If I Stop Posting, It's Because I was Eaten

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Bear Pic.jpg

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A mother and her large cub showed up about 2 years ago. I think this guy is the "cub" at 3 or 4 years old. I estimate "mom" at about 250 lbs, and "son" at +400 lbs. There is a dirt road on my property that the neighborhood uses as a walking path. I got a little nervous watching families with small children walking through the woods, so I put up a "Bear" sign. There is also a middle school with ball fields that are adjacent to the woods. It may be time to ask the wildlife guys to relocate the bears.

<Edit> And Candy is getting tired of washing bear snot off the windows.

Last edited:

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
@StoneH I think he knows the hurricane is coming and just wants to spend the night inside!!

Wow, that is a large bear!

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
We've had a significant increase in bear sightings in this neck of the woods over the past year or so. They're seen daily in yards, porches, back decks, etc. during the day. There are many photos and videos posted everyday by people. These are black bears and are only looking to raid bird feeders, grills and garbage cans. It is extremely rare that they bother or have any interest in humans or domestic animals. I had one walk right across our front yard not more than 20 ft from where I type this post at 10:30am about 3 weeks ago. The latest wandering beast is a moose; really, a full blown bullwinkle, wandering around the area. This photo was taken at the AMC Movie Theatre parking lot in Danbury, CT., he's a long way from Maine and New Hampshire.

1664460081150.png

Last edited:

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
A mother and her large cub showed up about 2 years ago. I think this guy is the "cub" at 3 or 4 years old. I estimate "mom" at about 250 lbs, and "son" at +400 lbs. There is a dirt road on my property that the neighborhood uses as a walking path. I got a little nervous watching families with small children walking through the woods, so I put up a "Bear" sign. There is also a middle school with ball fields that are adjacent to the woods. It may be time to ask the wildlife guys to relocate the bears.

<Edit> And Candy is getting tired of washing bear snot off the windows.
I agree with relocation. Even if there is no bear/human injuries I can't imagine the clean up that you would have to do if he gets inside and starts exploring.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
Wow. That is so freakin' cool! It takes me back like 44 years to when my wife and I lived in Ashville, Maine while I was stationed at N.S.G.A. Winter Harbor. We lived in a small trailer on a wooded hill overlooking the Bay of Maine with 17 miles of deep forest directly behind us. During our first Winter we learned that storing our trash behind our trailer rather than making timely trips to the dump resulted in the attraction of woodland creatures. A momma black bear and her three cubs chose us as their local fast food joint. It made for some wonderful views from our rear windows as well as some interesting interactions when I was the duty Corpsman and had to head to the base during their chosen feeding times.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That’s crazy!
You are in Florida???
Roughly where?
I lived in Tallahassee and Jacksonville for a few years.
Did a lot of mountain biking at all the nearby state parks. I saw hogs, deer, etc…but never thought about bears.
I live next to Eglin AFB. This is not the usual case of shrinking habitat forcing bears into neighborhoods. Eglin reservation is about 250,000 acres of woodlands that hasn't been (can't be) developed. There are "islands" of woods that the bears wander into until they end up in a neighborhood.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Holic
I think he's trying to get your Netflix password. You should print the new EULA for him so he understands that there are penalties for sharing accounts. Damn bears are always on a hustle.

• Love
Reactions: BB