1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If the Strat had been invented first...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 2HBStrat, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

After all these years, it still amazes me, how few Strats are available from the factory, with the neck and bridge pickups useable, at the same time. The Tele players of the fifties, when first encountering a Strat, must have been confused.....and nothing has changed.

I'm one of millions of players, who finds the placement of the volume pot inconvenient. Something else, that players are obliged to remedy themselves, so no....enough of this talk about 'perfecting' the Tele. The Strat has it's idiosyncrasies, too and you either deal with them, work around them, or choose a different guitar.

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If the Strat had come first and Leo later decided to design a 2-pickup guitar with a fixed bridge, it probably would have looked like this-

Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 9.48.11 AM.png

3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Had the Stratocaster been invented first, the market would have demanded a simpler lower priced guitar. That guitar would have had to appeal to guitarists playing low paying gigs in road houses. Jazzmaster and Jaguar were "upscale", made for LA and Orange county and the wealth concentrated there. East coast too. When I was in high school, Telecaster was the cheap Fender. I had a Jazzmaster. Telecaster or something very much like it would have had to have been made.

4. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Leo did stick his neck out there with his design

[​IMG]

mmannaxx likes this.
  5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They might have developed a tele to get simpler, no trem, two pickups, one volume and tone control, etc. But I'll bet you a dollar they wouldn't have had three saddle bridges. NOBODY would have asked for that...

-Ray

Erwin, Greggorios, voodoogreg and 2 others like this.
  6. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Good Q 2HBstrat .... any G&L officiandos/historians out there?

Why? Well I was just wondering if there's any relationship as to what might have been (re: Tele-Strat or Strat-Tele in the Fender days) by knowing his first G&L design/guitar to hit the stores.

ie Did he automatically revisit the Tele/ASAT design first or did he first develop an "S"/Legacy style for G&L?

7. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I think he would have developed the Telecaster regardless of what was out there. I have never needed 3 pups on any guitar to be sure, and rarely use two together. I use primarily the neck pups on all my guitars because it delivers the tone I like. But the Telecaster will always be my favorite guitar of all time due to its simplicity and versatile tone capabilities.
    I guess my favorite Telecaster moment was Steve Howe picking up a Tele at a Yes concert years ago and absolutely wearing it out. The man sho’ can play.

kevindsingleton likes this.
  8. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 TDPRI Member

Everyone seems to be conveniently forgetting the single/double pickup Musicmaster/Duo Sonic and Mustang lines. For guitarists looking for something less expensive and/or simpler, these were Leo's answer.

bftfender likes this.
  9. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Probably...but it would have had one Strat pickup mounted in the middle, a hardtail Strat bridge and a 24" scale, Strat pickguard with output jack in position T2 and been marketed as a student model.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Engineers and designers and product development people always start with the simplest proof of concept that gets the job done.

Had the Trem Strat (no hardtail) appeared out of no-where, too many people who bought it would never have figured out how to get it to set up. And it would have been a total, business wrecking failure.

The Esquire and Telecaster/Broadcaster are foundational to people having trust in Leo Fender to construct a giggable guitar. Because it was so simple, people couldn't really bugger it up. By comparison a trem Strat is easy to get wrong. And a Jazzmaster and especially a Jaguar, is so prone to ending up in unplayable shape that even though relatively few were made, almost all still remain because they were not in the trenches, but on the sidelines - under some person's bed in a case, hardly played.

11. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

This ^^^^....

12. beeflin

beeflin TDPRI Member

I've always thought the Strat's thin sounding pickups are a slight problem, and the Tele's wonderfully firm treble and louder sound definitely fixes that.

lwaun likes this.
  13. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

No one has addressed tuning issues. Hey Leo, this Strat thing is nice and all, but I can't keep it in tune very well.
    How about that Tele thing, does it stay in tune?

14. wawood

wawood TDPRI Member

Wrong! The Les Paul (mahogany and maple cap) has nothing in common with a Tele except strings. The Les Paul was even produced as a 12 string. The Tele didn't, but the Strat did. The SG (LP for a short time) was a slab of wood with strings, like the Tele, but there's that mahogany thing again and the "horns" and the carved body. Today some SGs have maple caps. So what was copied, string guage?

15. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

We would have seen something similar or there would be a lot more Les Paul players. Vibrato bridges aren’t for everyone.

16. shingshangshawn

shingshangshawn NEW MEMBER!

I don't know if I did it for the comfortablity of it so much, but I completely agree with the opinions of those who think that the Strat has two too MANY pickups than needed. That's why I took my dead Strat, wired her with a simple Humbucker, and a very easy 1v/t setup. I find the variety and options of a 5 way switch blade too distracting, but that's just me. As for the TELECASTER...! For SOME reason, I've thought it was one of the most beautiful things on Earth when I was younger. Bruce Springsteen's blonde Esquire on the cover of the "Born in the USA" album and seeing particular drummers when I was still in Pampers in the early 80's assured me that I didn't WANT to TRY to learn how to play music of any kind, but that I WOULD learn. 13 different instruments, and not a single lesson in the middle. And I thank Jah every day for Leo Fender giving us the Broadcaster!

Attached Files:

pippoman and Mistahbrock like this.
  17. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

From memory, he developed the SC2 and maybe one other before he went and did the ASAT (Special) because people wanted a more traditional looking guitar. By then he already had the Saddlelock bridge and the MFD pickups so the truly evolutionary stuff was already in the mix. Legacy came after that.

41144 likes this.
  18. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

Interesting ? Hard to say.

19. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

The first G&L model was the F-100, decidedly Fender looking but not a copy.

41144 likes this.
  20. Sheraton

Sheraton TDPRI Member

A PRS Custom 24

thunderbyrd and Paulie13 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.