If every successive generation of DSP/SS Amps is better and more tube-like than the one before...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 1, 2019.

1. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Here's a little SS amp secret (well,maybe…. ;>) )
    Years ago I wandered into a pawn shop,and saw what I though was a BF Princeton.Upon further examination,it turned out to be a Fender Yale Reverb.

50 watts
    Solid State
    1-12"
    3 volumes,single channel (Volume,gain,master)
    Reverb
    Treble,mid,bass

This thing is a SLEEPER---super touch sensitive,plenty of volume and tonal varieties.I bought it and a second one a couple of years later (which was stolen).I just bought another one on Reverb.
    This amp is near the top of all that I've ever owned...and I have a '59 Bassman (and 3 other tweeds),a DR Z,a Fuchs,a Bad Cat,and a DRRI! I put in an overkill EVO-12,and the new one will get the same treatment.

Attached Files:

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

And where do you think all of the modeling amps are made?

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Modeling amps can be and are made in countries other than China. Tubes aren't made anywhere other than the places I mentioned. It's illegal to manufacture them due to the toxic waste production.

gwjensen, JayFreddy and TeleTex82 like this.
  4. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Sounds like, we should buy some spare tubes, while in production.

I do have a Bandit 65, Roland Cube 30, original and a Fender Roc Pro head, should tubes become obsolete.

Tks,

YMMV

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Very good, but I think that is the point, "never reach ... but ... practical". Yup, it will never replace a tube amp, but it could become a practical facsimile.

Ricky D. likes this.
  6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Engineering-wise, at some point the costs of additional refinement just aren't justified for the application. The better Line6 amps of ten years ago were solid reliable gigging amps, thinking about their 90 watt 2x12 combo.

MilwMark, Obsessed and getbent like this.
  7. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I have to presume you mean jeans. I quit buying floppy bellbottoms when I discovered The Ramones... and their peglegged jeans. After that, only hippies wore bellbottoms.

I've been saying this for decades now... would it be so hard? I finally gave up and started wearing Adidas Superstars... also classic, but with some real arch support for my aging bones.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

As for tubes and modellers, I've been through my modelling phase. I had a Vox AD30VT that was tons o' fun at home, but never sounded as good onstage for... whatever reason. I passed the old AD along to a friend and now have all-tube amps around the house and onstage. (Save for my little battery-powered Vox Mini 3.) Generally, I just feel better with hot glass in my loudbox.

That said, when I read that those Tonemasters weigh just a bit more than half what their tube equivalents do, I totally get the appeal. I remain skeptical though.

9. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister

Is this actually true?

I see information around the web that there is US-based vacuum tube manufacturing even today, so I thought I'd ask. Maybe I have out-dated information?

10. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

It's bizarre that so many people talk as though there's some universal standard for feel and tone and response in guitar amps. That premise is not only flawed, it's ridiculous and just reflects the narcissism of my generation. Who on earth decided that rock tone, via electric guitar and tube amps, was some eternal nirvana to be adored and, yes, emulated forever? With most listeners listening to digitized files via headphones, earbuds, or other personal systems, of course standards for tone are going to change. This is already obvious, not only in amp configurations, but in the music itself! Tell some 19 year old that that wonderful tone "sounds like Kossoff" and you'll get a blank look followed by, "I hate that ****" or my personal favorite, "I'm not into vintage." Personally, I'm way more interested in the new, small, SS pedal-size amps than I am somebody's new take on the 4 channel/switching 100W truckasaurus.

11. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The remaining US manufacturers do not make audio tubes. They make specialized tubes for medical, scientific, some high power radio broadcasting, and microwave applications.

Manufacturers of the tubes used in audio equipment are as follows:

#1 Location China; Shuagang

Brands and Sub Brands:
    Sino China, Shuguang, Golden Dragon,

Rebranders: Mesa, Ruby, TAD, Groove Tubes, PM Components, Valve Art, Peavey, Fender, ......

#2 Location Slovak Republic: JJ Electronic

Brands and Sub Brands:
    JJ, Telefunken Black Diamond

Rebranders: Mesa, Ruby, TAD, Groove Tubes, PM Components, Valve Art, Peavey, Fender, ......

#3 Location Saratov Russia: Reflektor Corporation

Brands and Sub Brands:
    New Sensor, Electro Harmonix, Mullard reissue, Tung Sol reissue, Sovtek, Genalex Gold Lion, Svetlana (not real Svetlana),

12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Eventually they'll be able to 3D print ya any tube ya want for about 35 cents.

THEN WHAT?

13. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 TDPRI Member

My project studio has a Kemper and an OX and a few nice old tube amps.

I say skip this years solid state gizmo amp/ model.

Instead buy at least 1 well maintainded vintage fender tweed or blackface tube amp. Expensive? Yes. But probably you can sell it in few years for the same or more than you paid. The most actively traded used vintage amp on Reverb is Deluxe or Princeton.

Solid state and modeling is great to try and test stuff. In the end, we all want our sound from a real amp in the room.

From 2012 so dated a bit but the point is clear.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vintageguitar.com/24450/25-most-valuable-amplifiers/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Modeling whether it's an amp or a pedal is basically digital processing, so as the chips and processing get better the modeling should too, they certainly have come a LONG way since the first POD and Line 6 AXSYS amps.

I think for the gain sounds modeling has gotten really close, to me the outstanding clean tones are still not there. And the modelers still don't feel or react exactly like a good tube amp.

Just depends on what you want, if you want lots of choices then a modeler might be for you.

15. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic

It's good to remember why tube production still occurs today. It's because tube circuits can survive an Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) generated by a nuclear weapon. As long as we have nukes, we'll have someone producing tubes.

16. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

I seem to recall a UK firm produced a SS amp called the Camel from 30 odd years back that had tubes that were fakes, but did play some part in the circuit. Given what Roland can pack into their tone modules I doubt it is beyond the wit of an enterprising engineer to produce a cleaner, greener, version of a vacuum tube to avert obsolescence of of the genre. That said, I use tube, sold state and modelling amps each with their virtues. To my ears at least - and pending hearing the new Tonemaster offering, an old Bandit 65 still takes some beating - especially at its second hand price point. Heavier, less versatile, maybe less tactile for those with true feel, but what was good enough for me in my younger days, sure is adequate for my declining skills today. As for Class D , I would put my money on an old Fender 100 watt PA system knocking a multi thousand watt class D system into audio oblivion, and those old systems boosted columns filled with small 6" or 8" speakers!

17. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

True that modelers have come a long way, but guys like Pete Anderson have been using them live and in studio work for over a decade...

It’s pretty much a context thing I believe

JayFreddy and codamedia like this.
  18. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

If modelers are so tube like, then why don't they:
    a) change tone gradually over time and then fail? (I'm sure some do fail without any warning at all but that's not as tube like).
    b) smell like burning dust on a hotplate?
    c) take a minute to come on, and do so gradually?
    d) require chopsticks to perform diagnostics?
    e) have replaceable parts available from different manufacturers, none of which sound the same?
    f) have a standby switch?

JayFreddy likes this.
  19. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

I agree, I played one in Mannys years ago - have always kept an eye out.

In regard to the new Fender modeling amps - from what I have heard on the net, they sound a little thin in the mids and a little bright. From my time in the audio hobby, I remember that the consensus was/is that tubes and digital emphasize different harmonics.

These things are probably nice for those still doing gigs. For me: Im too old and already have all the amps I want :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Yeah, but he doesn't sound like he used to.... :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.