If I just want a decent strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluego1, Sep 3, 2019.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It seems like no matter what guitar he's playing, Rob can't stay on the neck pickup for more than a few seconds before he's compelled to switch back to the bridge pickup. I, for one, am just the opposite, especially on a Strat. I'm on the neck pickup probably 90% of the time, and very rarely use the bridge pickup by itself.

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The Standard series was replaced by the superior Player series well over a year ago.

NewKid, awasson and Bluego1 like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

There are two answers to this question, and they've been answered on every previous page by multiple people. Either get a used MIM Standard or a new or used Classic Vibe. If you buy anything less you'd better be good at working on guitars to get it into giggable shape.

4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I’ve pretty much decided on the new MII CV. If the house sells in the next month (it’s been listed for a couple months already), I’ll spend up for the Fender Player.

Dismalhead, NewKid, awasson and 3 others like this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This^. I recommend stretching financially (or waiting) to get the one you really want, and then cross it off your GAS list forever. If you get the compromise, it's just a matter of time before you need to get the one you really wanted all along.

I understand the appeal of buying new, but over time I trained myself to buy used, so that I could stretch a bit further. I'd much, much rather have a lightly played Gibson 335, than the nicest new Epi, for instance. That said, I'm choosy. No Craigslist. No eBay. Just Reverb, or direct from retailers where there's some unusually deep discount available.

6. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I'd get a Squier Standard "Crafted in Indonesia"...why the need to modify - these are players right from the start. The only thing I do is put on a set of Power Slinkys and I'm done.

Matthias, dreamingtele and Bluego1 like this.
  7. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

If it doesn't have to be a Fender, you can get yourself into an awfully decent G&L Legacy Tribute for $400-550 US brand new.

Flakey, Matthias and Bluego1 like this.
  8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i have the same, mostly neckpup.
    but what i did was the 5 way switch change the positions.(with Bill and becky lawrence humbuckers old L90 bridge, old l220 mid, old L500 Neck)
    B>B+N>N>N+M>M
    and somehow i use the different positions more now :rolleyes:

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

My Performer Strat (my avatar) has a pull pot on the second tone control, and adds the neck pickup when the 5 way is on the bridge or bridge and middle, but I still use just the neck by itself most of the time. That's just the sound I hear in my head when I think of a Strat. I sometimes use the 2 and 4 positions, but rarely use the middle or bridge by themselves, or the neck and bridge together, or all 3 together. I'd use the neck and bridge together if it sounded more like the middle position on a Tele, but it doesn't sound like that really.

10. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Used anerican standards can be had for 650.00 in nice shape. No upgrades will be needed. Lots of choices out there. Post 2008 models are really nice but a bit more. I see the nineties MIA versions for 6 to 7 hundred all the time. Cry once and be done. I just took this 2008 in a trade and its Dynamite in fit and finish. Sounds killer.

Attached Files:

Telekarster and Matthias like this.
  11. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The players are really nice. I’m really impressed by the entire Player Series. Either that or the CV is the way to got (new) if you want to keep it stock and just buy and play!

NewKid likes this.
  12. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I would suggest the Bullet Strat. They are a remarkable value for the money and can always be easily upgraded with new electronics/ pickups down the road if desired. Right out of the box they will sound pretty darn good. I have some high end guitars and still love the low end Bullets. I would recommend them over an Affinity due to the non-standard sized parts on the Affinity. It is a bit hard to find aftermarket replacements for the Affinity line.

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I believe the reference was to the Squier Standard not the MIM Standard.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I think the MIMs are still the better used deal, even with the pre-alnico pickups [which I like a lot]. That goes for the teles too. I've noticed they've increased in value in the last 5 years, another good reason to try them out.

15. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think you can end up with a decent strat at about any price point. Just play some and trust your hands and your ears.

mkdaws32, gkterry and Bluego1 like this.
  16. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

When it comes to musical instruments of any kind, the old saying really is pretty true - "You get what you pay for" I remember reading an article in Guitar Aficiando Mag once that had a very good interview with Slash. When they asked him what advice he would give to a new player, regarding the purchase of gear, he said (paraphrased) "Spend as much money as you can afford to spend on the guitar, until it hurts,... the amp can wait". As for strats, I love my 2001 AVRI but I have also been quite impressed lately with the MIM 50's style strats too. Heck of a lot of guitar for 500 out the door in my book.

Telebeestar and Bluego1 like this.
  17. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Spoken like a true Gibson endorser..sic salesman :D:eek::oops:

18. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

I just picked up a new player strat for $580. Absolutely love it!

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Wow, I could not disagree with ol' Slash more. I doubt he does a lot of playing of the newer stuff coming out of Asia. If he did, and he played with an open mind, he (and you) might be surprised. My Larrivee is in the closet right now, replaced on the wall by a Blueridge. My preferred gigging guitar is a MIC Epi. I have a bass that is ridiculously perfect, out of Korea. Not saying USA stuff is garbage, I'm saying the quality gap is small to nonexistent depending on brand.

20. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

do you know what year this happened?

I recently put one from 2017 on layby, would this have alnico pickups?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.