If you could begin again

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Milspec, Oct 12, 2019.

1. 3bolt79

3bolt79 TDPRI Member

Take up classical guitar. I did and studied it for about 4 years. You should pick up Ben Bolts book 39 progressive solos. You can get it at GC. The book starts out really easy and gets progressively harder I made it to Bach’s Bouree in E minor in that book, although that price was more for the left hand I think. The book is a crash course.

Milspec likes this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I can’t go back in time and I’m pretty much pleased with how my playing has progressed. I’ve developed a personal sound and style. I taught myself a piano like finger style that works for me. I recently decided I wanted to expand my playing beyond country, country influenced, and electric folk so I decided to learn modes. I’ve gotten Dorian down well enough to be thinking about what to tackle next. If I had it to do over again, maybe I’d bypass the drug culture of the ‘60s and ‘70s. I don’t see that I could have avoided the hiatus I took for raising a family and developing a career in engineering and the sciences. So I’ll say this. Every day presents us with an opportunity to start over, or at least to learn something new.

Milspec likes this.
  3. CheezeWhizz

CheezeWhizz TDPRI Member

If I could start over again...I'd talk less and listen more. :)

4. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

I begin again everyday :D

Matt G and Mr. Neutron like this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Taken actual lessons, learned actual theory, that kind of stuff. I did do a semester of music theory in high school but it didn't stick

Learn on acoustic for a least a year

As for the piano thing, Mom tried to get me into that when I was 12 or so . Kind of a bad age for a guy to start " sissy stuff" . So that didn't stick . She told me I'd regret it later in life. At that time I had no idea that in just 5 or 6 more years I was going going to start picking up a guitar. Yeah. That whole learning actual music stuff would have been a nice head start. Always listen to Mom...

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I was sent to piano lessons a few years younger than you, but with the same result. I had to walk past a boxing gym to reach the instructor and after about 4 months, I skipped out and took up boxing. I actually became pretty good until my nose grew into Jimmy Durante by age 13. Having a big nose is not a good thing for a boxer...wished I had stuck with piano after fighting Joe Mangianelli.

Mr. Neutron and stratoman1 like this.
  7. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I would have bought better equipment cause even with crap I got pretty good by the time I hit 15.

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

learn to sing and play together earlier, play more dumb songs till they're automatic, talk about the songs with better musicians, learn to transcribe and chart them, learn inversions more systematically, and hit the open jazz jams sooner to burn the willies out

that's about it

there's never an optimal time, you just do what you can do and make the most of it

Matt G, Milspec and Mr. Neutron like this.
  9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I would tell my 14 year old self, "forget the guitar. learn to drive a bulldozer and a backhoe."

Matt G, Milspec and Jim622 like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Get a Tele sooner!

11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Singing and playing and playing out I guess, but not covers.

12. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Holic

I would have jumped at the chance to jam with the better players in my area instead of feeling too inferior and not doing it. I could have learned a lot.

Milspec and JayFreddy like this.
  13. bill4519

bill4519 TDPRI Member

What he said.

14. Blackbird86

Blackbird86 TDPRI Member

I wish i had started using a pick and using alternate picking. I currently use just my thumb so my speed isnt where it would be if i was using alternate picking

Milspec likes this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Start lessons sooner, get at least one guitar that worked better/had a good action faster.

I wasted my first 2 years for the most part:
    - Started on a Yamaha Dread that had mile high action and mostly played sitting which bugged my shoulder
    - Started trying to teach myself using the Greg Koch books published by Hal Leonard book and Justin Guitar, neither of which were very inspiring.

I would have told myself to get a really nice amp on Day 1 starting electric guitar too. (I didn't try electric till 2 years in when I started lessons.) I started with a $100 amp & a Livewire cable that produced more hum & buzz than guitar signal. That amp was mostly good for using it as a trade in at GC to get 15% off a much more expensive amp.

Milspec likes this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Singing and using a metronome from the start. Otherwise, I feel very fortunate to be where I am today as a player.

Certainly 5 years as a teen on violin payed off.

Milspec likes this.
  17. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

I would have taken the Red Pill;):)

Matt G likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I did that first, for about 3 years before I started guitar. It didn't help, probably made things worse. I also started on classical guitar, which was also frustrating but at least it did give me a better approach to learning fingerstyle for slide playing, eventually.

If starting over though, I wouldn't spend a decade mucking about on a cheap, low quality, acoustic guitars with lessons that didn't really fit what I really wanted to learn.

Milspec likes this.
  19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah I took 2ish years of piano.

One of the teachers had a degree, both were really great players. 2nd teacher was a really good violin/fiddle player too.

However both seemed to teach to the standard piano program where you just play the notes without understanding what is going on.

bgmacaw and Milspec like this.
  20. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Formal guitar lessons and study of music theory, absolutely. I would be a much better, more knowledgeable player today.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.