If the brick and mortar stores all drop Fender/Squier what will kids start out on?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1996Standard, Jan 31, 2015.

1. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

G&L duh...

2. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

I played a Peavey when I was a kid. Strat copy and a good guitar.

3. Shane_B.

Shane_B. Tele-Meister

Yeah, but Sweetwater will throw in a strap, cable, and case for free, and ship it for free. And there'll be a salesman that hounds you constantly wanting to sell you stuff that you can call back and scream at if something is messed up. Plus, you get some free candy! Yay!

You'll have none of that with Fender. If something is wrong, they'll tell you to contact your local dealer. Oh wait ... DOH!

4. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Couldn't agree more, if I spend $1300 on a guitar I want my damn Bit-O-Honey and Tootsie Roll!!!

5. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Danelectro or Airline guitars

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

They will probably all just learn to play an accordion. An accordion, a girl, a glass of wine. The world goes on.

7. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

G&L tributes. Price point on some of them is comparable to MIM fenders and squires. There's still $100 starter guitars out there besides squire, as well. Epiphone, Ibanez and Yamaha should also have options for starter guitars

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

You see THOSE in stores? :eek:

9. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Finally. Bagpipes will have their chance to take over Rock as we know it…

10. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

All the time, all the time

11. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

If Fender cuts out most of the retail stores, I see this as hurting them major.

For one thing, I've never seen factory direct do much in the way of discounting, unless it was something in a small niche market. As it stands now, Why buy direct from Fender, when I can buy the same exact thing from someone else but for a hundred or two cheaper? No one really ever pays MSRP for instruments, and if they expect otherwise, they'll be hurting.

12. andywallace

andywallace TDPRI Member

I'd never buy a guitar that I haven't had in my greasy mitts.

13. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As near as I can tell... Fender sells their whole product line direct through their website now. General MAP pricing seems to apply.

All the major online retailers, and Fender direct, seem to have the same posted pricing.

I might buy direct, for the simple reason that anything bought directly from Fender will not be shipped anywhere else (potential for wear or damage) and damn sure won't be opened or shopworn. Just something to consider.

Personally, I think this is only the first move. I see them going 100% factory direct. They'll make a ton more money.

I'd estimate 75% of Fender sales are via net anyhow. Why not sell it all themselves, for MAP rather than dealer cost? And they don't have to give anybody terms, or pay shipping as incentive on bulk orders. They'll up their revenue a ton. It's smart.

They still have dealers. For now. I'm betting that by going direct, they're betting on tons of dealers jumping ship, and eventually, the rest of the dealer agreements will expire. It's a total win/win for them.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I'd expect 'Fender Experience' centres to appear some time as they develop their lifestyle branding. Any big company not looking at long term strategy in the age of online shopping is in trouble. With a lifestyle approach customers won't care if they tried the fender out first either as long as they have one with the right name to show their Facebook friends.

Other competing online retailers are taking a cut for a distribution model that is not needed anymore too and many brick and mortar stores lose out and will lose more as people just try a guitar out, leave and then look for a deal online to complete the purchase.

I can imagine Squiers and cheaper fenders selling well direct from fender online to kids.

I am thinking it could either go all online or music stores will have to reinvent themselves as book stores did with coffee shops, events and other services to offer an alternative and better retail experience.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  15. cowboytwang

cowboytwang Poster Extraordinaire

I think my first 3 or 4 instruments were all mail order. My first guitar was from the Montgomery Wards catalog, and my first banjo was from Sears Roebuck catalog. This was back in the '60s and early '70s. Back then I only went into a music store if I needed to buy strings, everything else I ordered from catalogs. Now in the '80s I ran a music store for a few years, and spent some time in many stores.
    I don't know if brick and mortar music stores are even relevant anymore. I can count on one hand how many times I've bought something in a music store in the past 10 years. Usually can get most anything faster and cheaper on line or from distributors that I know.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I humbly apologize. I didn't know.

I'm still not worried.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I was thinking today that it's probably worth remembering that there are like a kazillion used guitars out there. It's not like access to Squiers and Fenders will really be restricted for the foreseeable future....

Kids will start out with used ones, get hooked, and then start buying new ones on-line.

The REAL winners will continue to be FedEx and UPS....

18. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

What's Walmart going to do? The rest of the discussion is essentially moot.

19. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Tele-Holic

I have in the past and will continue to do so as long as there's a liberal no hassle return policy.

20. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

I personally like to try guitars before I buy them, but that is just me. I started with a squier, like many did. It actually has a pretty decent neck on it! Its a SE squier strat. I have played some older acoustics from the 60's and I can see why some people are grateful for even the cheapest made modern guitars, the action on some vintage beginner guitars is super high, to the point of almost unplayable on some, and thats coming from someone who likes medium string height on their guitars. I honestly am unsure of the future for new kids and guitars, Its all going to be what the next guitar heroes of their generation are playing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.