If there's a sudden shortage of fish sticks, blame me. (food craving/binge content)

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I went to the grocery store late last night to pick up milk and some pizza rolls for my son. We were home by ourselves, and I hadn't eaten anything, and I got a sudden, inexplicable craving for fish. (sidebar: if you can microwave some frozen fish sticks or fillets, why aren't there more frozen dinners with fish and sides??)

Anyway, I got what I needed, found the frozen fish section and in a throwback to my single living days, bought a small bag of the cheapest fish sticks they had, Gorton's I think. By small, I mean a bag intended to feed a small family. I refuse to disclose how many sticks, or servings, were in that bag.

Well, about an hour and part of a movie later, I had made several trips to the microwave and consumed the entire package. Just fish sticks and red seafood cocktail sauce, nothing else. My girlfriend would have been appalled had she been home.

I'm the same way about Pittsburg hot links, but only a time or two a year, and that's predictable. I'm just trying to understand what motivated this; maybe my mercury levels were getting a little low? :lol:. (Only kidding, Gorton's--they were fantastic, I just don't want any more for a while now.)

Do you ever get a craving for a certain food, and when you do, you want ALL of that food at that moment?

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I haven't had fish sticks in decades, but I can see how they'd become an obsession. @uriah1 had a childhood parallel to mine, apparently. For me it was catsup and fries. A sheet of each in the oven, timed differently so they came out at the same time.

Occasionally, I'll crack open a can of sardines or anchovies. Same impulse to eat some fish.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Sounds amazing, I love fish sticks (though we were a Mrs. Paul's house). Haven't had em in forever, but tdpri again has me on a hunt next time I hit the grocery store (ditto Duke's mayo).

My food like that is pepperoncini peppers. I get a quart jar every so often and long ago, I just gave up deluding myself into thinking they'll last more than two days.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife's favorite meal.

9f0415af-a783-4e22-9e3b-2735a261b3a5.b567707b905b5a95afd9a3fd05ae7447.jpeg

6ed0fac2-6e4f-41da-b12e-794568265ab3.db5d27d1c425648a76ab101e24fde817.jpeg

However I have resorted to making my own home made Mac and Cheese sauce versus the packaged radiator fluid flavored version.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have not eaten fish sticks in decades either. Nor TV dinners. We don't have a microwave or a TV for that matter.

That said, I admit that I get a craving for Kraft mac & cheese though.:oops: We call it our "feel good" fast food. Of course I have to fire up the wood cookstove to boil the water, so "fast" is used loosely.:rolleyes:

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Wow, within the last year I did the same thing....lol. We never had fish sticks at home ever. I must have had them somewhere though. But I was in the store and I had a craving. I bought the smallest bag and some cocktail sauce. I went home and cooked the whole bag in the oven and ate them. o_O I just remembered yesterday as I was cleaning out the fridge and saw the bottle of cocktail sauce there. I generally use it for french fries which I don't have very often either.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The hot deli is back at Pick N Save, which means battered cod (without having to wait in line at a Culver's drive-through) :)

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm happy to say that I've left my fish sticks era in the dust. I get fresh seafood from the coast once a week, occasionally twice a week. And it gets broiled or grilled (if scallops, I may pan sear them in bacon fat).
Fish sticks, Treet (cheaper Spam knockoff), and creamed tuna on toast were regulars in my childhood that I really don't feel the need to revisit.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My wife's favorite meal.

9f0415af-a783-4e22-9e3b-2735a261b3a5.b567707b905b5a95afd9a3fd05ae7447.jpeg

6ed0fac2-6e4f-41da-b12e-794568265ab3.db5d27d1c425648a76ab101e24fde817.jpeg

However I have resorted to making my own home made Mac and Cheese sauce versus the packaged radiator fluid flavored version.

Sometimes for lunch I'll make a box of Kraft Dinner (or Annie's) and toss in a can of Rio Mare (the best canned tuna I know):

s-l640.jpg

We have fish (usually salmon) once or twice a week so it's more of a "what can I eat" than a craving.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
Wow, within the last year I did the same thing....lol. We never had fish sticks at home ever. I must have had them somewhere though. But I was in the store and I had a craving. I bought the smallest bag and some cocktail sauce. I went home and cooked the whole bag in the oven and ate them. o_O I just remembered yesterday as I was cleaning out the fridge and saw the bottle of cocktail sauce there. I generally use it for french fries which I don't have very often either.

I like it on fries too! In fact, ketchup is kind of a last resort for me. I prefer most anything else on french fries: Heinz 57, cocktail sauce, bbq sauce, even tartar sauce.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
The 1950’s and 1960’s saw an explosion of convenience food items. Less work for mother, who was headed back to the workforce. I remember Tyson’s chicken, Dinty Moore beef stew, Mrs. Paul’s fish sticks, Kraft Mac and Cheese, Tang, Campbell’s soup, and all sorts of other stuff I’d never touch now. And I still can’t believe that Kraft was allowed to call that stuff cheese. Look back at movies and TV of the era at how thin people were. Convenience and snack foods started the obesity epidemic. As a kid, I grabbed Hostess Snoballs rather than an apple. I’m still fighting that battle today. We try to buy non processed whole foods for meals but the pantry is still full of crap. The difference is that the snack foods are now expensive high quality garbage. No more half gallons of Sealtest ice cream. Now the freezer is stocked with Hagen Das and Dove Bars. This is what it looks like when you win the battle but lose the war. Sacrifice the many for the profit of the few who sacrifice themselves for the profit of others.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The 1950’s and 1960’s saw an explosion of convenience food items. Less work for mother, who was headed back to the workforce. I remember Tyson’s chicken, Dinty Moore beef stew, Mrs. Paul’s fish sticks, Kraft Mac and Cheese, Tang, Campbell’s soup, and all sorts of other stuff I’d never touch now. And I still can’t believe that Kraft was allowed to call that stuff cheese. Look back at movies and TV of the era at how thin people were. Convenience and snack foods started the obesity epidemic. As a kid, I grabbed Hostess Snoballs rather than an apple. I’m still fighting that battle today. We try to buy non processed whole foods for meals but the pantry is still full of crap. The difference is that the snack foods are now expensive high quality garbage. No more half gallons of Sealtest ice cream. Now the freezer is stocked with Hagen Das and Dove Bars. This is what it looks like when you win the battle but lose the war. Sacrifice the many for the profit of the few who sacrifice themselves for the profit of others.

Now I want Tang :(