If Warmoth made Paulownia bodies, it would be a perfect world.

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
It's the '54 Strat myth. One or two boards got cut up.
Addendum: look at the wood in the Dec '54 P in my avatar.
Ash?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
If it's light wood it must be crap for a guitar.

If it's a light guitar it must be amazing.

🙄

I think it's soft wood that people don't want, because it might get dings in it. We don't pay professionals to relic them just to end up putting our own dings in them.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Basswood is almost as light and is prettier and easier to work.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
Am I missing something here? It wasn't that long ago where Paulownia wood was considered. low budget stuff. Please educate me if there is something more to this.
Paulownia is low-budget stuff when Guitar Fetish sells it and calls it "Paulownia." When G&L and others use Paulownia they call it "Empress" wood. "Empress" wood is high-budget stuff. 😁

For the record, I own a partscaster I made with a Paulownia Guitar Fetish body, and a US made G&L Comanche made of "Empress." Love them both!

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Paulownia is low-budget stuff when Guitar Fetish sells it and calls it "Paulownia." When G&L and others use Paulownia they call it "Empress" wood. "Empress" wood is high-budget stuff. 😁

It's all about messaging in the marketing of the thing--whether it's a guitar or a chia pet.

Gibson has, in the past, used balsa as core lam and center block material for a few of their models. Do they call it balsa? No. According to them, the wood they use is 'chromyte'. They made up this name, derived from the Latin genus classification for balsa: ochroma pyramidale.

And if you didn't know, balsa is classified as a hardwood. Even more surprising is Gibson had nothing to do with this 😆

chucker

Tele-Meister
alder is a good choice for a not too heavy hardwood. pine, paulownia, poplar, basswood are fine if you like them but nothing i would own.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
I like lightweight wood myself - as long as it's lively and toneful.
As with all types of wood, I think, this often varies from one piece to another.

My only beef with Paulownia in general is, it's so soft that screws strip really easily.
Nothing a toothpick and some glue won't fix.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I don’t give a rats ass about the ‘budgetary’ status of what wood my guitar is made of. I like Paulownia because it works brilliantly for my guitars. I have crap Guitar Fetish guitars that I poured countless hours into rescuing, (my #1&2) and I have Allen Edens that are perfect and accurately bolt together. What matters is how its made. I wish Warmoth made Paulownia bodies because they do a consistently great job.

Warmoth, Musikraft, Fender, Mightymite, etc…. What do you wish they made that they don’t?

Oh just thought of one. I wish Warmoth offered nitro finishes.

Last edited:

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin-Home of the "City Gov't Shuffle"..
I really like Paulowina. Yes, it is a bit on the soft side but I preemptively put a drop of CA in all the screw holes in the body of a Tele I have and have had no problems with stripping. It's lightweight, very resonant and lively. It is actually considered a "high" priced asian wood species so not necessarily cheap like Nyatoh. I've also been wanting to get a solid one piece unfinished body of it to do a white/blonde translucent finish in Nitro, just have to find a source...

Last edited: