1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If I wanted to add a Tone Control to a 5F1 Champ...

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by James Knox, Feb 7, 2021.

1. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

Harward 6G10 is 60s circuit and perhaps more advanced than Tweed but there are many 50s Princeton circuits which have tone knob

2. itsGiusto

itsGiusto Tele-Holic

I used this one:
    [​IMG]

But there are a few variations on a tweed princeton's tone control that you can find by searching around. The circuit evolved a bunch.

pfarrell likes this.
  3. cottontails1959

cottontails1959 Tele-Meister

@pfarrell

Here are examples of single knob tone controls. Simple treble cut; Princeton 6G2; and a couple from Merlin Blencowe / Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    pfarrell and screefer like this.
  4. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Good stuff - thank you for posting those!

5. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Super cool.

If I put a tone control in the space of input 2 on a Champ—any downsides to deleting input 2? Seems like I can just disconnect it....Post #5 confused me a bit by mentioning a grid resistor change (to input 1?) if adding a tone control (changing the 68K on input 1 to something about half—couldn't I just jumper the now deleted input grid resistor on input 2 to input 1 for ~33K R?). Also making sure input 1 is grounded to preamp ground. No idea of course any of the audio effects of any of this. This question clear? Guess I should just experiment. This Champ sounds respectably different than the 5E3, wouldn't want to mess too much with it's raw character as i happened to build it. 12" speaker and larger OT etc.

Interestingly—my guitar teacher has asked to borrow it for a recording of some song because he can't get the "breakup" he wants from his OG Vibrolux or his Deluxe blackface, but heard it when he tested my Champ! Haha. Pretty cool.

James Knox and 2L man like this.
  6. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

upload_2021-2-11_13-43-36.png

Jazzerstang, James Knox and pfarrell like this.
  7. cottontails1959

cottontails1959 Tele-Meister

Here are layouts (as D'tar has shown) to go along with my schematics. I can read schematics okay, but sometimes have difficulty reconciling how they work into the layout inside a chassis. The 6G2 is posted twice, with different geometry. Grok the 250K volume pot is a combo volume/switch pot, so take into account the extra wires when working through the layout.

layout single pot simple treble cut.png layout single pot Princeton 6G2 treble cut a.png layout single pot Princeton 6G2 treble cut.png layout single pot Blencowe treble.png layout single pot Blencowe tilt.png

screefer, pfarrell and James Knox like this.
  8. pfarrell

pfarrell TDPRI Member

Question for you guys with more circuit knowledge than me... (this is in the context of now having another amp—5E3–to compare to Champ)

Would adding a tone control to the circuit, via deleting input 2 method, change the base characteristics of the amps “nature/sound” if the tone control was dialed to 0?

9. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Lots of inspiration here; have long wondered what my Princeton non-reverb would sound like with a 6g2 tone stack and either a raw control or variable nfb in place of treble and tone. That
    What a hot rod! Lots of inspiration here; have long wondered what my Princeton non-reverb would sound like with a 6g2 tone stack and either a raw control or variable nfb in place of treble and bass.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  10. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Should you decide to start using a dual pot, you may have difficulty in finding the right dual pot with also a snap on/off switch.

This may sound a bit silly but you can even put a switch in the power cord in order to free the hole.

This would work with the schematic posted by itsGiusto:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=224252276876

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  11. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

I was just wondering about this! Thank you. I currently have 200uf ceramic cap on the volume pot. It works well, but this is a cool option too. 552D9015-2256-4E8E-B37C-774671ED6D3A.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.