If there's a sudden shortage of fish sticks, blame me. (food craving/binge content)

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
My mom sure did serve plenty of fish sticks to her hungry brood 60+ years ago and I probably continued to like ‘em through raising our little kids, but haven’t had them in maybe 45 years. We used to make what seemed like passable fish sandwiches with them?

I carried on several of my childhood foods through young adulthood. I’d take Chef Boyardee Ravioli and Beefaroni to deer or trout camp plus Franco American Spaghetti over which I’d sprinkle pepper. I actually liked that stuff but as time moved on I started traveling & experiencing real Italian food + cooked my own, and the last time I had one of those cans of stuff I wondered “how did I used to eat this crap”? I do still eat one or two cans of Vienna sausages each year and that disgusts my wife.

I cook quite a bit of fresh & saltwater fish we catch but may have to try a fish stick sandwich again just to see what I’ve missed all these years.

suave eddie

Friend of Leo's
Same here, only surimi !
Actually I'd rather eat fish sticks than that stuff. I don't consider it to be fish. There's a lot of weird stuff in it. I know it's popular in Japan but I avoid it when I eat sushi, which I could eat every day. There should be a law preventing sushi restaurants from referring to it as "crab". I'll eat a California roll if they have real crab only.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Actually I'd rather eat fish sticks than that stuff. I don't consider it to be fish. There's a lot of weird stuff in it. I know it's popular in Japan but I avoid it when I eat sushi, which I could eat every day. There should be a law preventing sushi restaurants from referring to it as "crab". I'll eat a California roll if they have real crab only.

"crab substitute" :mad: No thanks

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Actually, it was a joke. There are probably more nasty thingise in surimi than in fish sticks. Or maybe it is a 50 / 50. But surimi, no. Just the orange colour and the layers are enough for me to say no.

Our surimi is made with the best fins, heads, fishbones and fishtails you can find. That is it , i have got their slogan.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member

My favourite "sushi" choice is sashimi and sake -- liquid rice!

0*ivmLsHrClIkpdou4.jpg

Bob Mc

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I am fortunate to have my dad's metabolism; I binge so frequently on different foods that I should probably be much more overweight than I am. Once I get a craving zeroed in (and man those fish sticks sound good right now) there is no off button. Stress and boredom are big triggers, and I have a big thing for sweet followed by savory, which makes me want sweets, etc..

And, YES I know that there are health risks not associated with weight!

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I find I can eat them if they're well baked, and the dipping side is a mixture of Sour Cream and Tomatillo Salsa.

It also helps if the sticks are whole fish, as opposed to minced then pasted back together.

I don't think there's any shortage of them. The local grocer has Gortons (any of them) at buy one, get one free. We tend to get the larger pieces of flounder, instead. It doesn't have this so called Panko stuff on there - yuck.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I've never really liked them, but last year I had a craving for them. I tried several different brands and types, but never found one that made me start to like them very much. Too much breading, too much salt. I still have hope though, I love fried fish.

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got a great, but pricey (+/- $30/lb) fish monger. We had red grouper for Mother's Day. The local supermarkets are good. I get $5.99/lb cod or haddock weekly. That said, there's always Gorton's in the freezer.

Chick-N-Picker

Friend of Leo's
I don't really like fish sticks. I mean I can eat a few and they are good but then I don't know something happens. Maybe the texture.

But I promise if you want a good fish sandwhich then get these, and make sure you get some descent buns and Heinz Ketchup.

PREMIUM_COD_FILLETS_RIGHT_TRANSP.png

boneyguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I went to the grocery store late last night to pick up milk and some pizza rolls for my son. We were home by ourselves, and I hadn't eaten anything, and I got a sudden, inexplicable craving for fish. (sidebar: if you can microwave some frozen fish sticks or fillets, why aren't there more frozen dinners with fish and sides??)

Anyway, I got what I needed, found the frozen fish section and in a throwback to my single living days, bought a small bag of the cheapest fish sticks they had, Gorton's I think. By small, I mean a bag intended to feed a small family. I refuse to disclose how many sticks, or servings, were in that bag.

Well, about an hour and part of a movie later, I had made several trips to the microwave and consumed the entire package. Just fish sticks and red seafood cocktail sauce, nothing else. My girlfriend would have been appalled had she been home.

I'm the same way about Pittsburg hot links, but only a time or two a year, and that's predictable. I'm just trying to understand what motivated this; maybe my mercury levels were getting a little low? :lol:. (Only kidding, Gorton's--they were fantastic, I just don't want any more for a while now.)

Do you ever get a craving for a certain food, and when you do, you want ALL of that food at that moment?

Fish sticks are a 'comfort food' for me...not sure why. But I've been discouraged from keeping them in the freezer I think because wifey can't stand the smell of them cooking. But when I was single they were a big part of my eating routine. I want some now!!!..with mashed potatoes!!

rcole_sooner

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Today's "fish sticks", parmesan crusted tilapia. I oven cook the whole bag, then pop a piece or 2 in the toaster for 10 minutes for meals later in the week. This time with a bit o' guac on top.

(again as long as the image lasts without being deleted...)

upload_2021-5-12_11-23-43.png