If I'm ever seen with a 'reliced' guitar people will know it's fake because I suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Apr 17, 2019.

1. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

I spot dudes on big bikes like this a lot on rides. They have their new chaps and skulls on everything. They are usually not the dudes I roll with. I like to scrape boards; not lug a bike through hairpins in 4th gear until it stalls.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  2. DaveTone

DaveTone Tele-Meister

I am trailing your camp from across the river. A little fire all to my sucky self.

unixfish likes this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My only sort of relic is a partscaster Esquire. The guy who painted it didn't put a clear coat on it so slowly the paint is chipping and coming off. But it is honest ware, so I'll live with it or get it refinished at some point.

Skamania likes this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm G chord man. We could get together and play a song.

5. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

When I got my first electric guitar in 1995 or so, I knew nothing about the types of finish (poly vs. nitro), much less about how either would wear, and certainly not about relics (if that was even a thing then). Here I am, nearly 25 years later, with that poly-finished guitar that got me through 3 gigging bands in high school, 1 in college, still playing it nearly every day now, and it’s still in great shape. I think if I had bought a thin-skin nitro guitar back then, it still wouldn’t look half as beat up as most of the relics produced today!

But...I did just order a light relic Nash. There is something to be said about playing a guitar that feels broken in like an old pair of jeans. I don’t mind the look but it’s more about the feel. When I order new guitars (without being relic’d), I always order satin finish on the back of the neck. I just like how it feels. The Nash neck, in my opinion, is just the satin finish taken to the nth degree.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. Ahryn

Ahryn TDPRI Member

Relic guitars are like preworn jeans. they are pretty comfy actually.

hemingway likes this.
  7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I'm always amazed at people like that, especially with acoustic guitars. Quite the opposite of myself. It took me from 1983 to today to get my Guild properly reliced.

Guild.jpg

boris bubbanov and Blazer like this.
  8. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

To the OP:

1. Stop caring about what others think about your playing. It doesn't affect you in any way.
    1. Stop denigrating yourself. You're a lot better guitar player than you think you are.

9. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i like to recall an event from my past where a pub that my crowd used to drink in got refurbished with new carpets. the owner, who was a tetchy type was becoming increasingly agitated as folks were spilling beer and dropping cigarette ash on his new carpet. it got to a point to that he stopped serving, brought out two pints of guinness and a couple of ashtrays and threw them into the carpet. i'm not suggesting anyone gets a new guitar and deliberately knocks it off the wall or anything, but there is a certain relief felt after a guitar gets its first noticeable ding. after that, who cares?

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Oh my God NO! Look at the state that thing is in!"
    - Peter Green when presented with the opportunity to buy his old Gibson Les Paul back after Gary Moore passed away.

[​IMG]
    That Gary Moore played the guitar a LOT was very evident by all the wear and tear, there was no doubt that this guitar was somebody's work horse for many years.

Blue Bill likes this.
  12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's also those players who simply take action when their main squeeze gets road wear.
    [​IMG]
    Queen bassist John Deacon used a seventies CBS-era Sunburst Fender P-bass on the Band's earliest output.

[​IMG]
    Before changing to a Natural colored example around the mid seventies.

And settling on a black on black example with gold hardware for Queen's final live shows.
    [​IMG]

When actually, it was the very same bass all along, when the Sunburst finish started to flake, he had the bass stripped and refinished natural and after it got worn, he had it refinished black.

That particular Fender P-Bass had that secret "something" that we all look for in instruments. John Deacon has owned and used many other basses (Such as a Music man Stingray, used very effectively on "Another one bites the dust.") but all those legendary Queen recordings and ditto live performances, was all this one Fender P-Bass, which when it got road wear would just be completely made over so it would look like new.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

Since I started playing guitar in the late 1960s, I’ve always tried to get the best quality and condition guitar I could, so I’d always be playing up to its potential. And I always wiped it down after playing, or at least when I changed the strings. I did pick up some dings along the way, most honestly we’re alcohol-related situations, or tight band gig situations, or both. But I always tried to take care of my stuff best I could. Matter of pride. Whenever I bought used instruments, amps etc., condition was always a big thing with me. So buying something intentionally aged, beat up, whatever, just seemed like trying to pretend something happened that didn’t. Other folks here have used the term “honest ware,” I think that says it all. I felt and feel the same way about Levi jeans. Still do. Who’s in that big a hurry to have someone else wear your jeans in for you? Way I see it, life in general will help you “relic” everything you own, including you.

14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I like the G myself. I noodled an open pattern out the other day, didn't think about what it was rooted in, just noodled it out, and then thought "it's sounding better and better". And then it started to sound like blackbird. and I loafed into an open chord...

...rooted in G, ends with a 7th. Not blackbird, but I think I could get a copyright strike with it.

And confirmation that I really have no creativity - everything comes back to D, G or a minor. If I wasn't getting more adventurous, I could really wear out the first five frets on a guitar, especially the high strings. Like tracks in the snow that don't go far from the front door, evidence that I need to branch out further.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

You could be a guy with a ton of money who buys old guitars and doesn't play much.

You could be a dentist!

I kid. I'm only kidding.

I have a HWY-1 Blond Tele from 2006 and my forearm has rubbing away the finish where my forearm lays. I'm proud of that. That's love and commitment.

16. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

G chord and a capo, the sky's the limit . . .

Kid Telecaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.