1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

If Bob Dylan hadn't been a famous entertainer, would he have been a homeless person?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It was not a veiled or any other kind of insult, I just happened to pose a question that is obviously less popular than say? Why isn't Joe Bonamassa washing dishes in a drive through where they only use paper plates? Which on the Bad Dog seems to be not a only a valid, but popular question. I suppose it just depends on whose proverbial ox is being gored. No one seems to mind bashing John Mayer either. I don't happen to care for Bob Dylan's music, or delivery of such, that doesn't make me a bad person, just because I like Joe and John's much better, or even Jimmy Buffet's music a whole lot better. (well on the Bad Dog, it could make me a bad person)

Later in the thread I even walked my question back when I found that he is a successful, (meaning he's sold stuff) art worker/ sculptor of steel. I agreed that he would most likely have found gainful employment elsewhere than the entertainment field. So,what's the beef?

Richie-string likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Okay, you're in, report for dance classes next week!

[​IMG]

3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

psychotherapist or publisher

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

has it been said?... if BD wasn't famous, his name wouldn't be BD.... more like RZ...:twisted:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

73C2D8C2-6A0E-4A42-B6C2-596275E93055.jpeg

6. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Why not? He's a bright, high-energy guy. My impression is that he can do anything he wants. He's got more assets than Warren Buffett!

8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I have a big book of his Brazil paintings. Fantastic.

I also have a big songbook he illustrated with line drawings. The guy's good. Real good.

9. Toto'sDad

10. Richie-string

I know exactly what you are saying Toto, in my youth i remember buying a Dylan album because i wanted to know what the fuss was about and like you, for whatever reason, it just didn't resonate with me. A lot of my friends are big Dylan fans so i got to hear a lot more over the years (but never risked buying another album) but it never did click with me.

But as with a lot of things although it wasn't to my own taste i could still tell he was a talented songwriter, he definitely had a way with the words. So although i have never been a big fan myself i can definitely understand a lot of his appeal.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Honestly I don't know much of anything about him, but the story about how Bob went out walking, and ended up being arrested for claiming to be Bob Dylan. I thought it was a funny tag line when I posted, but it seems I hit a raw nerve with some of the folks here. As stated, with the venom poured out on the likes of Joe Bonamassa and John Mayer by some of the BD regulars, I had no idea that Mr. Dylan was held in such high regard. I still don't get him, and I don't have any plans in the immediate future to try and do so. As usual, everyone else is free to feel, act, and do as they wish. I thought he was kind of cool in Pat Garret and Billy the Kid though. I had forgotten all about that movie. Come to think of it, I kind of liked the song he did for it to as part of the movie. That's about all I got on the notable Mr. Dylan.

12. Richie-string

To be honest Toto when i saw the question posted i didn't think for one minute you were having a real go at Bob - i saw the humour in the question immediately. I think that sometimes people can take things a little too seriously, to me it was obvious this was meant to be a light hearted thread.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Thank you Richie-String for getting it! I have many, many times posted that I am seldom serious about much of anything, and dinging Mr. Dylan was more in jest than reality.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm pretty sure he is an established string bean jumper.

Toto'sDad and Richie-string like this.
  15. MrYeats

MrYeats Tele-Meister

He wood be a cook in the Great North Woods or
    Working on a fishing boat just outside DeLaCroix.

MattyK-USA, yyr123 and Richie-string like this.
  16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I don't understand this sentence. Equating John Mayer and Joe Bonamasa with Dylan makes no sense. Furthermore why wouldn't one of the most seminal figures in 20th century music be held in high regard?
    Either you're deliberately trolling or seriously in need of a music history lesson.

Toto'sDad and Ben-Zion like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

There is nothing to be gained in taking up an argument with you, your mind is made up, and that is absolutely your right. I am not trolling. Nor was the intention of my post meant to be anything other than a lighthearted post about possibilities. You have obviously made it into something entirely different.

18. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Bob has connections, he would have done alright regardless of what he chose to do.
    I haven't read the other 5 pages.

Some trivia for you, he recently chose to use a Richie Kotzen tele after demoing everything they had for some of his performances. He must like a fat neck.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I have a Masters and teach History. The question that the O.P. posted is what is called counter factual and is a technique in pedagogy that we use with new students to engage with a topic. We ask an essential question, use what we do know about the subject prior to the period in question, and speculate about the outcome. The young student supports their conclusion by citing facts that they encountered doing their research. No, this is not a method a historian necessarily uses to conduct research for a monograph but it is something that has value in teaching young students to think historically. If you're interested in this and the different levels of cognition in regards to historical thinking as it relates to learning development and developmental psychology I would suggest reading Sam Wineburg's work.

As far as Mr. Zimmerman's background, since he grew up in the region I grew up in and currently live, I have a solid historical understanding what the culture was like at that time and I pretty certain my answer to this game wouldn't be far off.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  20. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I heard of a song writer that did very well that rode the rails who was also from Kern county. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.