If I said “we only have Hogan’s Heroes snow here”…

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I have real problems with Hogan’s Heroes. The Germans were not stupid and there’s nothing funny about a POW camp.

My dad was in WWII - he thought the show was okay - I thought is was good when I was young - but when I got older it kind of wore on me.
I think you have to frame it in the scenario it was - meant to make fun of the Germans because they were so horrible - and leave a little lightness of being within it. One thing though - I think Bob Crane is still creepy.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
But, really - weren’t they ? Following, blindly and adoringly, a pathetic, narcissistic “strong” man (🤔) en masse is not evidence of at the very least, temporary stupidity ?

Huzzah sir !

We lucked out !

Humor is as subjective as music.

At least. I find Mel Brooks and almost everything he’s involved in uproariously funny.

He also laughed hard when Martin Short as Jiminy Glick asked him “so what’s your problem with the Knotsi’s ?

Mel. Is. Nutz!!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Watched the show as a youngster. Most of what I got from it was that American ingenuity was more powerful than all the might of the Third Reich. I also was a fan of M*A*S*H, another show that focused on the humanity rather than the tragedy of war for the most part (and also lasted longer than the Korean war).

You couldn't make either of those shows today. Too much baggage. And the shows we get today @ war and warriors focus more on the violence and personal trauma fallout from combat. Maybe it's more realistic, but it's also somewhat frightening and depressing. I can't see any kind of loopy sitcom coming out of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and that's good and bad at the same time.