If I could turn back time..(muscle car content)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I could never afford any vintage muscle, pony, or sports cars ( but love the look and sound)

So about 2 years ago ( pre- you know what...) I started to collect die-cast cars, thanks to Birthday gifts from our son!
Here are a few- if you forget that they are on a bath towel, you can pretend they are real, on beach sand, like I do!
20200831_115835.jpg
20210819_171506.jpg
20200622_085657.jpg

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Had one of these back when. Bought it for $500 from an ad in the "Thrifty Nickel." What a beast. Oldsmobile 425 cid Super Rocket motor with 10:1 compression. Turbohydromatic 3-speed. Posi rear. Factory buckets and tach. Delta body with 2 doors. Trunk you could put 5 bodies in.

1966 Oldsmobile Starfire

images

If I had the time and money and a place to keep it safe from the elements, I'd get another one and resto-mod it. Keep the drivetrain, electronic ignition, lower it tastefully, re-do interior in black with red piping. Badass wheels and tires. Then go to car shows and accumulate hardware for being "unique" (i.e., not a Mustang or Camaro). But with gas going for darn near four bucks, nah.

phart

TDPRI Member
Truth (grr), but I really just want the car. :) Would drive the paint off of one.
Oh, same here, brother. It’s like that famous sociological experiment where every kid gets a marshmallow, but if they can wait to eat it for five minutes they get a second marshmallow. Some kids can and some can’t.

Marshmallows are one thing, I doubt there are many who can resist the temptation of a hot, rare Porsche sex machine sitting in the garage for 50 YEARS!!

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I learned to drive stickshift in this:

View attachment 902129

My Dad was in the automobile business from ~1948-1980...he loved the muscle cars/big engines...you name it--it has been in our driveway.

While I love the idea of muscle cars it's funny how things have changed. My 4 cylinder, 10 speed automatic, 2021 Ford Ranger has a 0-60 time of 6.1 seconds and a quarter mile time of 14.7 seconds.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
While I love the idea of muscle cars it's funny how things have changed. My 4 cylinder, 10 speed automatic, 2021 Ford Ranger has a 0-60 time of 6.1 seconds and a quarter mile time of 14.7 seconds.
In the early 00s, I had a friend with a lot of disposable income. He'd had some very fast cars for that era (Viper ACR, couple of C5 Z06s), but nursed a retro Mopar itch and finally got a perfectly restored '70 Charger with the 440/3x2bbl.

He tried to love it, but sold it after a year, saying it was just too slow and wasn't otherwise fun to drive apart from the noise; bad brakes, terrible handling, fuel economy of course. Driveline slop meant you never got near what those massive hp/tq figures promised. They're cool cars and all, but getting roasted by some kid in a stock Scooby isn't very muscular imo.

nedorama

Tele-Holic
I've had my 67 Lemans Convertible for 16 years, and it's been a journey to rebuild it. And yes, there are things that we remember with rose-tinted glasses from back then. As my daily driver, aI can attest that not everything was great back then:

Drum brakes suck. Hard to stop a 2 ton car with drum brakes, and if they're wet forget about it. Swapped out for disc brakes all the way around.
Loose steering - there was a lot of slop in the old steering boxes; swapped mine out for an 80's Camaro and steering is tight
Overheating - this is more of a Pontiac issue, but sitting in traffic becomes a challenge, especially in Southern CA. Will need to swap out a Champion 3-row aluminum radiator with electric fans and thermostat.
Transmission - the Pontiac ST-300 2-speed automatic was horrible in any speed; swapped for a 200-4R, same as in a Buick Grand National.

That being said, I love driving it, and getting 11mpg is the price to pay for a fun ride.

IMG_6493.jpeg

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I've had my 67 Lemans Convertible for 16 years, and it's been a journey to rebuild it. And yes, there are things that we remember with rose-tinted glasses from back then. As my daily driver, aI can attest that not everything was great back then:

Drum brakes suck. Hard to stop a 2 ton car with drum brakes, and if they're wet forget about it. Swapped out for disc brakes all the way around.
Loose steering - there was a lot of slop in the old steering boxes; swapped mine out for an 80's Camaro and steering is tight
Overheating - this is more of a Pontiac issue, but sitting in traffic becomes a challenge, especially in Southern CA. Will need to swap out a Champion 3-row aluminum radiator with electric fans and thermostat.
Transmission - the Pontiac ST-300 2-speed automatic was horrible in any speed; swapped for a 200-4R, same as in a Buick Grand National.

That being said, I love driving it, and getting 11mpg is the price to pay for a fun ride.

View attachment 902147
Nice upgrades, beautiful car. The 64-67 A-platform cars are my favorites of the era. Pops had a '66 GTO, I just love the lines on all of those cars, especially the Pontiacs.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
When I was a senior in high school I read a classified ad in our small town local paper listing a 1969 Mustang 428 SCJ for sale.
I called and talked to the dude and it turns out it was legit, but a literal basket case project.
He had bought it as disassembled from another guy who gave up on the project.
Decided he wasn’t up to it either and was trying to pass it along.
I don’t remember the price, but it was not too much.
I’d helped my neighbor restore a 56 Belair Chevy so I knew a little bit about car projects.
Enough to know it wasn’t always as easy as you wanted it to be.
I was really interested but knew that I didn’t have the money, knowledge, tools, time, facility to take it on so it has just been a daydream of mine for the past 35 years.
I hope someone did it justice.

DesmoDog

Tele-Afflicted
the 1998 subaru impreza wrx sti 22b released as a tribute to winning 3 straight world rally championships...only 400 made...selling now for 100k...never sold in the usa...they are over 25 years old and now can be imported into the usa

Color me confused on this one...

How can a car from 1998 be over 25 years old in 2021?

EDIT: Google search says they built the cars between March and August 1998. That means they won't be eligible to import until March of 2023 at the earliest. (They go by manufacture date, not model year)

Last edited:

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I was only three for my "wish I would have," but I'd have loved to be an early taker on a '73 Carrera RS (911). USD around $10k MSRP, they started fetching over a million (spec dependent) in 2017. Not some super-rare thing like the Cudas or L88 Vettes either, they made as many of them as they do GT3s today, around 1500 cars.

You and every other P-car nut (including me) wants a 73 Carrera. Closest I’ll ever get is the seat time I had in my friends 73 911S back in the day.

Compulsory pics:

2532C397-8BF4-4112-83BC-C6BEFE60DC83.png

901FA854-88F9-4CA7-904B-49C20A39A2BD.jpeg

FD1B6D14-B26E-4CE3-BACB-703D755E7015.jpeg

C15B147F-507B-46CF-9A74-FD98FE04460C.jpeg

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
I think I'll hang on to my POS a bit longer. It might be worth something someday:

nyRriOhl.jpg

lBhiefil.jpg

ChjuGT6l.jpg

OBFTo4Cl.jpg

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic
LOL! So wow, I read that title wrong! I read;
"If I could turn back time..(muscle car content)"
And instantly thought "wait, this dude is saying that Cher song is a great cruising song? Wut?

afterdarkmusic

TDPRI Member
But in the late 80s I got a used 82 RX7 exactly like this one below, but I did not take care of it. I wish I could go back and save it and have it today. Most fun car I have ever had.
View attachment 902029

Man, my dad used to have a light blue RX7 of the same era. It was supposed to be my car when I turned 16, but it rusted in the driveway instead. Sold it as a restoration project. Have a lotta fun zipping around in that thing with him, though.