1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If it were possible to liquify pure hate....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 4pickupguy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I agree. If you get a jalapeno that's not hot, that taste takes over everything.

I want to try and grow some serranos this year in my garden, and see how they come out. I'm already sure I'm going to grow some green chili- my wife makes killer rellenos.

2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I just thought how cruel it would be to wipe some of this on the outside door handle of a mens room...... (>_<).... Pure evil.

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Um... you're talking about the hot sauce, and not what it caused, right?:D

4. 4pickupguy

One would be mean... the other pure evil.... Get some of this habanero oil on your hand aaannnnddd .....well don't rub your eyes and for gods sake don't go pee!!!

5. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I was writing my PhD thesis on mathematical group theory and music, on non-teaching days, I would do research in the library until 5:00. Then walk home and make some stir fry with experimental pepper combinations, which I would eat with a big glass of icewater. My pores from the neck on up seemed to dilate and sweat would practically gush out. Then, strong coffee and more ice water. An hour after beginning the whole process, I would head back to the library, with a very nice buzz.

A couple of years later, I was at a lunch meeting at a Thai place in Denton, Texas. Taking orders from each of us, the waiter would ask how hot we would like it. Like the dimwit out-of-towner that I was, when asked how hot I wanted, I said something stupid like, "go all the way" or something. The waiter said, we like to mess with people like you." Whoa. Life lesson learned. I would take a bite, and begin to hiccup instantly. With the aid of 4-5 glasses of water, I finally made it.

6. 4pickupguy

I can handle hot things as long as they taste good. By the way, this stuff taste great, it just too friggin hot!!! I'm not one of those guys that will suffer to try to impress anyone but I always thought I could handle really hot food. I'm from Texas where every breakfast has Jalapeños in it even if its PopTarts. I spent a year in Thailand where there are some of the hottest dishes any where. But this stuff... probably developed at Area 51 as part of a "Tactical Garnish" program. By far the hottest thing I have ever encountered...

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I like a bit of heat from my food, but if I wanted to completely overwhelm my tastebuds/pain receptors, I'd just huff pepper spray. :D

8. Chancerubbage

Chancerubbage Tele-Meister

My excuse for a love of spicy food that I tell to the tender palates of the world is 'I've got a big nose and constantly stuffy sinuses, and anything that can help clear that stuff out becomes a habit for me'

There is a recent article on the web saying people who like spicy food must be masochists, because: science. Well not being able to breathe through ones nose, mouth breathing, seeking out the mild and unexciting is its own kind of punishment, I say.

I can enjoy the subtler tastes in life too. And as far as the sinus opening aspects, I sometimes have to reset the stimulant, say from peppers to garlic, as my system gets too used to one.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apparently, Dave's Total Insanity is not nearly the hottest product they sell, with a Scoville rating of only up to 250,000 units.

Dave's Private Reserve comes in at about 750,000 Scoville units.
    [​IMG]

The warning on the bottle is rather important.

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I like a little heat on stuff (tabasco, petes, cholula) and I cook with jalapenos often... I order camarones a la diablo typically and some stuff I eat makes me sweat.. for me, it tastes good and I think the pepper releases an endorphin or something that makes me feel good...

I've not had any negative 'post' experiences from hot food. I don't think I've ever had heartburn (don't really know what it is) and anything else.. nope.. no after effects.

I bought a Dave's Insanity sampler a few years ago and it was okay, a couple of the bottles were 'heat for heat's sake' so, I did not rebuy.

We are all pretty similar but we all get used to differences... heat seems to be one of them.

11. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't tried that one. Have tried the plain old Insanity Sauce and it's plenty hot. Good stuff, though!

12. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

The scientific research I've seen (yes, people actually study this stuff!) says that hot foods produce an endorphin rush. It's analogous to the "Runner's High" that athletes experience. It's almost like taking a drug and can be addictive for many people. As long as you're a healthy adult, it's pretty harmless (well, not including the incoming and outgoing pain :lol:.)

I'm the same way: I like spicy food, but as I get older my tolerance has gone down and my stomach just doesn't agree with the super hot stuff anymore. Serranos are about the upper level of my comfort limit, maybe the very occasional habanero if the dish tastes really good.

That's not even close to the hottest stuff anymore. There are a lot of sauces that reach a few million Scoville units! They don't usually sell them in grocery stores and they're primarily meant for real "chile heads". I would imagine there's a health liability issue involved, which is why most grocery stores probably won't touch them. When you get into stuff that spicy, you can have some serious negative health consequences for people with heart problems, ulcers, etc. Some of the pepper extracts can actually cause chemical burns!

While you couldn't pay me enough to eat them myself, I get a kick out of watching people eat record-breaking peppers. Search Youtube for videos of people eating Ghost Pepper (Bhut Jolokia), Butch T Scorpion, Chocolate Bhutlah and Carolina Reaper chiles. Those things make habaneros look like candy!

13. jkrischan

jkrischan Tele-Afflicted

I like hot when it adds flavor. Not when it is meant to torture. As far as pure hate In a bottle. Whiskey comes to mind, ymmv

14. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I like my heat naturally. I don't like to add heat for heats sake. My home made pico de gallo will get 1-3 cerranno peppers according to my taste. I love QC. Jalapeño peppers have a dirty taste I don't care for. And any thing hotter for heats sake I don't care for the taste. I like Asian seasonings .
    True story. We were in Sac. Calif, training, when my associats went to eat. Both had a few drinks in them. We found a sechzwan (sp?) joint that served hot lobster, shrimp, tuna mahi mahi. I saw that they served it with the peppers in the sauce and there were little red fleck of the peppers in the sauce. Both of these clowns were drunk, I warned them these were only to add season NOT eaten. They look at me and dig in calling me sissy and I've eaten the hottest peppers you've never had. One of thier wives were Mexican I'd had some of her wonderful cooking. Well both were reaching for a 3 rd or so pepper when they started reaching for the water to put out the fire. Mean while or waiter comes up, he's an Asian with a legit bad accent. "Don't eat red peppah , only fo decoration." I'm just starting to laugh my a$$ of at these clowns trying to put out this magnesium fire they've started. Then the waiter adds insult to injury. " You eat red pepper? You gonna die" I'm choking and crying from laughing at these fools who are now sober and in pain. Our waiter is laughing. I got stuck with the tab.
    I laughed my self silly the next day when about 10 am the next day when thier peppers bit em again. I still trease 'em with Let's do Sechzwan.

15. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I too fall into the category of finding the Dave's stuff just hot for the sake of being hot. I enjoy the spiciest of foods, and really like the burn and flavor when harmoniously balanced, but heat for heat's sake is just kind of boring, and tastes like "burnt" sauce. Not a huge fan.

Now, unlike Bent, and his ability to process the spicy without a morning callback, I can safely say that I am jealous of that, as I suffer twice through the hottest of foods, and the second dose of suffering from the Southern Exit Ramp is often waaaaay more painful than the loading dock at the North End.

I recently started making my own hot sauces by rolling down to the public market and gathering up the home-grown hot varietals, and fermenting them on the counter, adding the vinegar and sugar, and letting nature have its way with the peppers. The color of the sauce is magical, and you can really get some great flavor and depth based on the time you allow the peppers to sit, and how fine you process them.

You'll begin to learn the styles you like, and waiting for the sauce to be ready is half the fun. With no preservatives, you need to use it up faster than the bottled stuff from the store, but once you start putting it on everything, it does not hang around too long.

There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in the Scoville scale. Up to a certain point, flavor and heat play together nicely, and the result is a super spicy pepper sauce that beats you up, but makes you beg for more.

Once that threshold is crossed, it is simply a matter of self-hate and torture, and where that point actually occurs is different for everyone.

Hot sauces are like girlfriends. The hottest ones are fun to chase, but always cause you the most anguish.

~syf

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

that.... is an awesome post.

17. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a big fan of hot pepper, a day without something spicy is a day lost, IMHO. I started on jalapenos, the gateway pepper. I thought I was hot stuff, no pun intended.

One day at the factory, I saw that my vietnamese co-worker Saran was eating these tiny skinny green peppers with his lunch.

"Oh, what are those? Are they any good?"

"These are thai pepper."

"Can I try one?"

"Oh, no, Dan. These are hot."

"Please? I like hot stuff. I eat hot peppers all the time."

"Dan, these are VERY hot." (*hmm, in hindsight, I probably should have listened to him.*)

"Aw, come on, Saran. Now I really want to try one."

Looking more than a little uncertain, he relented and said "You make sure you tell everyone I no trick you, ok?"

"? huh? Sure, no problem."

I bit half the pepper and started chewing it. Didn't seem that bad. I put the rest in my mouth, and chewed a little more. Then it hit me. It was like when you go over the top of a roller coaster, you're in for it now, there was no going back. My vision went blurry, then white. The tidal wave of heat hit me, and just kept getting hotter and hotter. I think I might have tried to say something. No sound escaped my throat.

I was told a red line went from the collar of my shirt to my hair line, just like in the cartoons. Tears streaming from my eyes, I eventually managed to make a croaking sound. Just then, the unofficial den mother of our manufacturing group came into the cafeteria, took one look at me and turned on Saran. "How DARE you trick Danny into eating one of those peppers?"

He practically wailed "No. No. He asked me, he begged me. I told him it was too hot but he wanted to try it anyway."

By then I found my voice. "Estelle, he's telling the truth. I wanted to try one. He didn't trick me."

The backstory was that an unpopular co-worker got pranked into eating one of those peppers and tried to call an ambulance. The guy was about as smart as he was popular. Later, when he heard that I had eaten one of those peppers, he goes "Oh, so Saran tricked you into eating one of those too, huh?" :lol:

I incidentally do not suffer adverse after effects from consuming hot foods, neither heart burn or the ring of fire. But a man has got to know his limitations.

18. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I'm not trying to be a douche nozzle here, but I do not understand people who enjoy foods that hurt, either on the way in or the way out or both . It just doesn't make sense to me.

Everybody tastes and processes differently. I love spicy food and don't have issues with the 'going out' part of it. Fortunately spicy food doesn't affect me that way.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I guess you can't say you weren't warned if they even name the pepper Ring Of Fire.

20. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

HAHAHA!!! This is by far the funniest thing I've read all week! :lol::lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.