1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If only I needed a new bass - SDOTD content

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

G&L Tribute JB bass in turquoise mist for $299.

jman72 and uriah1 like this.
  2. Stiv

Stiv TDPRI Member

Love my late 80’s L2000. I so nearly pulled the trigger on this one...

3. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

It's tempting for the price and finish but folks should be advised that there was a batch of these out there with improperly installed bridges or something that resulted in an as-installed scale length of 34.5 inches.

Quite a few reveiwers couldn't intonate them without the saddles nearly coming off the front of the bridge.

bsman likes this.
  4. Chud

Looking at recent reviews it appears that the production issue has been remedied. Good call out though.

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

Darn :oops:...now I have to go back and look at it again.

Edit: I count 21 frets on the photo...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  6. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Very possible, its not like G&L to have such an issue.

I notice this one doesn't have the block inlays or neck binding of the catalog model, must be a special run akin. MF has had some Tribues in the past selling for about &100 less than the regular models but a little stripped down cosmetically.

7. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I would be very surprised if G&L left those basses in the wilderness once the error was discovered. Furthermore if you did end up with one I imagine they would help you make it right. I'm sure someone on this forum has a G&L horror story, but they mostly seem like a good group that try to do right.

Blues Twanger likes this.
  8. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

It just means I would mangle the simple pentatonic at
    a much lower register :oops:

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, this manufacturing snafu reminds you that, if you bought a Fullerton bass, it would be just so, ready to gig. And the Indonesian ones could be all right or maybe not - they're getting mighty good at "shooting in the dark" but this is all it is - shooting in the dark. Same factory that made the problematic Squier 51. They're essentially a kit and it is your task to try to make it right. Which is IMO a fairly long shot, on full scale electric bass guitars.

I won't be needing one. My fingers are just not long enough, to play most complex bass parts. Would drive me nuts, having a full scale bass around.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The Squire 51 had quite a following. My buddy gave me one of those a black one, (gone now) I just don't much care for black guitars as I've stated before, even if it hadn't been black though, I don't think I would have kept it. They really don't seem to be fish nor foul, just something to ponder. One of the few guitars I can honestly say I never missed.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had 30 of them. Squier 51s. I liked the idea that they were neither fish nor fowl - it liberated you to be creative and make sounds that had not already been made 10,000 times with a Tele and 100,000 times with a Strat.

At $ 69, you could decorate 'em up and give them out as gifts. Or you could steal the best necks off them and make an average Telecaster better (big fat necks).

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Chud

I've bought a few of the G&L Tribute SDOTD's over the last few years. One I regret selling, the other was good in every way but just didn't make the cut after a few months. Very pretty guitars, fit and finish on both of mine were impeccable. The first was an ASAT Deluxe carved top that I sold to bring in a nicer acoustic when I was in one of my "one in, one out" phases. The other was one of the typical SDOTD ASAT Classics that seems to come up every few weeks/months. Nothing wrong with it, just got moved on after a short while.

13. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don’t even like Jazz Basses and I hadda talk myself down from that ledge.

14. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

15. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

It's been my understanding that the G&L Tributes that are frequently offered as a SDOTD (like the Bluesboy that shows up every 3 months or so), are cut-down versions of the standard production model, so you're not getting as great a deal as you might think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.