If I get a strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluego1, Dec 22, 2018.

1. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Realistically palm muting existed before 1980. I have never had a problem palm muting and I can't recall any complaints about the strat and palm muting in the 70's.

2. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Too tall height adjustment screws on the saddles can make palm muting a pain.

Bluego1 likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have a Strat. It's one of four electrics I own and play regularly. I wanted a guitar specifically for finger style vocal accompaniment and found the sound of the 2012-16 American Standard, especially the neck and middle together, to be better than others I played. I found one pre-loved at the right price and bought it. A year and a half ago with the hum driving me mad, I replaced the pickups with Vintage Noiseless. The sound is a little different but I still get the sounds I want from it plus others IMO that are better that what I got before. I like it a lot. Is there advice in this? Play Strats until you find one to love within your budget and buy it. Stratocasters and Telecasters are easy to modify if you find after owning it for a while that there's something you just can't live with. And if you buy used, you won't lose enough trading or selling to matter. Use positive and negative comments in threads like this as a guide to what to look for or watch out for, but nothing matters as much as what your ears and hands tell you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    awasson, Bluego1 and Djentleman Dan like this.
  4. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Squiers are okay but Buttercream is only colour to go !

8barlouie and Bluego1 like this.
  5. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

I haven't tried a Player Series, but I've had a Standard for about 13 years. Plays nice, a bit on the heavy side for a Strat... The pickups let it down a lot, but they've been upgraded on the Player Series to what I believe are the same pickups as on the American Standard.

I had a go of a Squier Classic Vibe a few years ago. I was very impressed with the tone and feeling of quality. My only complaint was the fretboard edges felt a bit hard compared with the Fender.

Bluego1 and Djentleman Dan like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

A floating trem can be difficult to palm mute without dropping the tuning. Takes time to work that out.

I really prefer to take the middle pickup off the tone circuit and put the bridge pickup on the tone circuit. That tames the overly bright bridge pickup and increases the quack in positions 2 & 4. If you do a parallel/series mod for the middle pickup, you'll have great HB tones when needed.

awasson, Bluego1 and beyer160 like this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

That buttercream I showed has a dedicated tone knob for the bridge.

8. Zepfan

I heard that some of the new ones made that stock now, but I think the middle and neck share the other tone pot. Remove the middle from that pot and adjust it down a bit and you'll be in quack heaven. Also helps with people having picking troubles hitting pickups.;)

awasson and Bluego1 like this.
  9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

This is a super easy mod (it only requires moving one wire) that every Strat owner should do. Some guys like to have the neck pickup off the tone circuit and the other two on, but I like to be able to roll the tone off the neck pickup for use with a Fuzz Face. The middle pickup sounds fantastic without being connected to the tone circuit, and I can't imagine a scenario in which I'd need to roll high end out of it- that's why Leo gave us a neck pickup.

awasson, Bluego1 and Zepfan like this.
  10. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

IMO, you could pick any one of them and come out a winner. Obviously the CV is great value for the money but it seems to me that the CV’s are a real staple guitar as well as being a great value. They’re great in that you can get into a good Strat for not a lot of money.

I’m already a self admitted Strat fanatic so I don’t need to wonder if Strats are for me or whether I can get along with them. For me the winner is the Player Series. It is by far the best bang for the buck. It seems to me that the new Player Series has all of the features of the old American Standard Series had and then some.

THe Deluxe is nice and if there were no Player Series I’d be all over it but... The Player Series exists and it’s the one I’d get.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

SSS stock wiring is the worst thing about a strat, the most important pickup spot (the bridge) is next to useless without a mod. Stick with your Pacifica, young jedi.

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

But is that not addressed in the player series with a dedicated bridge control as mentioned a mere 4 posts above yours, oh wise waffle master?

13. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

A lot of strat players like a hotter bridge pickup or a calibrated set. The hardtail pictured in my icon has CS 54's for the neck and middle and a Dimarzio HS2 wired as a single-coil for the bridge along with the dedicated tone controls for neck and bridge. It's all personal preference, though. A lot of great music has been made with stock, off the rack strats from any decade.

Bluego1 and 8barlouie like this.
  14. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Well, not in my opinion - but strat fans differ. It's not just the lack of a tone control but the overall weakness of the bridge pickup that hurts a strat. You can address it with a pickup swap, or by going SSH like what you already have. But looking at your 10 electric guitars you have bought in your 10 months as a player, you're gonna scratch that itch, so don't let me stop you! :)

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

If you are even considering buying a mex for $600 plus or a squier for 400 why on earth wouldn't you just buy a US strat which can be had in the used market for about the same price?

16. Zepfan

I can like a no-tone pot for the bridge pup in a Strat if the bridge pup is a Tele bridge pup. Because it sounds fatter than the Strat bridge pup.

17. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Never been into buying used stuff. Too much mystery. If I can’t afford something new, I just won’t buy it. I’m sure that would change, by necessity, if I was into vintage or discontinued stuff but I’m just not. I’m also not of the must buy US crowd. My Mexican Baja tele is every bit the quality of my Gibson Les Paul tribute. My Indonesian Jackson Pro King V blows them both out of the water.

AngelDeville likes this.
  18. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to get really opinionated for a second and say something that probably isn't what you want to hear.

Seeing how many guitars you have, if I were you I'd consider thinning the herd a little to get what you really want. I know that may be painful, but it sounds like you already know you want a good Strat. I'd also suggest looking for a quality Fender Strat on the used market. But hey, there's nothing wrong with a Squier CV if that's the price point you prefer.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Well I'm going to chunk this in>>>>>>>>>>>>>>A Squire Deluxe!

IC=Cort Factory Indonesia. Mine is a 2009 but I am really impressed with the build quality. Apparently very good QC. IMHO this is a lot of value for the price. I've owned several USA Strats over the years, so I do have some background on how a real strat works/feels. I don't know what the quality now is of current production but mine plays/sounds as good as some of MIA's I've had. Two point bridge, Alinco 5 Duncan Design PU's, small headstock(like vintage), good quality electronics. To me it reaks quality to have Squier on it. IMHO a well kept secret--never seen one in GC. Platefire
    • Basswood body with gloss polyurethane finish
    • Satin-fiinish, maple on maple neck with 9.5" radius
    • Duncan Designed single-coil pickups with 5-way blade switch
    • 2-point synchronized tremolo bridge, standard die-cast tuners
    Specifications
    Body
    • Body shape: Double cutaway
    • Body type: Solid body
    • Body material: Solid wood
    • Top wood:
    • Body wood: Basswood
    • Body finish: Gloss Polyurethane
    • Orientation: Right handed
    Neck
    • Neck shape: C standard
    • Neck wood: Maple
    • Joint: Bolt-on
    • Scale length: 25.5 in.
    • Truss rod: Yes
    • Neck finish: Satin Polyurethane
    Fretboard
    • Material: Maple
    • Radius: 9.5 in.
    • Fret size: Medium jumbo
    • Number of frets: 22
    • Inlays: Dot
    • Nut width: 1.65 in. (42 mm) Not specified
    Pickups
    • Configuration: SSS
    • Neck: Single-coil
    • Middle: Single-coil
    • Bridge: Single-coil
    • Brand: Duncan Designed
    • Active or passive pickups: Passive
    • Series or parallel: Parallel
    • Piezo: No
    • Active EQ: No
    • Special electronics:
    Controls
    • Control layout: Master volume, tone 1, tone 2
    • Pickup switch: 5-way
    • Coil tap or split: No
    • Kill switch: No
    Hardware
    • Bridge type: Tremolo/Vibrato
    • Bridge design: 2-point synchronized
    • Tailpiece: Not applicable
    • Tuning machines: Die-cast
    • Color: Nickel
    Other
    • Number of strings: 6-string
    • Special features:
    • Case: Sold separately
    • Accessories:
    • Country of origin: Info not available

Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 012.jpg
    Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 015.jpg
    Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 021.jpg
    Squier Deluxe Stratocaster 023.jpg

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

If you buy a strat you wil constantly be
    1-Banging the hell, out of yer pinky on the volume
    2-beating the hell out of middle pup
    3-using the five way and tone knobs to find a plethera of sounds you don't need.

-here to help

Controller and Bluego1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.