If the Milkyways stars were grains of sand….

Powdog

TDPRI Member
Ok star gazers, to help bring cosmic merriment to your Memorial Day weekend comet SW3 will be passing by Earth on Monday night/Tuesday morning. First discovered in 1930, it has broken up into over 60 pieces and could potentially create a meteor shower spawning up to 1000 shooting stars an hour. This also corresponds with the new moon, so nighttime visibility should be perfect. Of course, astronomers say there is just as good a chance that it might be a total bust. Either way, a good excuse to lie on your back Monday night and watch the sky.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
my only advise to any of you is stay away from black holes , or white holes for that matter, or any other matter ....... ok , ok , just stay in school and be safe !

and avoid dark energy , and Bozon the clown, in particular ( see what i did there?) especially if he wants to show you Mr. Wiggly

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Ok star gazers, to help bring cosmic merriment to your Memorial Day weekend comet SW3 will be passing by Earth on Monday night/Tuesday morning. First discovered in 1930, it has broken up into over 60 pieces and could potentially create a meteor shower spawning up to 1000 shooting stars an hour. This also corresponds with the new moon, so nighttime visibility should be perfect. Of course, astronomers say there is just as good a chance that it might be a total bust. Either way, a good excuse to lie on your back Monday night and watch the sky.

What, and take a chance on getting hit by a falling piece of rock?

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
my only advise to any of you is stay away from black holes , or white holes for that matter, or any other matter ....... ok , ok , just stay in school and be safe !

and avoid dark energy , and Bozon the clown, in particular ( see what i did there?) especially if he wants to show you Mr. Wiggly
Sayyyyyy, is dis you?😁😁😁

TG

Doctor of Teleocity
I like to try to envisage these things. The sizes....the distances....the numbers. It kind of gives me a reassuring calmness for some reason, like it's OK to live in the moment and do the best we can here, but overall it doesn't really matter.

I like to find the Andromeda galaxy in the night sky (we're out in the middle of nowhere and have very little light pollution). That little smudge of light is the furthest thing you can see with the naked eye and you are seeing it as it was about 2.5 million years ago. Those photons travelled that long though space and ended up in your retinas in your eyes. I think that's kind of cool.

Here's another topic that's interesting. I don't have accurate numbers, but as the amount of water on Earth is pretty well exactly the same as it always was and is constantly mixing it turns out that there is at any moment many millions of water molecules in your body that were in dinosaurs at some point. Every dinosaur, in fact.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
Brian may in a lecture ( also on Youtube) recently said " Dust to dust, that's what we are, literally. I'm a scientist."
I'd ask him. Space must be vast. It takes light from our sun about 8 mins. 20 secs. to reach us at speed of light. And we're just a star and galaxy in a giant Mathematical patterned system.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.
Of course you are my bright little star,

we're thinking stardust..:)
There you go man, keep as cool as you can
Face piles
Of trials
With smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave
And keep on thinking free

I still don't see how those space telescopes can pick out a star in a galaxy outside of our own galaxy

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
There you go man, keep as cool as you can
Face piles
Of trials
With smiles
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave
And keep on thinking free

I still don't see how those space telescopes can pick out a star in a galaxy outside of our own galaxy
Because those space telescopes have some world class software behind them resolving those distant objects, also we as a species have around 500 years worth of experience building lenses and we've gotten pretty good at it....fantastically good at it.

StuH

Friend of Leo's
Andromeda is visible to the naked eye however even in optimal viewing conditions, you likely won't see it if you are looking directly at it. It becomes visible when you look slightly away with averted vision.

Slightly off topic but blew me away when I first discovered this.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
And it all weighs a lot more than it should. Dark matter is heavy. Therefore, a LP is made up of dark matter. I’m going for a lie down now……….
Science still can’t explain how a vinyl disc on its own weighs mere ounces yet when placed in a box with a few others it increases in weight exponentially...
Neither can it solve “Fender Twin at midnight syndrome“.

Last edited:

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Another interesting space fact: the Voyager 1 probe is now 13.5 million miles away but still sending data back. (There are a few current concerns with it but they think they can resolve those).

Voyager 2 is 12 million miles away and still transmitting.

They were launched in the mid to late 70's.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Science still can’t explain how a vinyl disc on its own weighs mere ounces yet when placed in a box with a few increases in weight exponentially...
Neither can it solve “Fender Twin at midnight syndrome“.

Or why it's so easy to gain weight (mass) but so difficult to shed it. I blame a substance I've written a theory about called "sticky dark matter". Also known as chocolate cake.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Another interesting space fact: the Voyager 1 probe is now 13.5 million miles away but still sending data back. (There are a few current concerns with it but they think they can resolve those).

Voyager 2 is 12 million miles away and still transmitting.

They were launched in the mid to late 70's.

Surely you meant “billion” instead of “million”.

They have traveled far, that’s for sure.