If there's a sudden shortage of fish sticks, blame me. (food craving/binge content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, May 11, 2021.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My mom sure did serve plenty of fish sticks to her hungry brood 60+ years ago and I probably continued to like ‘em through raising our little kids, but haven’t had them in maybe 45 years. We used to make what seemed like passable fish sandwiches with them?

I carried on several of my childhood foods through young adulthood. I’d take Chef Boyardee Ravioli and Beefaroni to deer or trout camp plus Franco American Spaghetti over which I’d sprinkle pepper. I actually liked that stuff but as time moved on I started traveling & experiencing real Italian food + cooked my own, and the last time I had one of those cans of stuff I wondered “how did I used to eat this crap”? I do still eat one or two cans of Vienna sausages each year and that disgusts my wife.

I cook quite a bit of fresh & saltwater fish we catch but may have to try a fish stick sandwich again just to see what I’ve missed all these years.

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Same here, only surimi !

3. johnny k

Tang? the powdered day glow drink ? we had it here for a while.

4. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

Actually I'd rather eat fish sticks than that stuff. I don't consider it to be fish. There's a lot of weird stuff in it. I know it's popular in Japan but I avoid it when I eat sushi, which I could eat every day. There should be a law preventing sushi restaurants from referring to it as "crab". I'll eat a California roll if they have real crab only.

BigDaddyLH and johnny k like this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

"crab substitute" :mad: No thanks

suave eddie likes this.
  6. johnny k

Actually, it was a joke. There are probably more nasty thingise in surimi than in fish sticks. Or maybe it is a 50 / 50. But surimi, no. Just the orange colour and the layers are enough for me to say no.

Our surimi is made with the best fins, heads, fishbones and fishtails you can find. That is it , i have got their slogan.

suave eddie likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

My favourite "sushi" choice is sashimi and sake -- liquid rice!

[​IMG]

8. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

I am fortunate to have my dad's metabolism; I binge so frequently on different foods that I should probably be much more overweight than I am. Once I get a craving zeroed in (and man those fish sticks sound good right now) there is no off button. Stress and boredom are big triggers, and I have a big thing for sweet followed by savory, which makes me want sweets, etc..

And, YES I know that there are health risks not associated with weight!

9. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Sushi=Bait

HotRodSteve likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

... and my favourite dinner out. :)

getbent, uriah1 and rcole_sooner like this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

My brother and I would drink Tang, eat Space Food Sticks and then walk around and pick up rocks. We were pretending to be astronauts. it didn't last long.

12. aeyeq

aeyeq Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I would get some fish sticks if it still had the tartar sauce packet.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I find I can eat them if they're well baked, and the dipping side is a mixture of Sour Cream and Tomatillo Salsa.

It also helps if the sticks are whole fish, as opposed to minced then pasted back together.

I don't think there's any shortage of them. The local grocer has Gortons (any of them) at buy one, get one free. We tend to get the larger pieces of flounder, instead. It doesn't have this so called Panko stuff on there - yuck.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I'll bite.

15. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

I've never really liked them, but last year I had a craving for them. I tried several different brands and types, but never found one that made me start to like them very much. Too much breading, too much salt. I still have hope though, I love fried fish.

16. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got a great, but pricey (+/- $30/lb) fish monger. We had red grouper for Mother's Day. The local supermarkets are good. I get $5.99/lb cod or haddock weekly. That said, there's always Gorton's in the freezer.

17. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I don't really like fish sticks. I mean I can eat a few and they are good but then I don't know something happens. Maybe the texture.

But I promise if you want a good fish sandwhich then get these, and make sure you get some descent buns and Heinz Ketchup.

[​IMG]

haggardfan1 and uriah1 like this.
  18. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

19. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Fish sticks are a 'comfort food' for me...not sure why. But I've been discouraged from keeping them in the freezer I think because wifey can't stand the smell of them cooking. But when I was single they were a big part of my eating routine. I want some now!!!..with mashed potatoes!!

uriah1 likes this.
  20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Today's "fish sticks", parmesan crusted tilapia. I oven cook the whole bag, then pop a piece or 2 in the toaster for 10 minutes for meals later in the week. This time with a bit o' guac on top.

(again as long as the image lasts without being deleted...)

upload_2021-5-12_11-23-43.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.