If after allowing your GAS to run free rein, do you in turn become a bit of a ho.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:19 PM.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

For years I only had one guitar. If I wanted a new one I made myself get rid of the old one. When I finally acquired my Tele I was pretty well satisfied. Then I became a bit less financially restricted and started adding guitars without getting rid of any. I still like the Tele the most but there’s room for others too.

Toto'sDad and NewKid like this.
  2. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Hi TD,

I used to own one acoustic and one electric. I’m convinced I was a better guitarist then; I was gigging 2 to 3 nights a week, practicing solo and with a band most other nights.

Those guitars I feel I knew upside down and backwards.

I was also a lot younger and broker. Later, I bought other gear. I swapped my electric. My first acoustic was smashed in an accident (never keep a good guitar in a cheap case).

I like the gear I’ve got now. But not like I liked those guitars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P Thought, Toto'sDad and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

:D:lol:

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i pick a category...research then obliterate it..then on to next ...current subject- pre amps & mics..out of nowhere 5 pres & 9 mic's.

almost weird when a total contentment phase is happening--i like the hunt,,the research-the process of learning then making it all work out. Now days..no shame in the game..no price worries..just want what works..it's usually never the most popular or most expensive but what works for the situation..but procrastinating over a purchase..no more..click..ahh..i enjoy it !! Why not..i work my butt off & actually use it all.

Might get into frame up car builds again when retire soon..need to work..like it

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Back when a cheap plywood Alvarez classical guitar was my only acoustic, I felt my life would be complete once I got an acoustic guitar made of solid wood. Later, after getting a pretty nice Taylor dreadnaught, I loaned my Alvarez guitar to a friend and the friend lost it in a burglary. Eventually I traded the Taylor for a mandolin. I don't miss the Taylor. But I miss that crappy Alvarez.

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and NewKid like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

They do and so do I, golf has a speak all its own you'd just have be one to understand. Kind of like listening to school girls chatter.

P Thought and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Toto'sDad

The money I spent learning this was probably more than medical treatment for the problem would have cost.

OldDude2 likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

9. Toto'sDad

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about, when I got rid of my old Martin, I felt like I had sold a good friend down the river. It's been nigh onto ten years, I still miss the feel, and smell of that old guitar. Some things you can just never do again.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

I play better with a full set of clubs. I rely on my wedges which I carry four of, to get me around the course now. At my age, some long holes are just out of my reach, I get as close as I can, and then try to make a good pitch, and putt. When I first started, I had a cheap set of clubs sold by Wards, I had a lot of fun with two woods, four irons and a putter. Money was tight, they were all I could afford, but I had a good time doing something that I had previously thought only rich folks were allowed to do.

NewKid likes this.
  11. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have three others and I like them fine, but I've had the same tele plugged in to the same amp for a couple months now, and I haven't switched up my acoustics for about the same time. I probably won't move on it, it's not like they're in the way or tying up a lot of money, but I sometimes wonder why I need more than the two guitars.

HOwever, that's not enough to make me call myself any names. :p

NewKid, Jimmy Owen and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

When we were younger, there were probably a whole lot less distractions too, I suppose that plays into it. When I was young, and broke most of the time, the only thing I had to do was play my guitar. As you move along in life, you gather family and friends, obligatgions a dog, maybe a horse, or who knows what, then you have to divide up your time amongst them all.

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Acceptance is the first step! :D:lol:

14. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm serious about living on my budget, and I don't budget anything for gear acquisition. Self imposed rule: if I want to buy any gear, I have to generate the cash by selling something or saving up leftover allowance money. That keeps the GAS at arms length.

I've got a Mission 5E3 I built from a kit, an ESP 400 Strat I bought new in 1985, a Tele partscaster I put together about ten years ago, a parts bin Tele partscaster I got cheap from Mellecaster, and an Epi gold top LP Standard Mrs. D. surprised me with last Christmas. Maybe $2500 total acquisition cost altogether, spread over 30+ years. I like the necks, I like the sound through the amp, they're comfortable, and they look great hanging on the wall when I'm not playing.

All the studios in LA, Nashville, and NYC have apparently lost my phone number, so I don't need to "cover all the bases". I'd love them, but I'll do just fine without an ES335 or an L5. I'd be happy with any one of my guitars as my only guitar. If I can play it, any of them can do it well enough. My first forty-five years playing, I only had one guitar at a time. Never needed a backup or even thought about it.

I get on this forum or TGP, and I start thinking about wanting other guitars. Or replacing pickups, or replacing hardware. One of my Teles has Don Mare pickups and a Glendale bridge, the other has unidentifiable mystery parts. If I recorded them both, they would sound a little different, but I doubt you could tell which one had the expensive parts and which was the cheapo.

I think Brother Blowtorch got it just right.

Jimmy Owen and NewKid like this.
  15. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I've always looked at them as works of art. All different and unique. Although don't own any of the usual suspects. Seem to hover at around 50 or so. I do have my favorites though. Others are like money in the bank so unless the market completely crashes they'll hold their value and as it stands keep going up. In other words I don't buy just because its the latest and greatest but because it was a deal and I speculated on its future market value. The kid that buys a used DINKY because it was cool for $200 wont get the same return as the OG that bought a 60's Burns he didn't really like for $100 so to say.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

That's how I felt about my Epiphone Texan that I had from 17-32. It was the only guitar I could afford.
    I had to sell it to buy a water heater for the family home- times were tough in Oz at that time.
    Now I have 6 good guitars, a Princeton and a Katana, and only play every couple of days. Might sell 'em all and buy a J-45.

Jimmy Owen, NewKid and Toto'sDad like this.
  17. Toto'sDad

It's hard to know what to do at times, because I seem to end up doing something, even after thinking it through, that just isn't right for me in the end. I don't know your financial situation, but if you can afford it, buy the J-45, put the others you have a away, then if the J-45 is right for you, go ahead and move the other stuff. I've had some guitars that if I had given them a chance I would have liked, did like as a matter of fact, but once I got started selling stuff off, that became a job for me to hurry up and finish too. Sometimes, there just ain't no rest for the wicked! :lol:

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm monogamous at 7 guitars. Anything over that is whoring with a bunch of one nighters.

Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  19. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

Yes. I went down that rabbit hole once and am much happier with one bass, one acoustic, I have three electrics, but do not need or want any more gear.

20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've been thinking about this--thanks a lot, TD--and although I have always thought I had a strong case of GAS, and I've sometimes felt guilty about it, I think I was really fairly well in control the whole time, and my collection now is modest and reasonable. I have reasons--both practical and sentimental--for keeping each of the nine guitars I own, even though not all of them get played very often. I did come to my senses enough to give away my router, before I buried myself in blueprint teles, which, being like children, are very hard to part with.

I do think that nine is plenty enough, and I'm happy to leave for someone else whatever guitars are out there that are "better" than the ones I have. I can't imagine trying to keep track of 25, 50, or 100 guitars, the way some people apparently do.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.