If I get a strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluego1, Dec 22, 2018.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I last looked at and purchased a Fender 20 some years ago.

My experience then was that there was a big difference in quality between a Squire and a MIM Fender. Not so big a difference between MIM and USA made--unless you went really high end, like Custom Shop.

As a friend of mine said, the MIM Fenders are made by cousins of the people building the American mades in Corona.

But the Squires are good deals for the money. I'm pretty sure you really can't go wrong.

Bluego1 likes this.
  2. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Nah, the herd can only grow (tries to insert emoji to convey a smile but apparently it’s not possible to with this Ghostery browser I have to use in order for this site not to crash out on me every two minutes).

3. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I hear you. I have problems with banging the middle pup on my Pacifica. Hmmm..

4. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

MIM vs Squier, I think Squier Vintage modified line of guitars beats MIM hands down. I haven’t tried a classic vibe, but I imagine it’s a similar story.

There is even a made in China Fender branded that the Vintage Modified beats.

MIA is a cut above but you pay for that.

5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

I own 13 Fender strats that were all bought used.

I haven't bought a new guitar in many years.

I personally would rather pay $400-$600 on a good used American Strat, than a new MIM CS or Squier CV strat .

A new MIM Fender Classic Series Strat is $800, and a new Fender Squier Classic Vibe strat is $400.

I picked up these used American Fender strats in the last 3 yrs.

$500 - '75 Fender Standard Strat
    $325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus Strat
    $400 - '07 Fender '57 AVRI Strat
    $438 - '89 Fender Standard Strat

If I go to sell any of these Strats above, I'd most likely make a decent profit.

These days with Fender asking so much more for their new Teles and Strats, it just makes way more money sense to find a nice used one.

Ripradiant likes this.
  7. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

A baja tele is not anything near a Gibson Les paul (full model not studio etc)! You can float across the ocean on a plank or a yacht... each will get you there but make no mistake they are not the same!

Its not about must buy USA its just about best instrument at best value.

Based on the number of guitars in your It looks like you know your way around a guitar. I suggest that a guitar is not that complicated... anything wrong is pretty obvious.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Bluego1 likes this.
  8. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Number 1 or 3....Of those two, I would go with the lightest. If both necks feel good...you can always swap out the pups. If it were me, and both 1 and 3 were close...well I am not in your shoes.:D Good luck! Merry Christmas. :)

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Time for 'nother Tele!!!

Bluego1 likes this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Have to say it again though I said it in another thread - you've been playing less than a year. We are all gearhounds on this site and everyone is going to egg you on. But if you want to become a good enough player to be in a band and so on (and it's NOT impossible at all), settle one one or two guitars and spend all your money on lessons and your guitar-time on focused and disciplined practice. You can do most anything you would want to do with one solid versatile guitar (like a tele, a SSH strat, etc.). I have been playing for 30 years off and on, I'm in a band now and I play / jam with other folks on the regular, and the four 6-string electrics I have are already more than I need. You mentioned learning power chords and learning from youtube in another thread - I'd put that strat money straight into lessons if I were you, pronto.

Bluego1 likes this.
  11. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Heck with a Strat, try buying a new Hat;)

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I think it’s a matter of the narrow field of focus he’s got in his selection. The only used American Strat the fits the feature bill would be an American Standard and as far as that’s concerned the Player would sweep the floor with it. The Player IMO is the best value for the dollar in the Fender catalogue. It’s the only one that I would play and not want to immediately tweak for better tones.

Bluego1 likes this.
  13. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Guess I found the right place for gearhounds. I hear you and appreciate the advice. My approach to collecting is different I guess. I get a lot of appreciation out of the aesthetics as well as functionality. I have over 50 knives. Some cost in the thousands, some thirty bucks. Do I use them all? Not really. But I stare at them and I sharpen them and I marvel at how certain steels hold an edge. And if I can throw one of them twenty yards with a bullseye, I can come pretty damned close with the others.
    With the guitars, so far I do play them all. I’ve easily logged eighty hours on each of them in the short time I’ve been playing. I have a very solid grasp on the quality of each, at least relative to each other. I’m very aware of which pickups I like to do whatever with. And I’ve probably been short selling myself a bit. I’ve been to some small venues around here where I could easily have stepped in, skillwise at least. I know it’s not the ideal way to learn guitar, but it’s making me feel pretty versatile and it’s just the way I like to roll. I’m retired. Nothing but time for as much pickin and grinnin as I want.

Ripradiant likes this.
  14. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Oh, and when I open my Vox VTX 40 in the morning, sh*t’s gonna get real.

awasson likes this.
  15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Shuster likes this.
  16. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

:lol::lol:LOL!!!

Bluego1 likes this.
  17. Squiertony

Squiertony TDPRI Member

Nice Deluxe plate....

18. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've had two CV 50's Strats, both good bang for the buck but alas...not keepers. They're long gone and I really don't miss them.
    IMHO...you'd be best served with the Player's Series. I let an Am Spec go awhile back and miss it. This is basically that series replacement. And that Buttercream...yeah baby!!!

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Meh. You'll put yer eye out wittit.

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

There’s a shot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.