It Be?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sotakoira Musti, Apr 20, 2019.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Yet one MORE reason I need to go to Spain before I'm dead! Niiiiice!

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

If I could have only one, it would probably a non-typical configuration.

SD P90 pickups, acapulco blue metallic (like my new car, love that colour) double bound thinline body, jumbo frets, probably 7.25" (but 9.5" would be fine too), certainly no forearm contour or belly cut (but I suppose that was clear when I mentioned the double binding). So slightly non-typical.

Actually a guitar that could be a mix of several current (or recently obsoleted) models. Wouldn't mind if it was American, Mexican, Japanese, Korean or Indonesian. Could be Fender or Squier. As long as it was to these specs.

Now for current production models, I did settle on the Modern Player Thinline, but a '72 Thinline would probably do as well. Lake Placid Blue could be an alternative for the colour.

3. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I'm good with my old '78, but I'd love a late 60's Oly white/tobacco blond with a white 3 ply, and might even be persuaded to trade mine for one of those!

I've never played a 50's black guard - but I'd try one, since money's no object ;)

4. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

You're looking at it over there to the left of this post .

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

After countless vintage , reissue and modern teles that have passed through my hands my final choice would easily be an 8502 Tele.

Mine is the best Fender tele I have ever played,Fender really hit the nail on the head with this one.

WP_20160525_18_13_57_Pro.jpg

Attached Files:

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Just a regular American Standard. But fortunately I'm not limited to one, but this one is my favourite!

Sotakoira Musti and TLR_ like this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The "current basic production lines" criterion is a bit of a turd in my punch bowl. I prefer the recently discontinued AV Series to the current AO Series. Fender no longer has accurate ole-style reissues with the curviest boards, smallest frets, and Flash Coat finishes coming off of their "current basic production lines." They are back to the thicker lacquer finishes with poly sealer, used on the old Vintage Series and AVRI Series guitars – and they are using flatter boards and bigger frets. All bad changes and/or steps backward, IMO. The AVs were basically Custom Shop N.O.S. reissue level instruments at standard production line American reissue prices.

If that limit could be bent to include the recently discontinued AVs, then I'd choose my '58 sunburst AV, with some slight wiring mods (position 1: bridge pickup, tone bypass, position 2: bridge pickup with tone, position 3: neck pickup, tone bypass).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  8. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

2 tone burst rosewood board American special

hdvades, Sotakoira Musti and TLR_ like this.
  9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

My fav tele is a MIM classic 60s, th pickup and saddle replacement are mandatory for me. Then again, thats true of pretty much any tele i get. So yeah, C60s MIM. Best sounding fender i have ever owned. And before you ask, i prefer it to an AVRI because i hate nitro.

mimmo likes this.
  10. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Meister

Highway-1? I don’t know. I like my PT. Let the hate commence.

Sotakoira Musti and TLR_ like this.
  11. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

A great spokesguitar for breast cancers:D

12. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

Limited to current production, it'd be an American Original 60's telecaster in lake placid blue. Rosewood board, 9.5 radius. I love double bound tele's and the lake placid blue looks fantastic.

hdvades, Sotakoira Musti and Shuster like this.
  13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'd have to say my '06 American Series. It's a great, versatile guitar that can do most of what I want. Only problem with that is I don't know if I could live without my Cabronita. It's so awesome in a completely different way.

14. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

15. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I'd love to find one of the Waylon Jennings models.

Clifton C likes this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I played a lot of Telecasters when I was looking for pickups for mine. I liked the American Elite best but I like mine better. Mine started out as a MIM Nashville. I loved the neck pickup sound but was never happy with the bridge or middle, especially after getting a Strat. I also hated the 60 cycle hum. I put N4 pickups in mine in a new pick guard and couldn’t be more pleased. I like the 12” radius rosewood neck, slotted tuners, and the traditional unbound Telecaster body. I like the nearly indestructible candy apple red finish. I like some of the Am Elite colors but don’t particularly like the creased edges of a bound body. That’s the problem asking folks which production model Telecaster they like best. They probably have a favorite but most of us change something to personalize our guitar. Even “historic” guitars used by the gods were modified. I don’t really understand the insistence on all original vintage guitars. Few of us leave ours as they were out of the box.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I really enjoy having a variety of different Teles - love it, in fact. I wouldn't like to have only one Tele, however... if need be...

I have that guitar... 2014 Fender American Standard Tele in Mystic Red, with a rosewood board - with my choice of pickups and electronics.

[​IMG]

Straydogger likes this.
  18. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

When I decided to buy a Telecaster I picked an American Standard. That will do me.

19. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

Scoping it to right-now, not-CS Telecasters? The American Original ‘50s is the only one with a large enough neck for me. And I have one. It’s excellent, and def holds its own next to my CS Tele.

swany likes this.
  20. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Holic

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.