If Paul Kossoff were alive would he be able to hear anything?

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Yeah, that is insanely bad for one's hearing. Heck, I never gigged more than 50watts, and I have constant ringing in the ears. I don't know how all of the guys from that generation did it.
I'm sure it made them feel as "part of the circuit", and Kossoff is definitely feeling it, but it comes at a cost. I have a constant ringing in my ears also and like you have never gigged with >50W. And I absolutely didn't stick my head in front of it.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Saw Keith Scott doing much the same at a Bryan Adams concert. Where is he now? I don't hear much about him anymore.;)
He was great- ripped all night long. Certainly woke up the neighbours.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
That's some guitar-grimacing there.

When I was in my twenties the biggest rig the guitarists had was a 50w Marshall + 4 x 12" cab or a VOX AC30 or a Musicman combo. Once, a guy used a Master Volume Lead at a gig and it was so loud it hurt!

I can thank my old Trace Elliot stack for my left ear tinitus.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
One of my first big music experiences- 'chaperoning' my older sister, at the IoW.........:D We lost one another, on the first evening and didn't meet up again, for 48 hours.
I'm not sure there will ever be a lineup like it, again. All those young bands, at their creative peak.

High volume was normal- and PA development was in it's infancy. Kossoff had so much hair, he could have been wearing ear muffs and you would only have glimpsed them......
Died too soon: not a great technician, by modern standards but had wonderful feel.

I still play in venues, where the sound guy and regulars, insist on 'pant-flapping' volume. Ear plugs are cheap and available.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Yes - he’d be able to hear that sweet sweet vibrato ! Free was great except they needed better/hookier songs. Andy Fraser was a phenomenal bassist/musician as well.

Saw Keith Scott doing much the same at a Bryan Adams concert. Where is he now? I don't hear much about him anymore.;)
He was great- ripped all night long. Certainly woke up the neighbours.

Bryan Adams recently released re-recorded versions of his biggest tunes. Publishing reasons like Taylor Swift ? I don’t know why else…

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Looks like he was doing coke too.

Yes his hearing was probably already wounded by then.
He'd definitely have some jaw problems too, I hurt my Stylomandibular Ligament just watching him.
Rock Star secret tip: Do lots of coke and open your mouth really wide, your eardrums stretch too tight to be harmed by loud guitar.
Or dope and go slack jawed and they get too loose to be harmed.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
The ‘70s was the decade of excess. Sitting in the audience killed your hearing- the people on stage must have been deaf during every show.