if joker wins best picture...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Jan 13, 2020.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Ricky Gervais gets it right. Actors directors et al set paid a fortune to have fun. The they want awards.

I agree with technical awards. Not with acro movie director. You did a great job with special edextS? You were probably underpaid.

You caught acroritis and ACTED? Cool. Bank your cheque and so another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm gonna break this code if it's the last thing I do...

3. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Man, I thought both Joker and Ford vs Ferrari were great films. The latter especially impressed me as I saw it with two non car people and they absolutely loved. Good films can carry weight well beyond their subject matter.

I haven’t seen the other nominees but get around to seeing all of them eventually. My wife watched part of the “Once Upon a Time...” flick tonight but on an airplane. She did like it a bit but thought the music was awful? Makes me curious enough to see it!

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Yes Alberta. I watch Youtube on all things guitar, musical as TV is so poor.

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yup.

I will freely say that I enjoyed it. But was it actually a good movie? Nope; not even close. I can enjoy things as cheap entertainment, while realizing that they aren't actually good, and are, often, actually pretty offensive and bad.

This was actually a very good year for movies, so I am saddened by how much praise Joker got from the Academy. But these awards things are all nonsense anyhow, and hopefully we all know that by now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Joker was a GREAT film so I won't be surprised if it wins.
    If Joaquin Phoenix does NOT win the Oscar for best actor it will be a HUGE scandal.
    If there was an Oscar for best actor EVER he is the one who should get it.

I also don't get all this hypocricy about how "violent" & "disturbing" the film was?

Especially in a country where even 10 year olds carry guns that they can freely buy from the supermaket ....:D and out they come when a tornado or forest fire hits... :lol: & Kim Kardasian is the teen role model :eek: (talk about "disturbing").

In my experience it was more "violent" in NY (during the 80s when I lived there) than in any scene of the movie :)

Stubee, Jerry_Mountains and Georox like this.
  7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I liked Marriage story, with Parasite is one of the best movie that i've seen this year, i like them both more than Irishman, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood and Joker...

8. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I saw once Upon a Time, The Irishman and Marriage Story. Liked Once Upon a Time a lot, The Irsihman is just another mob movie that went too long. Marriage Story was gray and depressing. Nothing interesting about divorce to me.

Deathray likes this.
  9. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Torren61 likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've not seen The Joker, but I want to, My sons both loved it

Deathray likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

We never go out to the.movies, but I really wanna see Joker, 1917, Ford vs. Ferrari
    We did just see Dolomite is My Name ( on Netlix) and Eddie Murphy and Co. were great.
    It was funny, well acted, kind of ' inside the biz' - sort of like Boogie Nights, which I loved.

12. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Joker was ok, great performance by Phoenix but mediocre movie. Honestly, I don't get either the high praise or strong criticism of the movie.

I never really care who wins the Oscar, and I haven't seen enough movies to have a super strong opinion about what was best. I will be surprised if I like any movies more than Parasite and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Biffasmum and EsquireOK like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Never mind, it is what it is.

14. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Joker seems to be a polarizing movie, on here. I guess I will go on record as really liking it. The imagery was very effective at painting a dark picture. Joaquin Phoenix’s performance gave me the creeps. After watching that movie, I felt like I do after having a bad nightmare. It sort of leaves you uneasy. It made me think about the fact that there are a lot of very messed up people walking around, and you never now how messed up.

15. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I won't deny that Joker was a dramatic film, and that Joaquin Phoenix's performance was remarkable. I still didn't like it. I thought it dragged on waaaaay too much in the beginning, like a long, slow train wreck. I'd have preferred that they get to the point, and have more hijinx. Oh well.

thunderbyrd and Deathray like this.
  16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I loved Joker.

Deathray likes this.
  17. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I enjoyed Joker a lot, I thought it was impressive. I couldn't care less what it does or doesn't win.

Deathray likes this.
  18. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I agree. The last quarter of the movie seemed forced. Phoenix was amazing though.

Torren61 likes this.
  19. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Your post was quite a conversation starter.

I loved Joaquin's performance in Joker. Which movie are you pulling for? Apparently I need to see Jo Jo Rabbit

20. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I saw four(!) of the films nominated for best picture this year, very unusual for me: 1917, The Irishman, Marriage Story and Joker. Interestingly, 1917 was the only one I saw in a theater. I think Marriage Story was the best movie.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.