If there's a sudden shortage of fish sticks, blame me. (food craving/binge content)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, May 11, 2021.

1. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I went to the grocery store late last night to pick up milk and some pizza rolls for my son. We were home by ourselves, and I hadn't eaten anything, and I got a sudden, inexplicable craving for fish. (sidebar: if you can microwave some frozen fish sticks or fillets, why aren't there more frozen dinners with fish and sides??)

Anyway, I got what I needed, found the frozen fish section and in a throwback to my single living days, bought a small bag of the cheapest fish sticks they had, Gorton's I think. By small, I mean a bag intended to feed a small family. I refuse to disclose how many sticks, or servings, were in that bag.

Well, about an hour and part of a movie later, I had made several trips to the microwave and consumed the entire package. Just fish sticks and red seafood cocktail sauce, nothing else. My girlfriend would have been appalled had she been home.

I'm the same way about Pittsburg hot links, but only a time or two a year, and that's predictable. I'm just trying to understand what motivated this; maybe my mercury levels were getting a little low? :lol:. (Only kidding, Gorton's--they were fantastic, I just don't want any more for a while now.)

Do you ever get a craving for a certain food, and when you do, you want ALL of that food at that moment?

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

MAybe you are pregnant ?

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I remember growing up and on certain Fridays my mom would have 2 sheet pans full of
    fish sticks.. those were great....Tartar sauce with catsup..and potatoes on other
    side of sheet pan..

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I haven't had fish sticks in decades, but I can see how they'd become an obsession. @uriah1 had a childhood parallel to mine, apparently. For me it was catsup and fries. A sheet of each in the oven, timed differently so they came out at the same time.

Occasionally, I'll crack open a can of sardines or anchovies. Same impulse to eat some fish.

haggardfan1 and buster poser like this.
  5. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Sounds amazing, I love fish sticks (though we were a Mrs. Paul's house). Haven't had em in forever, but tdpri again has me on a hunt next time I hit the grocery store (ditto Duke's mayo).

My food like that is pepperoncini peppers. I get a quart jar every so often and long ago, I just gave up deluding myself into thinking they'll last more than two days.

getbent, uriah1 and haggardfan1 like this.
  6. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My twin and I could live off fish. Low fat, high protein and Omega 111 oils.
    We can't eat it at their place as his wife is highly allergic to any seafood/shellfish.
    I'd rather have seafood than a steak any day.

1293, dented and haggardfan1 like this.
  7. haggardfan1

I'm pretty sure what causes that; and unfortunately, no. :lol::lol:

LutherBurger and johnny k like this.
  8. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I don't eat that part of the fish.

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My wife's favorite meal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However I have resorted to making my own home made Mac and Cheese sauce versus the packaged radiator fluid flavored version.

RodeoTex, uriah1 and haggardfan1 like this.
  10. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oh, so not custard then.

OmegaWoods and Brad Pittiful like this.
  11. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i was going to ask that too!

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have not eaten fish sticks in decades either. Nor TV dinners. We don't have a microwave or a TV for that matter.

That said, I admit that I get a craving for Kraft mac & cheese though.:oops: We call it our "feel good" fast food. Of course I have to fire up the wood cookstove to boil the water, so "fast" is used loosely.:rolleyes:

13. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, within the last year I did the same thing....lol. We never had fish sticks at home ever. I must have had them somewhere though. But I was in the store and I had a craving. I bought the smallest bag and some cocktail sauce. I went home and cooked the whole bag in the oven and ate them. o_O I just remembered yesterday as I was cleaning out the fridge and saw the bottle of cocktail sauce there. I generally use it for french fries which I don't have very often either.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

The hot deli is back at Pick N Save, which means battered cod (without having to wait in line at a Culver's drive-through) :)

haggardfan1 likes this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm happy to say that I've left my fish sticks era in the dust. I get fresh seafood from the coast once a week, occasionally twice a week. And it gets broiled or grilled (if scallops, I may pan sear them in bacon fat).
    Fish sticks, Treet (cheaper Spam knockoff), and creamed tuna on toast were regulars in my childhood that I really don't feel the need to revisit.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sometimes for lunch I'll make a box of Kraft Dinner (or Annie's) and toss in a can of Rio Mare (the best canned tuna I know):

[​IMG]

We have fish (usually salmon) once or twice a week so it's more of a "what can I eat" than a craving.

Preacher and haggardfan1 like this.
  17. haggardfan1

I like it on fries too! In fact, ketchup is kind of a last resort for me. I prefer most anything else on french fries: Heinz 57, cocktail sauce, bbq sauce, even tartar sauce.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

The 1950’s and 1960’s saw an explosion of convenience food items. Less work for mother, who was headed back to the workforce. I remember Tyson’s chicken, Dinty Moore beef stew, Mrs. Paul’s fish sticks, Kraft Mac and Cheese, Tang, Campbell’s soup, and all sorts of other stuff I’d never touch now. And I still can’t believe that Kraft was allowed to call that stuff cheese. Look back at movies and TV of the era at how thin people were. Convenience and snack foods started the obesity epidemic. As a kid, I grabbed Hostess Snoballs rather than an apple. I’m still fighting that battle today. We try to buy non processed whole foods for meals but the pantry is still full of crap. The difference is that the snack foods are now expensive high quality garbage. No more half gallons of Sealtest ice cream. Now the freezer is stocked with Hagen Das and Dove Bars. This is what it looks like when you win the battle but lose the war. Sacrifice the many for the profit of the few who sacrifice themselves for the profit of others.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Now I want Tang :(

kingofdogs1950 and Stubee like this.
  20. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

These have been my "fish sticks" of choice for a few years now.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.