1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If Ringo were kicked of The Beatles because he sucked...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Jan 3, 2018.

1. JimB

JimB Tele-Meister

I hadn't known that Larry the Cable Guy played rhythm guitar for the Ventures

2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I liked Ringo as their drummer and also I get the impression that Ringo was the glue that held the Beatles together for as long as they were together .He always had a good relationships with John, Paul and George, post Beatles.

3. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

11th January 1963, “Please please me/Ask me why” released. First Beatles record fifty five years ago and I lost my copy sometime over those fifty five years.[emoji45]

BeatlesAreMyJam likes this.
  4. The_Doctor [EV]

The_Doctor [EV] Tele-Meister

From the gist of what I read in Geoff Emerick's book, George was a lesser guitarist in some ways when he first started working with them, taking a long time in the studio to get his parts to what they should've been when Paul could basically just toss off solos like it was nothing (Taxman being the prime example). You'd make him out as some sort of Paul fanboy, except he went out of his way to say how much George improved thanks to his study of Indian music, to the degree where (if I recall correctly) the "Something" solo was a single take recorded live with the orchestra. Personally, I can believe that. George absolutely became a better guitarist.

And maybe I'm just speaking as a young person who came into this music later, maybe I haven't had decades of hearing "Silly Love Songs" on the radio to taint my perception, but I absolutely think Paul's solo career, or with Wings, is actually hugely underrated. The idea that Band on the Run is somehow an aberration of high quality doesn't work for me when I also find so much excellent music on Ram and Venus and Mars and others. Hell, the real rot doesn't set in until the 80s. Band on the Run may have been the only record he did that could fight a top-tier Beatles record and win, but that shouldn't cloud our judgment on his other stuff.

davidchagrin and RoyBGood like this.
  5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Ringo is a great drummer, actually. He has music to his drumming, he is not rushed, and sounds awesome.

6. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah well George ousted them all out of the gate solo, as well as the biggest Beatle hit, as far as I know, 'Something'.

7. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

This whole debate about whether Ringo was a great drummer, or George a decent guitarist is COMPLETELY missing the point about the band. Was Paul the best singer or bass player ever? Was John the best rhythm guitarist ever? Probably not, but who cares?

If your definition of a great band is simply one that in which every member is amongst the very best musicians, playing at the top of their game, then you should be looking elsewhere - Cream, ELP, Discipline-era King Crimson maybe.

Of course all four of the Beatles were talented but the reason they became the most important band of all time is not their individual musicianship but that they were always greater - much greater in fact - than the sum of their parts.

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

It seems to me that this question sucks, and not Ringo.

9. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Frank'n'censed and davidchagrin like this.
  10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Yesterday" was their biggest hit. Ironically, Paul was the only Beatle on that song. Just him and a string section playing a George Martin arrangement.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

that's pretty ironic, I'd agree. Kinda like "My Ding a Ling" being Chuck's biggest hit. WTF

12. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've been in more than one band where a drummer with little respect for Ringo changed his mind after gigging a few Beatles songs.

Frank'n'censed likes this.
  13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I would question the musicality of any musician who thinks badly of Ringo's playing. To a musician, there is nothing simple in his playing. He had to come up with his iconic sounds and rhythms in response to what the others were doing in the studio.

McCartney recently described the Beatles' work habits during their heyday. He said that George and Ringo's contributions were essentially ingredients to the songs. He went on to say that they got it, in terms of what the songs needed, and that they didn't need to be told what to do. That ability to "get" a song in the studio is what made Ringo and George such important players in the band. You can hear from demo recordings by Lennon, done with guitar and voice, how much was added to the song in the studio.

My wife, one of the most beautiful and desirable women in the world, always liked Ringo best. Case closed.

14. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

I’m okay with The Beatles, it’s the ridiculous claims people make on their behalf that I struggle with.

I have a renewed interest ( coinciding with the revival of this thread!)having been to The Beatles Story recently, I didn’t know ( although I don’t think it’s an obscure fact) that session drummer Andy White played on Love Me Do and PS I Love You. He was supposed to do more but was sidelined in favour of Ringo by Paul, John and George ( against the wishes of George Martin) so they must have seen something in Ringo. I don’t know a lot about Andy but he did some fairly high profile gigs ( such as Tom Jones) so he must have been technically competent by the standards of the day.
    Wether he could sing or could have narrated Thomas the Tank Engine* I don’t know.

* I think Ringo only did a few, most of them were done by a soundalike.

15. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

The man’s a Sir-tified great...end of story

16. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Ringo did the first season. The secoNd one was actually a much better reader. But ringo has a lovely charm.

RoyalBaby likes this.
  17. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Poster Extraordinaire

It was Michael Angelis, out of The Liver Birds and Boys From The Black Stuff.

RoyalBaby and dlew919 like this.
  18. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

My eldest son was a big Thomas fan when he was younger so we watched a lot of episodes. Didn't know it was him though.

19. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I always get a "chuckle out of these things - as Sir Ringo would say, "Peace and Love Everybody"!

20. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

PETE BEST FOREVER! RINGO NEVER!

dlew919 and jimilee like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.