If Hagar had not joined VH, who should have been the new singer?

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Arena rock singers in the mid 80s were all terrible and corny. DLR was the right kind of clown to make it entertaining. Hagar was the worst choice though. He sounds like a shaving cream commercial.
Yes, and with shameful lyrics like( how do you know when it’s love) their legacy could have done without …

Vegetable Man

Tele-Meister
Robert Plant came to mind first, but I think that the best answer so far has been Tina Turner.

My wildcard choice would be Prince.

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
So I am solidly in the Van Hagar camp. I Love the Dave era stuff..... Dave is hella fun. I have Eat 'em and Smile framed on my wall.... that was a much better band for Dave than VH was (IMHO).

But to answer the OP question:

Leslie West.

He and Ed knew eachother well, and dude had a style. It would not have been VH as we knew it, but it could have been awesome. There is video of Van Hagar playing Mississippi Queen with Leslie. Much as I love Sammy his voice is so weak next to Leslie

Last edited:

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
My vote is for Dio.

Game Over…
was waiting for this.
Yes, that would actually be a Rock and Roll gamble worth taking…
rather than a corporate calculation backed by promo$
VH died for me when SH came on, I left it for the teen girls…
P.S. SH move solidified for me VH was a gimmick and not a real contender

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Tweedly tweedly…
(lower octave) tweedly tweedly bend, hammer on
More tweedly tweedly
Smile like it’s easy… well..

I did like a few on the first album
<edit=less harsh>

Last edited:

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
I see you are in Hamilton, were you part of their early Punk scene?
I think there's a good documentary aboot that.
After VH1, I bailed on Rock music and went into Punk, New Wave, etc.

i was living about 30 miles away from here at the time, and was a bit young, so i missed the good stuff. I saw teenage head, and then the newly solo kim mitchell at a nearby high school around that time, but i was 11 years old in 1980, so, you know lol.

Its still a very punk city though

and we dont say "aboot" here lol

fraser

Tele-Afflicted
Tweedly tweedly…
(lower octave) tweedly tweedly bend, hammer on
More tweedly tweedly
Smile like it’s easy… well.. it sorta’ is?
Grumpy for all the “real players” with actual songs and soul who worked and worked for scraps while VH tweedled to success

beer will cheer you up.
Mmm beer

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
i was living about 30 miles away from here at the time, and was a bit young, so i missed the good stuff. I saw teenage head, and then the newly solo kim mitchell at a nearby high school around that time, but i was 11 years old in 1980, so, you know lol.

Its still a very punk city though

and we dont say "aboot" here lol
I'm just a few miles from you, Hamilton's steel roots means it will always have that punk element to me, great city.

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
They'd need to be fun. That's the missing ingredient in most of the suggestions IMHO, and why cherone didn't work. A core element in that band was child-like, devious, sometimes-sentimental fun.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
They'd need to be fun. That's the missing ingredient in most of the suggestions IMHO, and why cherone didn't work. A core element in that band was child-like, devious, sometimes-sentimental fun.
You want fun? Grampa Jones was fun. Ethel Merman was fun. Roy Clark was fun. Jim Carrey was fun.

Andy Kaufman was fun, and he could sing too. Gets my vote...

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
after two terrible ones they should have become an instrumental band. eddy would have been enough and wouldn't need anymore bad singers!

play music!