1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If I would have known... Grammar rant

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AJBaker, Jan 13, 2021.

1. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

If only there had been some situation in which he may have known such things...

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

If I wood have, I guitar make.

RobRiggs, richiek65 and gregulator450 like this.
  3. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Actually...its "What I would HAVE said...", but who rally cares?

When it comes down to it, effective communication is getting the information across. If someone says 'Who" when "Whom" is actually correct, whom am I to correct them?

I'm all for correct grammar, etc., but English can be a difficult language to use completely correctly, because for every rule, there are exceptions.

Unless you want to carry around and refer to a copy of Elements of Style, then its not anything to sweat over.
    The Internet and texting have modified accepted usage and phraseology...things change. We no longer use Thee and Thou in everyday language, but we have survived.

4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I know that, that's why that part was in italics, well done, you missed the point of my post completely. And I care, I'm English and we do still use thee and thou here in Yorkshire.

5. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to have disturbed your English sensibilities...consider me chastised.
    Thee can now continue on to your tea and crumpets, having set straight those ill mannered revolutionaries from across the pond.

6. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Like I said up there ^ I'm used to it. :lol:

Rufus likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Whenever a person speaks, there is the subject information and then there is side-band information about the speaker, like their class and education.

JL_LI and bsman like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

THIS

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...and that's a fine approach, to be sure. But do you still use "whither"? Asking for a friend...;)

getbent likes this.
  10. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I dunno. I remember before the scourge of instant worldwide communications. The only advantage was there was less to read, but most of it was full of errors... there are no good old days except what we manifest from our dreams and fantasies.

985plowboy likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

if one were to partake of whithers, they would receive a Bill.

gregulator450 and teletimetx like this.
  12. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Verily, should such occasion arise. :twisted:

teletimetx likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I side with those who do not see 'if I would have known' as wrong. It's not the most economical use of words, and it may sound jarring to some, but it's not wrong. I was trained to write for scholarly publication where an emphasis is placed on economy of verbiage because of the cost of publication. There are no such constraints here.

Some people write like they speak. Spoken language is not subject to editing. Written language is, but unless you have a language obsession, there is no reason to carefully edit a post here.

We also have people here from many English speaking countries and from many different regions within those countries. Read carefully and you'll notice their many regional dialects. I enjoy the variety. At times I write posts in informal, conversational language. It can be a way of saying, "I'm one of the guys, not one of the snobs".

I also enjoy posts from members for whom English is not their native language. I can't speak Spanish but I can read it. The language makes little sense translated word for word. Idioms are missed and sentence structure is very different. Ideas seem convoluted when they're not. When I try to write Spanish, even with the aid of a dictionary, it never sounds right when I translate my thoughts word for word. I applaud the non English speakers who make the effort here.

Back in the day I was working with a Canadian colleague at a summer course at the University of British Columbia. I spent two weeks trying to pass as Canadian. It was impossible. I was able to use Canadian pronunciations of words like process and schedule. I had trouble with when to end a sentence with an "eh" and when not to. There are enough regional differences in accent to pick a few differences and use them. Scientific discourse was identical except for pronunciation. In the residence hall, locals always knew. They knew in shops and restaurants. None of it was as simple as substituting "had" for "would have".

Let's celebrate our diversity here and not sweat the small stuff.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's what she said!

Wait, did that work? :lol::lol::lol:

beagle likes this.
  15. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

16. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Now the norm is "where are you AT?" I hear that a lot!
    and the use of then/than is out of whack.

For proper English, I would love to get this shirt!
    fornicate-thyself-and-the-steed-upon-which-thou-didst-arrive-vintage-shirt-shirt.jpg

JL_LI likes this.
  17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I suppose I’m a disappointment to my professional educator parents... but I don’t see the point in worrying about conversational grammar.

People often think out loud or write on the fly, and miss proper usage trying to get their thoughts out. Others may not have had the same educational opportunities (or paid enough attention). Some may be thinking in another language and translating.

In any case, I try to evaluate the content even if I notice grammar and usage errors privately.

Edgar Allan Presley and JL_LI like this.
  18. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I don't think it's "wrong", but it is wordy. However, I could hear myself using that construction to emphasize something important I should have understood. When I draw a phrase out, sometimes I'm trying to give it a little more importance.

If I knew she was texting her boyfriend . . .

If I would have known she was actually texting her boyfriend . . . (sounds more reflective-- subjunctivy--about what happened, to my ears at least)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    JL_LI likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

This is just a wild guess on my part, but it would seem to me that you never spent a whole lot of time in Arkansas.

Steerforth and P Thought like this.
  20. tattypicker

tattypicker TDPRI Member

I could care less...;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.