If I'm ever seen with a 'reliced' guitar people will know it's fake because I suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Apr 17, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I don't play my Telecaster eight hours a day, or sleep with it like Jimi did, but I DO play it several hours per day, and have since I got it nearly twenty years ago. Don't know if it's HOW I play, or a lack of corrosive things in my skin, but my guitars just don't show "wear" like a "relic-ed" one does. I've always wanted natural-looking wear.....like on the fretboard or body....but it just doesn't happen. My Tele has a stripped and Tung-Oiled body, my PRS SE One looks like it's brand new, my 1983 MIJ Strat (which used to get a LOT of use) is the proverbial "Closet Queen", and even my 1960 Les Paul Jr, which I got in 1969 looks almost pristine. Some of us just aren't meant to naturally "relic" our guitars.....;)

Skamania likes this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

How many own a relic guitar (natural or un-natural)? Most complaints I see are from those who never had one. I used to dislike relic guitars, until I got a beat up beast as a throw-in on another guitar trade. It was a bad player, but I fixed it up, now it plays great and it feels like a comfortable old pair of jeans that I'm not worried about getting a scratch, or such jeans worn while working on the car you don't worry about a little grease and oil or lawn cutting stains. A workhorse guitar. That's when I understood what it was to have a relic guitar.

Now it's difficult to buy shiny new guitars. I worry too much about them.

nojazzhere and Festus_Hagen like this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

My electric guitars (2 ;)) are really worn. 21 years with me, rehearsals, gigs, parties, rock'n'roll all over the place.

Having a worn guitar doesn't mean you are a good player... it only means you play the hell out of it or somebody did before you

My main music is punk-rock Dr Feelgood or Ramones style, not much soloing or shreding, but lots of strumming, hard strumming. There it is!

They are not reliced guitars, are MY guitars

Skamania and PeterUK like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember a fellow when I was young, and he was so diligent. Just practicing all the time and he basically wore one guitar out entirely and was on his way through a second.

But he was nowhere near as talented as your friend. He was just so determined and so lacking in ability.

+

And I'm thinking of an older lady I know, who plays beautifully. And practices often, she says, and her guitars just don't get beat up. She's just real gentle, the way she plays.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  5. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I've seen videos with Clapton and a lot of different electric guitars versus someone like Neil Young who I see with the black or the gold Les Paul.

So, if Clapton bought a guitar 5 years ago it's not likely that he'd wear it in (out?) that much in a short period.

There's a cool video of folks playing the theme from the Good the Bad and the Ugly floating around on Facebook. The guitar part is covered by a "road worn" Strat. You can tell because is has that odd wear they all do where some of the frets around the 12th are skipped.

I have seen a local guy play on a 1973 Telecaster. It's beat up and the neck is almost black. He's as old as the guitar and a good player. I like to joke that he's almost worn it out, time for a new one. Nobody ever laughs at that joke.

6. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

As most guitars are covered in 3 feet of bomb-proof poly it's not really an issue these days.

I don't care for the reliced look - but a worn-in neck feels great.

So I would happily play a reliced guitar - neck would feel great and I wouldn't have to worry about dings

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Would you feel guilty owning/playing an actual vintage guitar? If not I don't see why you should be bothered by owning/playing a reliced guitar.

I don't really want a reliced guitar but if I was looking for a guitar and a reliced one was the one that felt/sounded right I would get it and ignore the looks.

8. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

I'm anti relic but would also take in a good player if the price was the same or better.

I discovered something dumb this year - chalk paint is not durable. It's apparently made for...not me. My wife wanted a desk done in chalk paint, so I did a desk in chalk paint...

...and then sprayed it with four heavy coats of crosslinked lacquer. That'll prevent the distressed look. I told her that it "wouldn't hold up" (she has a bugaboo about things getting ruined or not staying nice) without explaining what that meant, and informed her that the suggested wax that was to be used in combination is "for people like your friends who can't spray".

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Bought a guitar once from D chord man. I don't know who d chord man was, because he was japanese, but he had pretty much worn the frets into *deep* v notches for the d chord and only moderate wear anywhere else. The newest guitar I've seen with any significant fretwear in the 2018/19 binge has been a 2005 les paul that a guy owned. He had two guitars.

when I guy tells you he's had a guitar for 15 years and he's replacing it because "he got another guitar, and his old one has to go", it's probably going to have some fretwear.

The most surprising so far was a collings CL deluxe - 12 years old, beautifully straight and really nice to play. No fret wear at all. Guy who sold it was the original purchaser. No clue what he was thinking. I also sold it, but out of sucky player's guilt. That guilt you get when you're practicing something you've been practicing for 3 weeks and you're not quite hitting it and realize "I shouldn't be playing a guitar like this. Someone good should".

hemingway and boris bubbanov like this.
  10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

all my relic'ing comes from my carelessness and incompetence, so I have that going for me

Skamania, chulaivet1966 and TeleBrew like this.
  11. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I’m getting my latest body finished in nitro. If I said the word, I know the guy would rough it up for me for an extra few quid... just so it knows better than to snitch :D

12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have more than twenty guitars , and not much time to use them.....I have had some of them for more than twenty years , but they will never be reliced
    Sure , they get dings , marks and so , but they will never get the worn out look,ever
    I don't understand reliced guitars , or why people like them , or prefer them
    Would I own or play one ? Sure , if I like it
    Pay more for it ? Are you kidding ?

Old duck likes this.
  13. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I used to hate the idea of reliced guitars, and the over the top relics make me laugh. But I do love guitars with honest wear and I recently bought a 1980 Gibson Firebrand Les Paul with great honest wear. I love how it looks. The problem with today's plastic coated guitars is that they do not wear well. Instead of paint flaking off in patches, you get ugly chips where the plastic coating shattered.

I like the Friedman guitars
    [​IMG]

And this one posted het at TDPRI looks so cool to me too. I wish I know how to get this effect.
    [​IMG]

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

When someone plays I don't equate the level of their playing ability with the look or condition of their guitar. I listen with my ears not my eyes. When it comes to music I also don't judge them by what they wear, how fit they are or what car they drive etc.

If some are threatened by guys with reliced guitars or worried they might loose some street cred or shine for having played for countless decades to a guy with a relic maybe they should concentrate on improving their playing so the look of the instrument doesn't make any difference and relics are no longer considered a threat.

It's very liberating to play a reliced guitar and not have to worry about babying it or have your day ruined by a scratch, chip etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  15. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

And a poke????? What is this, lonesome Dove!!!!! Lololol

Fiesta Red, Toto'sDad and aerhed like this.
  16. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I never considered a relic till a friend at my local shop asked me to try a K-Line the was lightly aged. It's been my main player since I picked it up that day because it plays and sounds amazing. The aging just makes me worry less when my 4 year old wants to strum it ;)

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

On a side note, I have a telecaster that is truly beat-up. Not "worn", but was apparently used to smash things. It has chips all over the body and there are large finish cracks all over it. The bridge pickup polepieces are rusted.... I think the previous owner buried it in the ground.

Anyway, this does not simulate normal wear from playing, but flat-out abuse. I dig the guitar though, sounds great, plays great.

18. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I own a few fake Rolex watches but I don't wear them because who's going to believe that a guy driving an 06 pickup truck owns a Rolex. That's kind of the way I feel about relics that are posing as $30,000 Teles.

19. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

meh.

I see both sides.

watching the factory videos of $2000 dollar bolt on guitars meticulously built, refined, finished, set up, and then... go to the guy that dings it up with nail pullers and chain link.. well.... it seems totally lame. I don't know why, it comes off silly in my opinion. (friedman video for example)

but the notion that a guitar with a little wear/small ding(s)/some light checking frees one of anxiety and apprehension and allows you to really USE a tool...
    well that's a really good point and it resonates with me.

I personally don't like the vast majority of intentional "relic" jobs. They scream "trying too hard"

However do love guitars with a few miles and some wear.

In my opinion, I'd rather see a companies "relic" job be a slight dulling of the finish (armrest and high traffic areas of the neck) and maybe some light checking.

meh.

etype likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It was an honest offer. ;)

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.