If I'm ever seen with a 'reliced' guitar people will know it's fake because I suck.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Apr 17, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The truly beat-up guitars are owned by people who play them so much that they naturally wear them down (Clapton, Malmsteen, EVH, etc.) and you can tell by their musicianship that they play a lot. If someone were to see me with a worn-down guitar, and heard how I play, there would be no question that it's fake.

If there were one actual flaw with the whole fake 'relic' thing, that would be it.

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

How would we know you didn't buy it from someone who played the bejesus out of it, then sold it to you? Huh? Huh? Huh? :lol:

For what it's worth, I am in this same camp.

kelnet, Crashbelt, Piggy Stu and 4 others like this.
  3. unixfish

In this same camp? In the same camp? Where are the grammar police when you need them?

RetroTeleRod and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I keep my guitars in pristine condition because when they see how poorly I play, I can always say, hey I just got the guitar and am just starting out. I just don't mention that it was fifty five years ago, when I started out.

5. 3-Chord-Genius

Because I would not be able to afford it!! Yo' Eric, how much for ol' Blackie over there?

Seasicksailor likes this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Any dings in my guitars were put there by me accidentally. I can't see the point of paying someone to make my guitar look like I beat the crap out of it. And as for street cred, I'm too old to care about it.

7. unixfish

But Joe Bob down the street played 4 hours a day, and the guitar never left his house. He's had that Tele since 1986. After Joe Bob died, his wife sold it for $400 since it was beaten to heck.

Not arguing, just giving that one in a million perspective we will never see.

8. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I have an old friend, known him since the 70's, that has a 67 Telecaster that his parents bought for him, brand new, in 1967. It's worn, very worn. The neck is missing much of the gloss finish, because it's been played, a lot. Looks a lot like Vince Gills Tele.
    But he's not that good a player! He's ok, can hold his own, sings real good, but he's just ok.
    I've been in numerous bands with him, and he's a very good friend, but he's just a ok player.

9. Toto'sDad

Dang gum her, I offered 300 bucks and a poke.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Just say, "I inherited from my grandpa. He's really the one raised me... He was a touring musician back in the day. Brilliant guitarist. He was attacked by wild dogs. All that was left was the guitar. It survived, but got the scratches and dents you see now. Weeks later, his family went through his things, and found a note.... *get choked up here* It said... if I'm ever killed by wild dogs, please give my guitar to 3-Chord Genius. Tell him to play it for 'ol grandpa. Go out and play! Make the world a happy place with his playing on my guitar, that I literally starved myself for 3 mos to save enough box tops to buy. Even if he's not very good, it doesn't matter. He should never stop playing. Or the dogs will win!"

Generally works for me.

MrGibbly, Shuster, tonyj and 5 others like this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Hell, that's my Super Power, I can make even the finest instruments, sound like they were purchased from Costco:)

12. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I've never understood the 'relic-ing' thing but I got a good chuckle on your post. :)

That's all I have....carry on.

thegeezer and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

For that heart warming story all I can say is:

[​IMG]

14. 3-Chord-Genius

Haha... I started in 1986 and it sounds like I started in 2016. I really only got really into it when Appetite for Destruction came out and I tried to copy those solos. Other than that, I'm more of a gear junkie, not really a player.

15. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

It could also mean that you are somewhat clumsy and prone to run into and brush against
    abrasive surfaces when you're playing.
    I think it's similar to the way that some guys can put on an expensive suit and look like a complete mess a few short minutes later-- coffee and ketchup stains. cigarette burns, etc.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  16. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I started this whole process back in 1968, and I do have a couple of guitars that are pretty well used but I really thought I would have learned a lot more by now! I mean, people tell me I play well, but I have certainly not soared to the heights I intended to. Oh well, it's been a good ride.

17. unixfish

She told me she was suspicious of your "poke". Can't say I blame her.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Kinda my story, too. But I don't have tons of gear. I'm still in recovery. I'm not joking.

19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I got a Danocaster this year. A friend in LA has been raving about them, and I tried one when I went to visit him.

The relicing looks pretty cool. But even if it didn't have a chip on it, the way it plays was the deciding factor for me.

Also, since it's already pretty beat up, I don't have to baby it. :)

- D

20. JackL

JackL Tele-Meister

I remember reading about Clapton, he would look for the well worn guitars because he knew that whoever played it really cared for it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.