If you could begin again

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Milspec, Oct 12, 2019.

1. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

^^^ this ^^^
    There is no better way to understand music..... the relationships and theory are all right there in black and white.

I guess we all have a different mindset. For me it made the guitar so much easier to understand... but obviously it didn't work that way for you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    beagle likes this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Music theory would have been my for sure.

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It probably has a lot to do with the way I was taught piano, the traditional classical way by a rather strict/mean German lady. Too much rote learning of pieces without really understanding them. It's different now that it was back then, I think.

4. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I wish I had started younger. I didn't really find musical Sherpas until later in my life. I didn't really pick it up seriously til I was 30. I pretty proud at how far I've come but it makes me wonder how much better id be if I had started as a kid.

T Bone Slort likes this.
  5. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I still want to learn to flat pick, don't expect to ever be like in this video, but something passable. I started learning to play after hearing Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes, and the like, so started off with fingerstyle, then just cowboy chord strumming. I'm still a rhythm player, but wish I'd learned scales, and just enough to be able to do little lead riffs, etc. Just never took the time.

6. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort TDPRI Member

If I could begin again, I wouldn't wait till I was 65 to start learning to play.:eek:

7. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I wish I would have played more electric guitar and in my first 15 years of playing. I’m still primarily acoustic and my touch on the Telecaster isn’t where I want it to be.

I also wish I wouldn’t have put up with a woman for so long who didn’t like my music, but that’s a different story altogether.

8. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I should have retired immediately after I bought my first guitar, at age 23, so I could focus all my time and attention on playing it.

9. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I wish I had done Formal Piano, formal Theory, plus singing AND playing at the same time.

10. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As others have said, I wouldn’t change anything. I had the opportunity, thru my father, to spend time playing with older more experienced players and I learned a lot from them. Over the years I developed my own style using hybrid picking and playing solos off the different chord shapes up and down the neck and I learned the blues scale from the CCR song Green River.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.