If Ya Can't Beat 'Em....

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by keithb7, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

@keithb7
    ...just read your thread; wonderful how it all came together and now playing to FULL rooms!

*envious* --and VERY happy for you bud!

"be careful what you ask for" - because you got it!!! hahaha

Are you getting tired of it yet? Too much?

my next gig is 15th; fun!

2. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Thanks @ecoast , yes we are still having lots of fun. No it's not too much. We have been able to pick our dates and times that suit us.
    We continue to push on and learn new songs to add new material for the repeat patrons. Initially we had picked some easy, quick to learn, well known songs. To get our song count up so we could perform live for 3 hours with 2 sets and 1 break . We accomplished that. Now as we continue to learn more songs, we can replace some of the stuff that we are not overly excited about playing.

For anyone interested in seeing what we are doing as of last weekend, here is our set list:

Set 1

Big Me - Foo Fighters

Driving My Life Away - Eddie Rabbit

Yer So Bad - Tom Petty

Brian Wilson - Bare Naked Ladies

Sister Golden Hair - America

Folsom Prison - J Cash

Heart of Gold (with harmonica around my neck) - Neil Young

Bad Moon Rising - CCR

The Last Time - Rolling Stones

Mr Jones - Counting Crowes

Sloop John B - Beach Boys

Time of Your Life - Green Day

Cuts Like a Knife (Mandolin) - Bryan Adams

Wagon Wheel - (Mandolin) Darius Rucker

Set 2

Country Roads (Mandolin) - John Denver

Copperhead Road (Mandolin) - Steve Erle

Losing My Religion (Mandolin) - R.E.M.

Feel a Whole Lot Better (Mandolin) - The Byrds

I Love a Rainy Night (Mandolin) - Eddie Rabbit

Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet

Take It Easy - The Eagles

Cry Cry Cry - J Cash

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond

Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaughm

If I had $1M Dollars - Bare Naked Ladies

I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles

Hard Days Night - The Beatles

Hide Your Love Away - The Beatles

Green River - CCR

Last Kiss - Franky Wilson & The Cavaliers

Wheat Kings - Tragically Hip (Local Canadiana thing, loved most anywhere up here)

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

Closing Time (Mandolin) - Semi-Sonic

We strategically set the mandolin songs so I switch once to my mandolin in set 1. Then end the set with it. Start set 2 with mandolin, then switch it out once, back to guitar in set 2. End set 2 with guitar. Less pauses in the flow of the show. The mandolin continues to be a crowd pleaser. Country Roads breaking open set 2 is a slam dunk. Copperhead road has the tables rattling. Sweet Caroline has proven so popular, we recently moved it up earlier in set 1. Then at the break while mingling with the patrons, we seem to always get a request to play it again. So we do, later in set 2. By that time hands are slamming tables in unison and people are screaming out the "Baa, Baa, Baahs"...Alcohol, it works wonders as the night rolls on.

We continue to tweak and improve the sets. We do the Beatles triple medley on purpose. The dancers always appear on Saw Her Standing There. Next gig we plan to roll right into Twist & Shout to keep 'em up there. We'll probably pull Hide Your Love Away and plant it somewhere in set 1.

More great news. We just landed a real decent gig! At the show last Sat, someone saw us and asked to hire us for a 1 hour and 15 min public performance. Heated 20x20 tent with stage. Full PA and sound man provided. An evening show out front of our largest local City stadium. Just before Christmas. We just show up with guitars and amps. Play and leave! One caveat, we must learn a upbeat Xmas song and perform it 2X in the performance. Or we can learn 2 Xmas songs. LOL. I think we can manage that. Feeling stoked!

Next gigs: Dec 20 and Dec 21!

ecoast and RLee77 like this.
  3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Hittin' the big time tonite in this one horse town. ;)

[​IMG]

RLee77 likes this.
  4. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I've thought about doing the acoustic thing, but I still really like playing in a rock band. And I like playing with a drummer - well, at least some drummers. :)

keithb7 likes this.
  5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Not sure what's up with the image hosting. Here it is again.

[​IMG]

6. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I loved the rock band thing too. I did it for years. Loved playing with talented classy drummers. I had tons of amps, guitars, pedals, etc. My ears started to take a beating. I got older. My interests changed. So I switched things up. Its been a great journey to get to where I am today. I’m just trying different things. It sure is fun.

rebelwoclue and g-Paul like this.
  7. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, and that is encouraging. I'm in two rock bands at the moment so I'm a bit short of time, but one of these days I will get serious about trying an acoustic gig.

keithb7 likes this.
  8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

We have still been enjoying the gigs with good audience participation. I have been considering adding my Strat and my Katana 50W SS amp. It'll do a wide variety of tones and dirt options. It's quite versatile. I'n not sure why I am thinking about adding more. I guess just to open up our song selection. I love the simplicity of an acoustic straight into a Fishman amp. However some songs I think would be nice with a little crunch, or with some nice clean spanky Strat quack.

Yet I have reservations. The gear part is pretty easy. 1 more amp 1 more electric guitar. I already own that stuff. That's not a problem. I think the main problem I have, is switching instruments between songs. I try to minimize the instrument swapping to keep the music flowing. I currently start with my acoustic. Near the end of set one I switch over to mandolin and do the final 3 set songs on it. We start set 2 with 6 more mandolin songs. Then I switch back to my acoustic for all the remaining songs. We generally do two long sets with 1 break over a 3 hour period.

How do you guys handle switching up instruments? With no sound guy, nor guitar tech to pass me stuff, I do what I can to be fast and ready for quick instrument swaps. Adding a 3rd set is an option I suppose, then playing most of the Strat stuff in a 3rd set. So no guitar swaps in set 3. Yet I think we have less chance of people leaving the show with less set breaks.

The music we have been doing so far on acoustic has been well received. Maybe I should leave well enough alone. Yet, for my own engagement and fun factor, some Strat and dirt would be nice for certain songs. Comments are welcome. Thanks.

Last night the sound guy never showed up again. Seems like he's never at our gigs anymore. So we had technical difficulties of course. LOL.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I play with a bass player who uses an A/B box "backwards."
    2 instruments into one amp.
    When he goes from upright to Fender, he steps on the button.
    This particular band never uses a set list, so the bandleader calls the tune and he has to work fast!
    Love that Steve Earle tune...haven't heard it for years.
    Nice.

10. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Yep, it seems to be getting harder.....Luckily I have several projects with different music, so there are still gigs around.
    I talked with my singer to try out busking with small Roland Cube Street battery-powered amps and just a resonator, a ukulele, some odd percussion and singing. I'm a bit nervous about it, but it still seems better than playing background for a dinnerparty.....

11. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Holic

Same thing happening in my area. Venues my band played at regularly are bringing in solo acoustic performers, people aren’t dancing as much, just drinking and listening.
    I’ve been considering pairing up with someone to do such an act.

12. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Just have somebody else babble some bull while you switch. It doesn't take much.

13. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Best thing that ever happened to me was us getting my drummer a cajon.

keithb7 likes this.
  14. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Drummers are a dying breed here in Aus. Some music stores don't even stock kits anymore.

15. markal

markal Tele-Holic

Does she play with her bare hands or sticks? I’d like to explore this approach to lower the volume of our band some.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

17. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Had another really fun gig this past weekend. We had a 3:30-6PM slot. Great crowd participation. A good time had by all. One guy in the crowd just would not let up. He kept asking us to play a Willy Nelson song. We don't play any. We keep growing our repertoire but no Willy songs. There's 1 song by Willie I suspect would be a crowd pleaser but I don't think I stand to play it. "On The Road Again". I got to thinking about duos that Willy did. The one with Waylon, "Good Hearted Woman" I like. I think maybe I'll present my version to the band.

I recently just tried garage band for the first time. I bought a Steinberg UR44 and laid this track down tonite. My first trial at this DAW stuff. We picked up "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". It was very well received.

18. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

You don't do any Faces or Rodney. What a waste of a mandolin.

19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I play in an acoustic duo. We both sing and play guitar. I also play harp. The duo has saved my gigging arse, by and large, since 2013. We play the same classic rock/country songs as in our 4 piece band. It's lots of fun!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.