If it's too loud, you're too ol... eh, actually sometimes it's just too loud (Primus/Mastodon)

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by buster poser, May 21, 2018.

1. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Was in Atlanta for biz last week, and caught Mastodon/Primus. Hadn't seen Primus since '93, and have never seen Mastodon, one of my favorite bands. Opportunity to see them in their hometown was too much to pass up, but I didn't have my earplugs and...

Wasn't great if I'm honest. As is usually the case with metal, just way too shrill in the mix, and far, far too loud for the size of the venue.

Had to punch after five songs from Mastodon and not being able to make out any of Kelliher's amazing guitar work. Ditto Primus, where a Telecaster was just lost in a cacophony of treble and slapped bass notes. I stuck around for "Harold of the Rocks" (still my fave song by them) and bounced.

What do you guys do when a show is too loud? Stay and look "cool," or preserve your hearing for another day? I took the latter route.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah the Mastadon guy is a bud of mine.
    I can't beleive he is considered a guitar lord thou.

3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw bon jovi and later guns and roses in about 1987 (when I was but 19) and they were too loud. You couldn’t hear them. Little snippets came through to suggest that here was some excellent musicianship. But not enough.

4. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

I take a pair of NRR 33 earplugs to anything I'm attending where sound will be made. If it's too loud, in go the plugs. If it's still too loud or if the show's that bad, I leave.

--Mark

5. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I find it interesting that any workplace these days would be fined to extinction for subjecting employees to the same level of noise that loud groups generate, but work place health and safety regulations don't seem to apply to music venues.

6. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i always keep earplugs with me. for some kinds of music i'd way rather it be something i can feel with my whole body with the earplugs in instead of being something anemic that i don't need the plugs for.

the louder a band gets, the better quality PA and sound person you need to keep it together. i saw an outdoors mission of burma show once where i was standing in front and i couldn't tell who was playing what even though i could see almost everyone's fingers.

7. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

It's dumb to make people choose between ear plugs or hearing damage. I don't know why metal bands still do it. I've been to metal shows that were at a decent volume, but not with any 90s bands. Maybe those guys just can't change.
    If it's too loud, the band might be too old.

8. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

There's no shame in bringing earplugs to a concert IMO.

The loudest show I remember was at a small/medium size cafe (50 person capacity I'd estimate). The first two acts were trios, mostly acoustic, with a PA. Then the "headliner" who was friends with the show organizer/sound person brought on his band and plugged into a Fender Twin... I was about 15 feet away and started getting dizzy halfway through their set. They were phenomenal though, so I didn't leave, even though I probably should have at least gone to the back of the room. I remember genuinely worrying about permanent hearing damage, but it was a short set, and I enjoyed it, but what is that confounded whistling? Anyone else hear that?

RiverDog and 6l6-57 like this.
  9. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

24 hours a day.

10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I’ve seen the Melvins a number of times and they are always very loud. However, it was always mixed well and never too loud or painful. I want to hear and feel the music at live shows but if it hurts someone is doing something wrong.

cyclopean likes this.
  11. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I always bring earplugs. And I've walked out on numerous concerts that were just loud piercing rumbling CRAP. Often LOUD isn't the problem - it's a bad mix of frequencies.

I've often heard people blame the venue... but when you see 10 shows in the same place (and 5 sounded GREAT!) then that's obviously not the problem.

If you go to a concert: and everyone is wearing earplugs???? Shouldn't that say something about the state of insanity we tolerate for music?

cyclopean likes this.
  12. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I went to see Eric Church (country rock guy) in concert. It was like being at Metallica. Just painful and obnoxious. For the half-time break the soundman played some canned "really loud" metal crap. My ears never got a break. WE left soon afterwards. Never to see him again.

13. cyclopean

loud mud is way worse than just loud. both neurosis and swans were at thunderous volumes various times i've seen them, but they were still crisp.

i wear ear plugs pretty much any time i see punk, noise, metal, indie, or garage rock. they're part of my every day carry.

GoldieLocks and bender66 like this.
  14. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Kingdome, sometime in the early/mid '90s, Motorhead, Metallica, Guns & Roses, in that order. The kingdome never won any awards for being a decent sound venue (in fact it was downright crap), but I gotta say Motorhead and Metallica sounded like smooth jazz compared to G&R. That was the first time I ever plugged my ears at a show. Just gawd-awful, and I wasn't even there for Axl & friends. I've managed to see Newsboys 4 times now, and they were the absolute loudest shows I have ever attended, but somehow manage to sound as clear as if they were in my living room. *Shrugs*

GoldieLocks likes this.
  15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's well documented Hinds is practically deaf.

Earplugs everywhere all day. You never know when you need them. I absolutely love sleeping with them too once I got used to them.

A show that stood out from the 90's was Curve at Slim's in SF. Loud as hell but clear. My friend showed me the db reading. Being the sound guy (not working that night) even he was amazed.

16. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

All the shows I go to are loud, the bigger problem is mix and ear splitting frequencies for me. I bring ear plugs these days

17. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

These days I always have a fist full of those little foam earplugs in my jeans pocket when I go to a big show for exactly this reason. Served me well when I had to take the kiddos to Taylor Swift, and often use them to "roll off the highs" at some of the concerts for acts I actually like. :)

18. kidmeatball

kidmeatball Tele-Meister

I saw Mastodon on the Crack the Skye tour at the venerable Commodore Ballroom a number of years ago. Too loud but still an awesome show.

On the topic of earplugs: I was inadequately prepared for AC/DC at BC Place. My earplugs kept falling out. It wasn't too bad. We managed to get up to the front row after a few songs. When it came time for those ridiculous cannons at the end of the show I was ready to just cover my ears. I miscounted though, and took the last one unprotected. My ears were ringing for days.

19. cyclopean

they're a great example of loud and crisp.

20. cyclopean

also those aluminum guitars sound awesome.

buster poser and Ex-riverman like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.