1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If there was no internet...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JimmyJam, Apr 6, 2012.

1. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

You can still get those newspaper things, you know. :)

2. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Without the internet....

All of us would practice alot more. We wouldn't have guitar forums to distract us from playing.

We also wouldn't know what strings to buy, care about nitro vs poly, what amp was the best, pedal to make us sound just like...... , sounds like alot of us would be better players listening to our ears..

Maybe it wouldn't be si bad.. the greats had no internet and they seemed to get by just fine.

3. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

That being said, I am dangerous with a little information; and with a ton of it I am lethal, at best. :p

Makes you think about the things we didn't know 10+ years ago, and the things we did know and stuck by them. Only to change our tune.

Could've sworn I'd play that PRS till the day I died...:rolleyes:

4. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

Although it's easy to say we'd be practicing a lot more and that the Internet has been detrimental to actual guitar skills, I'm not so sure. Want to learn the solo to Comfortably Numb? Don't bother going into town to look for a tab book, go on YouTube and there'll be a whole bunch of videos offering to teach you it for free (and yeah I know that some won't be that good, but a guitarist with a good ear can distinguish). Need to sort out your guitar's action? Instead of leaving your guitar with a tech for a few days, just do a Go*gle search and you'll find plenty of websites showing you how.

To me at least, the Internet has been a positive thing as regards guitar playing (especially since I joined TDPRI!).

5. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

To this day I've never been much of a gear guy, always cared more about playing than the equipment.

The Internet, YouTube especially, has totally made me a better guitarist. I was pretty late in embracing the 'net and computers in general. Before I did I thought I was a pretty good player. So did my friends and family. After getting into YouTube about 5 years ago it really became easy to discover new (well, new to me) artist and players...as well as watching average Joes all over the world who could play much better than myself. I soon realized I wasn't as good as I thought, wasn't that good at all actually. From there I really became determined to get better. My knowledge of music theory has expanded, my interest in other styles and techniques has expanded. It's a never ending journey for me, there's always something to learn and the internet makes it easy to do. So these days my playing doesn't get stagnant for long periods of time like it used to. I'm on my way to becoming more of a musician than just a guy who plays guitar.

Also, I wouldn't be playing my Teles. I'm another guy who just had to 'build' his own Tele after finding this site. It's now my favorite guitar and has kept me from the GAS since I finished it in December 2010.

6. ZZRyder

ZZRyder Tele-Meister

If it wasnt for the Net I would have more money in my pocket.
    Up side I have a guitarsenal!

7. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

Never had much concern for those debates before or after the Internet. Not denying that I occasionally waste time online like anyone else, but as I said in my previous post, the internet has really benefitted my playing way more than it has ever been a distraction.

Though I don't post much there, the Theory forum here alone is a great resource. I'm always hanging out and learning from those guys.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Without the internet, my music collection would be much smaller. My band would also have a narrower set list.
    On the other hand, there would still be a lot more music stores.

9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

i'm reading Stephen King's 11/22/63, about time travel backwards. the protagonist is from 2011 and ends up in 1958 moving towards the Kennedy assassination. he had to loose the cell phone, use money of the period (silver certificates) and messes up by singing "Satisfaction" years before it comes out and accidentally dropping some "modern" phrases that the folks, back then, didn't get.

interesting read

10. HappyTelecaster

HappyTelecaster Tele-Meister

Without the internet I`d probably read more books. And still listen to vinyl records and CDs. And I would buy more guitar magazines for sure.

11. electricjr

electricjr Tele-Holic

Without the internet, I'd have a stronger bond with my family, way fewer guitars, a lot more time to exercise, read, cook, socialize, etc. I'd certainly play more and obsess less over the minutiae of my gear- I literally just bought another guitar less than an hour ago. I think I need to get off this thing right now. See you all in an hour,

me

12. mike steel

mike steel Tele-Meister

Yeah. what if you don't?

Slavishly replicating the greats has never been my bag.

The internet is not going to teach you how to think about music at any more than the most basic level. Just how to copy stuff.

You mention people with 'a good ear'. Transcribe it. Like in the good old days.

13. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Stronger bond with family is way more important than the internert..

14. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Part of guitar lessons for me was ear training, picked a song.. listened over and over figuring out what was played.. it ended up being a vital part of lessons.

You tube will not teach you to listen to the song and figure the parts out for yourself..

Oh hell it wasn't easy.. but glad I can do it.

15. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I'd probably stop talking and play my guitar a lot more!

16. Lee Harvey

Lee Harvey Banned

Isn't that a good enough reason to turn off the internet?

17. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

This is what I have found also. I'm not as good as I think that I am, and that there is a lot to learn out there.

18. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

After starting with lessons in 3rd grade and taking them for a year, I quit and began using my ear to learn songs. Few years later I started reading the tabs in Guitar for the Practicing Musician then later buying the tab books of my favorites like Jimi, Clapton, Santana, etc.

As I got older, and better, I started to get into more diverse and slightly more obscure stuff...at least for a teenager in the early to mid-nineties. Blues, funk, soul, even hip hop. This is when my ear started to develop...I wasn't going to find a Meters, Funkadelic, or Mandrill tab book, so I know all about rewinding cassette tapes and CDs to cop parts. Always liked figuring out the parts for whatever rap songs were popular at the time too, whether it was a bass or synth line, I'd play it on guitar. I'd then find out the source of the sample and often get turned on to whomever the original band was.

Where the Internet comes in is later, more recently actually, when my taste became less bluesy and pentatonic and slightly more well rounded. It's not easy for a kid playin mostly blues and rock for almost 20 years to understand what a tritone substitution is, or how diminished and augmented chords are constructed and used etc. At least it wasn't for me. But search Youtube or Google and you'll find all kinds of lessons with varying levels of difficulty on those or any other musical topics. So I started to get jazzier influences, then came here and started to dig country guitar as well.

So my point is, using YouTube is so much more than just becoming a parrot, at least for me. I don't rely on it as crutch because I'm too lazy to learn a part by ear...I've done plenty of that in my time, I know my ear is good. But if I'm feeling like I'm in a rut and maybe want to get into something like bossa nova, or some more advanced open string country licks, or Travis picking (which I still can't do), or jazz chord melody, etc etc...it's only a click away. That's why it's great...to me.

19. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Pre internet, I bought more magazines, watched more TV, played more golf.

But I like the internet. And if it gets too nutty, you can always turn it off and hit the road. It will be there when you get back.

20. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

two pages about "no internet" and no one has mentioned a certain industry that boomed only in magazines previously..am i the only dirty mind?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.