If I just want a decent strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluego1, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Can I go Affinity? $200.
    [​IMG]
    Or does it require modding to get a decent strat tone. I’m afraid the Bullet is just too budget-priced to leave alone.
    Or do I go up to the CV? Is the price differential worth it? $350 vs $200.

[​IMG]

Or, as far as I’m willing to go, the Player strat. I don’t really care what the name on the headstock says, though I’m sure that’s part of the price differential. This one is $675. I just want a strat that gets classic strattish sounds without modding. I’ll probably play it maybe 20% of the time, and just at home.

[​IMG]

Skydog1010 and 24 track like this.
  2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Used MiM Standard if you can find one for about the price of the CV. Try and find one from after they switched to Alnicos. Otherwise, the CV isn’t far behind in build quality. The Bullets play OK but do look and sound cheaper. I don’t think it’ll feel like a full fat Strat where the CV will.

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

go used mim...almost the best deals goin...250-350 gets ya some good choices

4. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Shop around the used market, in your locality. I paid £240 for this Classic Player 50s, with the killer 57/62 pickups, two point trem, big frets, 9'5 radius, lovely V-neck...….

my CP50s.jpg

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

Save a lot of time, and money, find a used MIA Standard.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

this is a subjective question , I own 2 american strats one: 1978, bought new , over priced ( 1800.00) and took a lot of love to make it mine, two: 1998 american blood & guts special , used pawn shop prize 200.00 ( lots of total dismantling to wash the bio hazard off of it, I'm serious) finally came up with buying 6 pick guards and loading them with different electronics to suit my mood .
    result I have 2 beautiful guitars to play ( finally)
    now having bored you with the details each guitar will require a set up to your specs and playing it may take time to dial in, etc
    Or in the case of my affinity tele the pick ups sound fantastic , set up was brilliant , electronics were cheap oriental crap, this required a full gutting and replacement of CTS pots, fender 3 way switch, orange drop cap, how ever the pickups were out standing

although fine instruments you will need to make it your own

P1011911.JPG

7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

You sure have done some homework Bluego1! I think those look like fine models but I haven't picked them up hopefully someone can chime in that has tried em.

I have a 2013 Fender HSS Standard Stratocaster that really plays great, always is in tune (although I don't use the trem bar much). I might entertain the thought of switching the humbucker to a JB model but that's for another day. I would say this is a great value if its in the range your looking into.

The HSS worked for me but the SSS models have a great following too. The prices are decent.

Strat_and_Fine59.jpg

stevemc and Bluego1 like this.
  8. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I have an hss Yamaha Pacifica. I want an sss Strat for position 2. I’ve only bought new, same with cars. Something just makes me connect more with new stuff. Prolly a real flaw in my makeup but one I can live with.

Festofish, Bruxist and magicfingers99 like this.
  9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I would go for a used 2018 Player Strat in excellent condition for <$500 where no mods or upgrades are needed. You would just be done and have a real Strat to play 20% to 100% of the time.

10. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Oh shes not for sale, just a suggestion! I just looked and it seems they don't make the "Standard Stratocaster" model no mo'?
    Always have liked your posts do show us what ya get when the time comes!

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The only way for you to know is to go try them. IMO the ceramic pickups in the Affinity sound a lot more like a vintage Alnico Strat pickup than the overwound ceramics used in the Mexican standard guitars. The new CV Squiers won't start shipping until next month, and the effect on the tone from switching to a Nato body from Alder is still an unknown. That being said, I have the universally praised previous Chinese made CV 60s Strat with Alder body, impressive Tonerider sourced Alnico pickups, and rosewood board, and although it's a great guitar, it can't begin to compare to my Player Strat IMO, which can hold its own against any American made Strat.

mkdaws32, Bruxist, NewKid and 2 others like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Used MIM. ~ $300-350 Add better pickups for $75.
    USA Strats still go on CL for $500-600! 2 weeks ago another 90's Super Strat was on the local CL here again for that! You'll never lose money on it.

13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I must say, they’re a chunk more cash, but used American Standards are probably the best value for money of any guitar out there (along with used SG standards) taking all factors into account like fit, finish, playability, features, etc. You can pick them up for the price of a new Mexican Player series (or less) and they’re better in so many small ways to Squiers and MiMs. I got my 2010 for £650 (<$800) as a mint condition ex-demo guitar when the new spec 2012s came in. On the private market, they’re cheaper. It’s the best guitar I ever bought. Not the one I play most, but I’ll keep it forever. It’s the only Strat I’ll need.

14. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You could, but it will not cure the GAS for a strat. You will always wonder about what an American Std, JV Signature, etc. plays like? I am a firm believer that you will be ahead of the game if you choose to get what you really want the first time out instead of a compromise item.

If you want a really good strat, find yourself a '90's Strat-Plus and call it a day. I have yet to play a strat that played any better than that model, especially a later model with the LSR nut. When I bought mine (a '96) 7 years ago, I sold off the 3 other strats that I had including a new American Std and have never been tempted to buy anything else. If patient, you should be able to find one for a decent price with molded case....I paid $750.

15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I’m so close to pre-ordering the new CV. Supposed to ship October 9. They’re made in Indonesia which is fine with me. My best-made guitar, a Jackson Pro King V was made there. I think it’s better built than my MIA Les Paul Tribute.

Matthias and tubedood like this.
  16. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

The CV is a sound choice. The Affinity doesn't have a full thickness body, and has a narrow nut. The Standard, VMs and CVs should all scratch that itch.

Telekarster, Fretting out and Bluego1 like this.
  17. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

best value for money? MIM standard, used.. It has all the things you need from a strat.. easily upgradable..

best value for a really nice strat and feel really good about it? American Standard, used. I dont know if you'll ever upgrade that one, I have a buddy that bought his american standard late 2011, and up to this day, he never changed a thing except strings and bone nut.. properly set up, bone nut, frets levelled, its already getting beat up as its his number 1 strat..

best value to scratch the itch for a decent strat? Squier Classic Vibe strats.. if you're going for rosewood, best to get older models, 2017 and below.. otherwise indian laurel or pau ferro is fine..

Strats are like a sink hole.. once you get them, there's so many other things you'll want after.. I used to have 2, one for vintage sounding, one for modern sounding, and was itching for more.. they're unlike my tele's where I can just be satisfied with one, and be happy with it..

awasson and Bluego1 like this.
  18. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

+1 on the used mim!

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

People need to read the OPs posts. He doesn't want to buy used, or to have to mod what he buys! Pay attention people! Stop wasting his time with irrelevant suggestions.

20. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Straighten em out, my dude;).

Fretting out and Greggorios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.