If I want a guitar to weigh X, then find a body that weight Y

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Stiles, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister

My forever favorite Tele (a ‘63 CS) weights in at 7.2lbs. If I wanted to build a back-up, what weight body should I look for?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'd shoot for a 4 lb body.

Stiles likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Maximum. It also depends on what hardware you get. Metal knobs and thick steel parts all add to the weight... Tuners even. It’s easy to add a few ounces.

Shave weight off everywhere. Play with .008s :p

McGlamRock and Stiles like this.
  4. Rayner

Rayner Tele-Meister

Average 3lbs for neck & hardware is what I've been reading... not that I know personally but that seems to be the general consensus for X+Y=Z

Stiles likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And if you're scratch building the body, that 4 lb body will likely be a 9 lb blank, jointed, planed to 1.75" and ready to cut.

Scary, hefting a 9 lb blank, knowing you want a light guitar out of it.

Stiles likes this.
  6. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

I weighed my last parts caster and the body was 3lb15oz and the final build with locking tuners on a maple neck was 6lb15oz, so exactly 3lb for the neck + hardware.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

One of you Teleologist needs to sit down and make a parts and weight chart.

Stiles and hellopike like this.
  8. Muinarc

Muinarc Tele-Meister

Stiles likes this.
  9. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

10. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I think the 3 lb rule is a good one for a standard Tele. Slap on a wide chunky neck and a couple of wide-range humbuckers and you might add up to 8 oz.

Stiles likes this.
  11. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

It works about the same for Strats too. My 2 and a half pound paulownia body ended up at 5 and a half pounds when neck and hardware were added.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. moosie

Hmm, not in my experience it doesn't. Strat weights will skew heavy on the hardware due to the block (and the better the block, usually the heavier), and light on the wood because of all the routing, for said block and springs.

I built a 7.4 lb Strat from a 3.5 lb body.

Also, realize that a fairly light Tele - be it CS, MIA, partscaster, etc - weighs 7.2 lbs more or less. A similarly 'fairly light' Strat will come in nearly 1/2 lb heavier.

13. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I don't normally weight my guitars, have no scales at the house. I will if I have one at a shop get the tech to do it out of curiosity. My heaviest strat is 7 and a half pounds. There are two others that are something like a pound lighter than that. The paulownia one I know is 5 and a half pounds because it's super lightness caused me to find myself in a situation where we just had to know what it weighed.

Wood types ?

5.56 pounds (weighed) - paulownia, one piece maple neck and fretboard, swimming pool rout
    6.5 pounds (approx.) - basswood (thin Squier Bullet body) rosewood fretboard, H-S-H rout
    6.75 pounds (approx.) - roasted alder (full size USA spec body) rosewood fretboard (this one a few ounces heavier than the one above) swimming pool rout
    7.54 pounds (weighed) - swamp ash (full size Squier body) one piece maple neck and fretboard, S-S-H rout

The two middleweights you could add another .25 pounds if you like, it wouldn't be beyond reason if one touched 7 pounds and the other a few ounces under, I haven't precisely confirmed their weight. With the exception of the 7.5 pounder everyone that grabs one of mine (everyone being players with a lot of strat time) remarks on their lightweight. With the paulownia one, if it's their first time, they almost lift it over their heads when they pick it up. Surrpri-eyes. o_O

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  14. moosie

There are exceptions that will change the basic relationship of hardware vs wood weight in Strats and Teles. Pawlonia is super light, of course. Solid rosewood neck, add 1/4 lb to that end of the equation. I have a swamp body blank that was graded 'ultralight'. The jointed billet weighs 7.8 lbs, vs the typical 9 I mentioned earlier. I haven't built that one yet, but I figure it'll shave 1/2 lb off whichever guitar I decide to build.

But if you just have an alder body off eBay, or a generic swamp ash blank from StewMac, you can estimate total weight (or fix a total weight, and know what wood weights to consider). The 9 lb blank will generate (roughly) the 4.5 lb Tele body, and the 4 lb Strat body. The resulting Tele will weigh (roughly) 7.5 lbs, and the Strat closer to 8 lbs.

If you built a lightweight 7.2 lb Strat with a 3.5 lb body (I did), and then you want to do the same with a Tele... you'll have the devil of a time finding that 3.5 lb Tele body, and if you do, the guitar will be 1/2 lb lighter than you had planned.

15. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I concur with add 3lbs to body weight.

My recent tele build body was 4lbs 7oz and finished weight is 7lbs 7oz.

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yup. The +3 lb. guideline is a fair general assumption with typical Tele hardware. It won't be right on all the time, but it will get you in the ballpark.

nojazzhere and Stiles like this.
  17. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

So ... and I'm not arguing the point with someone that has put grey matter time into this that I clearly have not (yet, there's still time LOL) ... does this mean those weights I listed are:

Do a minus 3.5 pounds to get the the body weight ? Wow, that paulownia body must have weighed like mere ounces over 2 pounds. No wonder players ask me if it's made from balsa wood. Additionally, with the exception of the swamp ash guitar (last one listed and still not THAT heavy) I really lucked out with all the bodies I purchased. I say that because a lightweight guitar is always what I prefer. As light as I can get them if nothing else is in the criteria shuffle. The alder and basswood ones would qualify from what I see people saying, as pretty damn light it seems. The paulownia one is just ridiculous light. The swamp ash one is just "regular" light.

18. moosie

Pawlonia is extremely light. As I and others have been saying, add approx 3 lbs to the body for neck and hardware. For Teles.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

yeah but I'm interested in estimating strats, so 3.5 pounds you say ?

paulownia is stupid, insanely light. I love it

20. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

see this thread...
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/strat-build-s-3-and-4.920997/
    both guitars came in around 6.75 lbs. The body after being semi hollow routed and prior to having a top put on weighted just under 3lbs... (there are pics of it on the scale) so the top probably brought it up to 3.4lbs. (this is without hardware) The thing you really want to consider is the hardware. can make quite a dif in weight.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.