1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If my pickups sound out of phase, should I...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by mooncaine, Nov 24, 2017.

1. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

... swap the wires on one of the pickups?

Here's what I think I did: I replaced my Affinity Tele's bridge pickup with a Don Mare pickup -- I learned about his work from you folks here -- and now the middle switch position sounds real thin, nasal and a lot quieter than it should. I am guessing that I just need to swap a wire.

But which one? Each pickup has a black wire. I assume those are ground (earth) wires. I soldered them all to the back of the pot.

The neck has a white wire. The bridge has a yellow wire. I believed each were "hot" wires and soldered each to.the 3-way switch. The white one is on the farthest tab, on one side of the switch. The yellow is on the farthest tab on the opposite side of the switch. I bridged the middle switch tabs with their immediate neighbors, as shown in many wiring diagrams for modern Television wiring.

Should I just swap the black and white wires, connecting white to the pot and black to the switch?

2. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Yes, switch the wires on one of the pickups. Shouldn't matter which pickup you swap the wires on.

3. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Theoretically it shouldn't matter which pickup, but I ran into this issue last week. I tried switching the bridge wires first, but it then caused other issues (middle and bridge position not working), so I switched the neck wires, and it worked perfectly.

4. mooncaine

mooncaine TDPRI Member

Well, dang it, I'll have some time to learn about it, because I just screwed up the switch, while trying to unsolder those wires, and I'll have to wait for another one to be delivered. I bent one of the metal bits that's supposed to always brush against the moving part. Now it never brushes against it no matter how I try to bend it.

5. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Bummer, that's a tough way to learn but I bet it wouldn't happen again. :(

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You usually can NOT just swap Tele pup leads, unless it is a three wire pickup.

Being the bridge is new, I would definitely not mess with it.

To make your neck three wire (dedicated cover ground wire) do this:

ADD A DEDICATED COVER (shield) GROUND WIRE

http://www.guitar-mod.com/rg_4wayinfo.html
    ^^^
    Bottom of the page, snip the bare jumper off as close to the "A" solder glob (eyelet) as you can, then solder a wire to that stub of wire (or to the solder blob at "C"... that's the cover tab) and run it to the back of a pot, GROUND. You end up with a THREE wire pickup, good for 4 way switch and/or phase reversal.

Attached Files:

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

take a compass and check to see if the magnets' polarity is the same .. it's entirely possible one is North up and the other is south.

rk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.