If I just want a decent strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluego1, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks like it was 2018 when they switched to calling them “Player”. I remembered it as a bit earlier. The ceramic pups aren’t that bad though.

2. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I agree 100% with trying to find a use Fender Strat Plus.

I've got 3 of them, and they're amazing guitars.

I found this '90 Fender Strat Plus in a pawnshop for $325 out the door.

[​IMG]

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was an absolute steal right there...well done.

awasson and Texsunburst59 like this.
  4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind that not all "used" guitars are actually "used" I have had 2-3 "used" guitars including a American Standard Strat, that still had the stickers, hang tags etc. on board. These are often avaliable described as "Open Box", "NOS" or simply "Used" from online retailers or large local shops that sell alot of Fender product, often at a substantial discount. They are show/salesmen samples, unsold returns from small/closed shops or simply things that get pushed to the back of the warehouse. My current Tele ( American Pro) was as new w/ all the case candy, etc. It shipped in a non Fender box (W/OHSC) for several hundred less than street, and was still eligible for the sellers 24 payment -no interest promotion. Made it very affordable, rather than buy 3or4 2/300 guitars, looking for what you want, it may make more sense to pay $50 a month for a bit and get it to begin with.

Telebeestar and Telekarster like this.
  5. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

I guess it all goes back to what tone you're searching for. I have a MIJ E-Series from the mid-80s. The conventional wisdom is that the neck and craftsmanship on those models are good but the pickups are subpar. But I actually love the sound of the pickups--particularly 2 & 4 positions. Very quacky--hence very stratty--to my ears. I suspect that you could buy a $200 Affintiy and--if it doesn't sound stratty enough for you--install your preferred pickups (hopefully used of Reverb or Ebay) and you're good to go. But what do I know.

tamer_of_banthas and Bluego1 like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Yes, indeed, there are many good instruments out there these days due to modern mfg processes and CNC etc. However, one must also consider the monetary situation as well... in terms of resale e.g. "Investment". Example - I remember a time when you could buy a 1980 USA made Fender Strat or Gibson Les Paul Standard for 350 out the door brand new, and what is called "vintage" today was "used gear" back then. Oh how I wish I could've bought every single pre-cbs Strat for 200 bucks! Today those same guitars are worth thousands regardless of condition. The non-USA made guitars of that time have never held their value (or indeed increased in value) like the USA ones have in comparison, that's for sure. I doubt any non-USA made guitar today will ever give such ROI, even though they may be great instruments all-in-all. I could be wrong of course but one thing is for sure is that USA made always has higher resale value than most other non-USA made, as historical data suggests. Just something one should consider... not to mention also supporting USA companies, which I personally like to do ;) If one cannot afford a brand new USA made guitar, used USA made gear is always an option as well, and if one looks hard enough, one can find exceptional deals for maybe only a fraction more than a non-USA made, and that would always be a better option IMO. Example 2 - A buddy of mine just landed a circa 94 USA made Strat in near mint condition with hard case for 650 bucks! Compare with a new 500 MIM Strat... just sayin'.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  7. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Is buying a Fender guitar Made In Mexico or Made in Indonesia supporting a USA company?

Is shopping at Walmart supporting a USA company?

I think the answer is yes. Just sayin’

8. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

More like - supporting the executives profit margins of said companies with cheap labor? Yes. ;) Anyway, this is a debate of another kind and off scope of the OP's original question. Just trying to point out that USA made gear is always the better investment, even if buying used...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Telebeestar likes this.
  9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Don't agree at all. The definition of an investment is something you intend to on. Make money"None" is the best choice from an investment $ perspective.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oops. Train post. Forgive plz

11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Of course, but it should be a factor to consider when buying an instrument whether you ever plan to sell it or not. I mean, there's a reason why people collect things and play the stock market etc. Part of it is "investment" of course. Guitars are no different. In fact, no collectable is any different than playing the market. And just like any market, they go up and down yearly but it's the "long haul" that's the most important. Vintage American made guitars prove this. Therefore, it is always wise to put your money into something that is more likely to increase in value over time i.e. less risk, because you never know when you might "need" to sell. And, just as in the stock market, you have to know the imperical/historical data to support your "investment". Again, American made guitars prove this. Anyway, we can agree to disagree. I can tell you one thing for certain, however, there's plenty of guitars I've sold over the last 20-30 years for 100-300 bucks that I sure wish I had today..., and there's plenty more I sure wish I had bought! Like the mint 1955 Strat in case for 500 bucks, in 1991... ;) Cheers!

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

yes, but a mint 1955 strat is fundamentally different than a random 80s strat. It's not the MIA aspect it's the age and rarity. An 80s MIJ Fender is just as collectible as an 80s MIA strat, all else equal. People are now starting to ask hundreds of dollars (over a grand, actually, I just looked!) for the early Squiers which have never been anything other than "cheap imports".

awasson likes this.
  13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’m not sure I follow or maybe things are different in your market but my recollection of the late 70’s and early 80’s when you could buy a 1980 USA made Fender Strat or Gibson Les Paul Standard for $350 out the door brand new, nobody wanted them. As a matter of fact, I was cautioned against buying Fender and Gibson guitars in the late 70’s by my guitar teacher, a successful local studio musician. He said they were being outclassed by some of the Japanese competitors (Aria, Ibanez, Yamaha, Takamine to name a few).

This was the period when Fender and Gibson tried to tighten their belts to compete with the Japanese guitars and the quality dropped out of the bottom.

That particular period of time is quite near and dear to me because it wasn’t then that I bought my first real guitar. The choice was been a Gibson SG or a semi-hollow body Ibanez Artist. The cost was the same on both at the time and I agonized over the decision. The Ibanez won out. It cost (out the door) about $800 Canadian Dollars in 1981 and I’d be lucky to find another for less than $2,000 in my market. They never come up and if they do, they are costly. They’re great guitars but it’s not just the quality and playability. They’re just like Pre-CBS Fender’s they have a high perceived value because of their historical significance as well as their playing quality.

14. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Threads taken a wrong turn somewhere...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Finally made the decision. 60’s Classic Vibe in Lake Placid Blue. On the truck for delivery today. Fingers crossed for a good one.

16. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, A used Classic Player (50s or 60s) is what I'd keep an eye out for. They are NICE!

awasson likes this.
  17. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

There's nothing wrong with the Affinity, sound-wise.
    So I think whenever I watch Brice playing Donald Fagen's New Frontier on it, by himself....

Bluego1 likes this.
  18. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I concur. I have a 2007 Squier Bullet hardtail Strat and the workmanship, playability, and sound are superb. Paid $70 new and it feels like and sounds extremely close to my original ‘63.

But you have to try them out yourself. A few months after I bought mine I played some tremolo equipped ones that felt cheap and had sharp fret ends. And since you want a new Strat, I have no idea if they are better or worse these days.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I got the CV 60s Lake Placid Blue. Was tempted by those new little hardtail bullets, but man, I made a good decision anyway. This thing is sweet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Looks really nice. I like the tint they used on the headstock. It looks classy.

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.