1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If Phil Collins had Just one single tear in each passing year

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rz350, Feb 24, 2021.

1. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Just so you know. I used to be his double.;) I took all the flak. The avatar pic u see to the left is me some 30 years ago. Just added it in for this occasion. We made a spin out of it...can't play the drums to save my life, and I sing so poorly that even deaf people refuses to read my lips...

StevesBoogie and P Thought like this.
  2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Regarding his excessive use of cymbals, I wonder where anyone got that from. Here's the rundown on PG's third album where no cymbals were used, anywhere.

"Gabriel's ex-bandmate Phil Collins, who succeeded him as Genesis's lead vocalist, played drums on several of the album's tracks. "Intruder" has been cited as the first use of Collins' "gated drum" sound. This effect, as created by Steve Lillywhite, Collins and Hugh Padgham,was featured on Collins' and Genesis's recordings throughout the 1980s. The distinctive sound was identified via experiments by Lillywhite, Collins and Padgham, in response to Gabriel's request that Collins and Jerry Marotta not use cymbals on the album's sessions.

"Artists given complete freedom die a horrible death," Gabriel explained to Mark Blake. "So, when you tell them what they can't do, they get creative and say, 'Oh yes I can,' which is why I banned cymbals. Phil was cool about it. Jerry Marotta did object and it took him a while to settle in. It's like being right-handed and having to learn to write with your left.In an interview for Genesis: The Sum Of The Parts, Collins confirmed he was amenable to the request, but admitted asking Peter what he was supposed to do with his other hand!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.