1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If Phil Collins had Just one single tear in each passing year

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rz350, Feb 24, 2021.

1. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

.... He'd have 44 tears.

I never really liked that song " Follow you, follow me, written in 1977, a bad year for me.....

2. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Sorry it was a bad year for you. The following year, 1978, when it charted on the radio, was a great year for me because I met my lovely wife that year. We consider that song "our song."

Bob

Chip and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t think I’ve ever heard this one?

Is it Genesis Phil Collins or solo Phil?

MatsEriksson likes this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

My twin is a great drummer taught by a peer of Buddy Rich and he hates Phil Collins for his boom, crash , smashing cymbals style. He says he forged the way for drummers to ruin songs.

BB and MatsEriksson like this.
  5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

44 Tears ? That's nothin' ...

MatsEriksson, trev333, bsman and 4 others like this.
  6. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Interesting.

I have heard that song over the years, but had no awareness of it from the time of its release.

In fact, if you were to play it for me just last week, and ask me when it came out, I would have probably guessed 1985 or so.

I was not a Genesis fan per se, and only became a Peter Gabriel fan right around that time when I discovered his first solo album in 1977.

I collected all of Peter's solo albums for many years, and only later came to listen to/appreciate Genesis in all its incarnations.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MatsEriksson and ale.istotle like this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

8. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Genesis Phil C.
    From "Then There Where Three" album Genesis when they decided to sell out, and got a hit with it in 1977-1978. Like the flanger intro though, but rest is meh sentimental ballad. I don't think Phil Collins started to "destroy" or ruin songs with cymbals crashing. At all. He was quite at ease with playing all of the drums on Peter Gabriels 3rd album without ANY cymbal, at all. On all songs....

If there ever was one who "destroyed" songs with crashing cymbals it would be Cozy Powell. He'd hit a cymbal as fast as he saw one.

nojazzhere and Fretting out like this.
  9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

‘When they decided to sell out.”

It does suck when a band decides they can make good money playing their original songs.

archetype likes this.
  10. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I actually didn't realize that was a Genesis song. I thought it was Phil Collins solo. Phil was unavoidable in my youth. I know a few people who used Follow You Follow Me as a wedding song.

11. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I was going to reply with something pretty much exact to what you said. In my musical memory banks that I have this song originating from the mid-80s.

This reminds me of the biggest musical memory fart that I've recently had .... I swore that Golden Earring's 'Radar Love' was not only released in 81/82 but also achieved peak popularity then as well. If anyone living in the metropolitan NYC area in the early 80's there was a new radio station on the scene that was a rock station with a very popular promo for a particular summer....commercial-free radio, a novelty for that time. Hugely popular. Lake Success NY. Can't remember the station. It's all we listened to.

But, I remember listening to that station and 'Radar Love' was routinely played, almost to a point that it led you to believe it was a new song for Golden Earring!

Just last month I discovered that I was off by about ten years. LOL.

So, the above was a lengthy way of stating that I am not surprised that I was off with the Genesis tune.

(Edit: WAPP was the rock station and it was 1982 that they had the commercial-free summer)

12. MatsEriksson

It's hard to make a difference between Phil Collins solo songs and later Genesis songs. The only thing is that on his solo albums he changed out massive keyboard/synths with horns instead. Genesis used thick layers of synth pads. If you hear horns: solo Phil. lots of synth Keyboards: Genesis Phil.

BTW... I think Genesis just released 2 albums worth any **** when Phil was in it. The "in between" period. When Peter Gabriel left, and Steve Hacket left. When they were four. "Trick of The Tail" and "Wind and Wuthering". Before those, they always sounded trite, struggling, and contrived and hotch potch of musical parts laid end to end for no apparent reason. On those two albums, all songs started to have a more easy "flow" to them. All parts seemed fit. Then after that, they went for the charts, and imho, downhill. Selling Genesis by the pound.

13. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

[​IMG]
    Do you like Phil Collins?

14. MatsEriksson

Well, I have still to hear any cymbal in his first mega hit "In The Air Tonight". All toms and drums. And Gabriels 3rd album, not one cymbal hit anywhere. Phil plays all the way through on that album.

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

For some inexplicable reason, over the last several days, I've been watching a series of videos on the making of each and every Genesis album, and I'm not much of a Genesis fan at all. I like "Abacab" and a few things on made on either side of it. I don't listen to any of the Gabriel-era material. Yet, yet... I re-watched the one below today, by accident, after I watched the video about the making of their one post-Collins album, "Calling All Stations." Now, I'm watching the video about the making of "Invisible Touch," whose two big singles (the title track, "Land of Condusion") have always made me cringe.

StevesBoogie and MatsEriksson like this.
  16. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

Great drummer. Worst lyricist to ever make several bazillion dollars off said bad lyrics.

17. MatsEriksson

No, that guy liked both Phil, Mike and the Mechanics, he devoted at whole chapter in that book, to "stock-broker" rock. I don't think that Patrick Bateman would object that much ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Psycho

"Phil Collins, whose solo career is referenced in the book, recalled: "I didn't read it. At the time, I just thought, 'That's all we need: glorifying all this crap. I'm not interested.' Then the film came out and I thought it was very funny."

18. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

It's frivolous pop music, how can anyone hate that?

Maybe you're just hungry?

MatsEriksson likes this.
  19. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

MatsEriksson likes this.
  20. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

That's the wrong screenshot from the movie, but the dialogue in the Phil Collins part is a bit, umm...cheeky.

MatsEriksson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.