If I Stop Posting, It's Because I was Eaten

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
We took this pic a couple of years back about two miles from our house. We saw a big boy (400+ pounds easily) on someone's carport and then about 100 yards down the road saw this mom and three cubs. Lots of bears in Florida.

View attachment 1034534

Bear population in FL has increased from 300 to 4000 adults.

"Today, there are more Florida black bears present than in the last 100 years".

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
As expected, an ignorant "Karen" blames me for taking the bear's home.

1664465350105.png

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow! I knew there were bears down there but I didn't think they got that big! That's amazing man!

Short on cash

Tele-Meister
I have been in Florida for over 40 years.
I live on the east coast and have never see one in this area.
But I do remember years ago driving to Orlando and seeing
a mother and 2 cubs playing in the swamp on the drive over.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I lived in Montana a while back. Black bears are considered a benign nuisance there - but brown ones (grizzlies) will eat you. One of my buddies had been a guide up at Bristol Bay Alaska, and he said they all carried short-barreled 12-gage pumps with rifled slugs. Handguns apparently just piss the Kodiaks off.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I lived in Montana a while back. Black bears are considered a benign nuisance there - but brown ones (grizzlies) will eat you. One of my buddies had been a guide up at Bristol Bay Alaska, and he said they all carried short-barreled 12-gage pumps with rifled slugs. Handguns apparently just piss the Kodiaks off.
My wife took the Bullpup out of the safe. Who would have thought we needed home defense against a bear?

KSG Bullpup.JPG

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Mine is an ancient Mossberg Turkey Special (24" barrel, rattle can camo).
Make sure you load up with rifled slugs. Otherwise you'll just PO Mr. Bear.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Mine is an ancient Mossberg Turkey Special (24" barrel, rattle can camo).
Make sure you load up with rifled slugs. Otherwise you'll just PO Mr. Bear.

The Kel Tec KSG can hold 15 mini-shells. Two 7-round tubes (magazines) and one chambered. The tubes are selectable, so buck and slug is one option. <Edit> 12g

Last edited:

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
In our area, elk are a constant presence, and one should avoid annoying them. What concerns me, though, is the growing mountain lion population across the county and the proximity to the woods adjacent to my son's house. We don't let the young ones play alone outside.

HaWE

Tele-Holic
Great pictures and infos :) - we do not have any bears around here, so no fear to be eaten :) .
Some years ago there was a free bear in Bavaria.I think he caused some trouble down there.
So the local authorities decided to shoot him.
Since some years we have a lot of wolves and their population is increasing, but until now I have not seen one in nature.

bigbean

Tele-Afflicted
Dunno... Maybe a rifle that flings PB&J samwitches about 40 yards away? MMmm Maybe a bacon flinger?

Just spitballing here....How do you tell that guy "The neighbors taste better than I do and they are slower."

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Driving to work in deepest SE Texas several years ago, I spotted a large, broad hair- covered butt ambling down the side of the road. I thought it was just my mother-in-law, out for her morning constitutional, but on further reflection, it might have been a bear!
I live in the piney woods close to the Louisiana border. They’re still around over here, just not seen very often. Just across the river, a former landlord said his son was scouting on public land, getting ready for deer season, and ran across a pretty good sized black bear. He said they stared at each other for a few minutes and then the bear went back to what he was doing and wandered into the brush.