If not Taylor or Martin then Gibson?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Tomm Williams, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Afflicted

I’m looking for some variety in my acoustic tone beyond the three Taylor’s I own. I’ve had a couple of D28’s and just couldn’t bond with their sound. I’d like something with a bit more bottom than Taylor’s but I thought the Martins were too far in that direction.
    Of course trying out guitars is the ultimate answer but what would be some likely candidates? How about the Gibson HP series ?

And a cutaway is pretty much mandatory for how I play.

mr newhaven likes this.
  2. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Takamine has a hand made Japan Pro Line. Beautiful guitars with great tone and possibly the best on board electronics in the industry.

I have one of the lowest grade ones, it is wonderful.

B71DEF51-CE53-4DEC-8855-2E31CF167B9E.jpeg 3D28EB24-2CC8-42A6-A019-3A63083325E9.jpeg E8140838-5AB1-4142-B83D-BDF860F59817.jpeg C8828F3F-2FAD-4C55-97FD-FA5F8F1B5BD6.jpeg

if I had the $ this what I would be shopping for

3. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Larrivee makes nice guitars that tone wise, kinda-sorta, sit somewhere between a Taylor and a Martin.

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I love Gibsons, but there are lots of other choices - Takamine, Ovation, Alvarez are some brands I would check out if in the market.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    bcorig and mr newhaven like this.
  5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Budget?

If you're trying to mitigate the boomy bass try a mahogany D-18 style. I'm s big fan of Collings D1A but expensive new. A D1 that has Sitka instead of adirondack spruce can be had cheaper.

I think Martin made another quantum change to the D-18 but the ones from ~3 years ago were more traditional with scalloped braces back and maybe 1 3/4" necks.... THOSE were very cool and <$2000 as I recall...

Mahogany body guitars have the clarity I dig but can certainly have some powerful bass as well when called upon.

rand z and Greggorios like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say you got it right and that is a validation of your hearing. If Taylor or Martin do not float your boat, then Gibson is the answer. The three voicings of acoustics. Everything else are combinations that might be the inevitable answer, but that is for sometime down the road.

Vibrolux59 and Greggorios like this.
  7. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Collings, Larivee...

jman72, Dukex, dented and 1 other person like this.
  8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Try a Martin that is a different size, a 000 or OM, instead of a dread. Or their new GP size which is their version of Taylor's 14 size, which is in-between the OM/000 size and D size. And, since the restrictions on rosewood have been made less stringent for guitars, the new 16 series Martins are rosewood.

Greggorios and Vibrolux59 like this.
  9. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Breedlove is another name you should consider. Here is a pic of my Premier Rosewood Dread. Very balanced, but still a cannon.
    OI000326.JPG

chipwich, dented and Kelleycaster like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I LOVE my James Goodall RCJC!
    It’s beautiful, and is a joy to hear and play.
    199F6ABF-B249-4E92-8BE3-163E86BFF4CB.jpeg
    Here it is, on the left posing with it’s friend, my Yamaha NTX700.

11. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of Martin's including a 3 year old D-18. It is strong and single note's ring loud and clear.

Chord's have great note separation.

For lead work, a Mahogany body is where it's at, for me.

But, I also have a 12 year old Gibson J-45.

It has a richer, mellower sound than the D-18.

And, for strumming and fingerpicking, is better with vocal's, as it doesn't overpower one's voice.

The Martin and Gibson both have their place's, in my mind.

loco gringo and Vibrolux59 like this.
  12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Try a 000-18 Martin . If you find the bottom end a bit lacking , you may want to try Martin or that style Bluegrass strings . They have heavier lower strings and lighter upper strings . That mix tends to work very well with the Martin 000-18 .

Vibrolux59 likes this.
  13. Stefanovich

Stefanovich Tele-Holic

Every Goodall I have played has been SPECTACULAR. They are pricey though...

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Try a vintage '70's Guild D25 archback, boomy bass, it will hold it's own with a Bluegrass band and won't break the bank, you can find nice ones out there.

[​IMG]

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I currently have two Gibson acoustics; 2017 J-45 and a 1986 J-100E with sycamore back and sides.
    I really like them both but for different reasons.
    The J-45 has a pronounced tight bass that surprised me but is not overpowering. The guitar is very balanced tonally.
    I’ve tried so hard to find love for Martin guitars over the years, but couldn’t form a long term relationship with one.
    FWIW I sold a Larrivee D-60 custom to fund the J-45. It was a good guitar and very loud. Unfortunately, the profile on the back of the neck was flat and had hard corners. Felt like I was playing a grilled cheese sandwich. I pretty much sold it for that reason alone. I am a larrivee fan.

16. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I've only owned two acoustics in my life.....one of these was the first, and I wish I still had it.
    American made and I gave $200 in 1983 (used). Sold it to a bandmate and he used it to record
    several bluegrass albums. Really nice (not fancy) guitars.....

Gabrielle84 likes this.
  17. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Tomm, you know my answer. Get out and play everything. There are so many incredible guitar out there today that something will call out. My problem is that too many are calling to me.

younkint likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Find a broken down fixer upper at a local pawn shop and get it playing again.
    Doesn't need a fancy label nor a fancy brand on the headstock -- challenge yourself.
    Fret levels do wonders on even $50 beater guitars.

If you do this, then be sure to post where you start and the journey... with pictures ;)

19. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

I recently bought a Taylor 815ce (2010) that seems to fit what you’re describing. Way more low end than a typical Taylor grand auditorium, but still more shimmery high end than a D-28. Unfortunately, Taylor no longer makes jumbos but mine is really a cannon. I’m sure there are countless other guitars that have that “middle ground” voice, but definitely try one of these out if you can find a used one. 7B6517AE-97BC-445A-8EEA-CAE3FD51AA86.jpeg 492BEB6C-F70F-4723-A8C3-EF60DD69CB5E.jpeg

JL_LI and jamesepowell like this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The latest offerings from Taylor include new bracing that is supposed to add more bass response. You already like Taylor, so that is likely the best option for you.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.