If I could afford a Master Built, custom Fender....

Rusty Spanner

Tele-Meister
...I'd love a really nicely made version of my Squier Tele Custom II.

Mahogany body.
Exactly the same neck, but a posher bit of maple.

I'd just add better pots, nut and wiring, a belly and forearm carve, locking tuners and a nice nitro finish.

I think that would probably make me happy for the rest of my life.

What would you go for?

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
I had one of those in my teens. nice guitar, but i destroyed it. wanted to know how pickups work, so I ripped the wiring to shred, peeled off the wax, unwound the pickups.

I would get an HH tele too if money was no object.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yeah, that guy here, sorry.

I love Fender and I knowingly and willingly buy Fender guitars and pay more than I need to because Fender is the brand that is synonymous with Rock’n’roll.

That said, if Fender can’t make a $2,000 guitar with decent quality control I can’t see paying 3-4 times that for the same guitar except it doesn’t need a nut replaced, a jack installed correctly, shielding, grounding, and fret leveling. Ok, tell us how you really feel! Sure. Fender is like my brother, I love him anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, my next guitar will be another Fender. And don’t get me wrong, it will need basic work when I get it. I don’t think I could tolerate that at a higher price point.

Last edited:

horseman308

Tele-Holic
Well, for funs-ies, if money were of no concern....

I'd go with an ash body 72 Custom, but make it into a Thinline body. WRHB neck pu and 1 Meg pots, overwound Tele bridge with 250k pots, maple neck with a Rosewood 22-fret board, Bigsby B5, contoured heel.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I would buy a Suhr for that money and likely have money left over and have a better guitar.
Yeah, that guy here, sorry.

I love Fender and I knowingly and willingly buy Fender guitars and pay more than I need to because Fender is the brand that is synonymous with Rock’n’roll.

That said, if Fender can’t make a $2,000 guitar with decent quality control I can’t see paying 3-4 times that for the same guitar except it doesn’t need a nut replaced, a jack installed correctly, shielding, grounding, and fret leveling. Ok, tell us how you really feel! Sure. Fender is like my brother, I love him anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, my next guitar will be another Fender. And don’t get me wrong, it will need basic work when I get it. I don’t think I could tolerate that at a higher price point.

I equate boutique brands like Suhr, Anderson, and my personal fave Grosh like sports cars. There’s a refinement there that seems to be absent even from very expensive Fenders.

High end Fenders are like tricked out Ford trucks or something. To me it’s a different vibe.

I’d happily take a Grosh and pocket the rest of the cash. But to answer the question, I’d just do a master built version of an AVRI 69 Thinline, but with bigger frets.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Strat, 2.5 tone sunburst (opaque) light alder body, vintage trem, alnico III pickups with overwound bridge, light vee 9.5" radius flame maple neck, 1 5/8" nut, medium jumbo SS frets.

Doctorx33

Friend of Leo's
I would have a quantum level copy made of my 1960 slab board Strat made exactly as it is now, although I wouldn’t have it done by Fender.

72802F34-9603-4583-AE17-9A33AA806633.jpeg

fasteddie42

Tele-Afflicted
Traditional telecaster control layout

Thinline body w f hole pick guard

Double bound sunburst with herringbone purfling and cream binding.

Cream bound neck

I'd request Ron Thorn

srblue5

Tele-Holic
I didn’t have a good experience with a CS 56 Strat reissue I owned years ago so I’d be hard pressed to consider another CS guitar. I’m happy enough with my Vintera and G&L Teles.

That being said, if quality was guaranteed, I would love a reissue of a hardtail 55 Strat like Ronnie Wood’s or a reissue Jag with block inlays.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ok, I had coffee and my attitude improved.
If I were to order a Master Built from Fender it would be a semi-hollow Strat HSS in Daphne but I’d ask them to metal flake the Daphne blue. And match the headstock. Birdseye maple neck throughout. Trem bridge with locking tuners because life is too short to wind my strings haha. I’d add series-parallel in 2 spots and coil tap for the bucker. Between the switches and locking machines some purists might not love it but I would.
Oh, neck would be 60s C, I have pretty big hands so that works for you me. Pearloid guard and MoP blocks on the neck.
And I’m serious when I say this, I would let the builder tell me which pickups would sound best.