If after allowing your GAS to run free rein, do you in turn become a bit of a ho.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:19 PM.

1. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

When all I had was this crappy dead sounding Squier strat, I would never put her down, night and day. Dragged her around all the time. I would constantly tweak her and try to find ways around her weaknesses. During that time, I thought I needed something better, and that my cheap Squier was a piece of cr@p, but as I had time to play, was young, and had no other guitar, I played her all the time. She was the only guitar people would see me with. Because I played her so much, my skills were in top form. However, I kept feeding hopes of getting ''a proper Fender'' one day.

I eventually started to work ''more serious'' (better paying) jobs and bought a few Fenders, that are objectivelly and subjectivelly far superior from that old piece of junk. I love these guitars and have also estabilished relationships with them over the years. I never played the old Squier too much again.

But Ive also never felt again the feeling of bonding so deeply with just one guitar that I thought made me sad and angered, but that, in truth, I loved.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's the amnesia part of drinking that always got to me. Just when I had consumed whiskey in quantities large enough to asssure I would have the secrets of time and space revelaed to me, I woudl drop off to sleep. Alas, when I awoke, the answers to the secret of life had been replaced by a throbbing headache. :(

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

The trick is to write down the wisdom AS IT COMES TO YOU. Thus, I can share some of the secrets of life with you right now. During one night of heavy drinking and pondering the mysteries of the "opposite" sex, it all came to me, and I wrote it all down. Here is a direct quote for you all to consider....
    "Dos quigglem for septal drigler gobble later, whitten left jugular fallish bedroom pringles ...."
    There's more, but it got a little illegible, and frankly a bit silly.

NewKid, El Tele Lobo and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

“Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so. The only chance is to treat, not happiness, but some end external to it, as the purpose of life. Let your self-consciousness, your scrutiny, your self-interrogation, exhaust themselves on that; and if otherwise fortunately circumstanced you will inhale happiness with the air you breathe, without dwelling on it or thinking about it, without either forestalling it in imagination, or putting it to flight by fatal questioning.”

That's right. John Stuart Mill knew that the tone was in the fingers.

More seriously, there is an entire fascinating subfield of psychology around happiness. Daniel Gilbert's book Stumbling on Happiness is the big public-facing book, and there are others. Barry Schwartz's The Paradox of Choice talks about options making us less happy.

The trouble with choosing from a seemingly infinite market full of guitars and amps is that it can make you all but certain that there's something better out there. That realization makes us ask - often every time we plug in - "am I happy?" in terms of tone, etc. And by the question, we become less happy. That's what Schwartz found. Gilbert, on the other hand, found that the act of choosing (or having chosen for you) a commitment actually causes your mind to synthesize happiness - up to and including reprogramming your hedonic responses to inputs.

So yes, I type this as a guy with a ton of guitars and a half dozen amps. I'm very, very happy with them, but contextualizing it as being fun is how I got there. If I was trying to find "the one" through being a gear ho, I suspect I'd be very unhappy indeed.

5. Toto'sDad

Wow thanks Nojazzhere, filing that over here under.

Important facts to have in hand while dealing with "opposite" sex. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

First line of defense should be an opening statement comprised of or at least pertaining to:

"Dos quigglem for septal drigler gobble later, whitten left jugular fallish bedroom pringles ….

6. Toto'sDad

Words to learn from. I guess that's really what it is. It's kind of like when you're a virgin, any port in a storm would be just fine, but once the new is gone, you can be more selective. :D

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

nojazzhere and GuitarKid like this.
  8. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

I have 3 acoustics all Martin D18 different versions. Been playing 40 years and still can't wait to get home from work and pick on 'em.

NewKid, El Tele Lobo and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I've had so many guitars, I quit counting. When I said I had fourteen instruments at one time, that was just a point in time where those were sitting on stands, or stuffed in cubby holes all over the house. I had a G&L Comanche for 2 hours! I wish I'd have given it a chance, but it just felt like lug nuts on skateboard. (to me) I've had 'em for a half a day, a day, sometimes it took me months to make up my mind. All of the ones I really liked, I got rid of. Why? I wish I knew. I know one thing, if you're gonna take anything with you when you go, (and you're not involved in a bond fire) it better not take up much room.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

My all time favorite guitar was a 1965 Martin D-18 that I had for 44 years. In a fit of stupidity I traded it straight across for a brand new HD-28 which I tried for almost two years to bond with. Then, I traded, and traded, and traded. I have a little MMV that my son bought cheap, and now that's the only Martin I'll probably ever have again. Unless of course I find, a good clean '55 D-28 lying in a dumpster like old Mike Eskimo, but my luck don't run in that direction. The MMV, is a sleeper though, sounds good, plays good, my son bought it back in 2009 when they still had ebony fretboards. I don't know, I've had a D-28 Marquis, and the MMV, I'd really just as soon play the MMV.

11. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Has anyone ever been successfully treated for GAS at the Betty Chord Rehab Centre?

Piggy Stu, NewKid and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

So you put, drive or what ever those things are called with one club?

I thought golfers carried around a good amount of those?

NewKid and Toto'sDad like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

"First line of defense should be an opening statement comprised of or at least pertaining to:

"Dos quigglem for septal drigler gobble later, whitten left jugular fallish bedroom pringles …."

Well, I guess when you put it that way, it DOES sound a little stupid.....;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I think that's wise.

I love guitars. I love them. As in, if money were no object, I would have one of each (in every color available).

But because money is an object, I own 2 guitars, both of which are sentimental partscasters. One was built with the help of my kids, the other was built from a wooden box my grandfather made.

Neither plays great, neither looks amazing, and neither is very versatile.

... But I can't imagine ever getting rid of either one. Not being able to afford a great guitar at the moment, I know that any cheapo guitar I buy will temporarily scratch the itch for a bit, but will ultimately become boring and eventually be sold and traded.

So I don't buy other guitars. And m realizing that's it's made me become really attached to the 2 that I have. I just make them work for what I want to play. It's actually pretty nice to become so intimately familiar with an instrument, I feel like I know the exact limits of my guitars.

I'm not pretending that if someone gifted me one of my dream guitars that I wouldn't want or play it; of course I would. But I'm slowly learning to become content with what I've got. For now at least haha

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

Toto'sdad I believe this might be one of the most insightful posts into my psyche:)

My sincere thanks

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

I have some guitars and lap steel guitars. They all, with the exception of the chandler lap steel guitars Have had pickup changes to provide a palette of colors and some hum canceling.
    Made in Japan, Indonesia, Korea, USA, China, all of them, in my hands sound pretty much the same performance wise because of the limitations of my skill set, not because of were the CNC machines are located.
    I spend a lot of time tweaking faux amps and fx's, because I enjoy the problem solving aspect of finding which brand of weirdness I'm looking for. I like unusual, odd sounds emanating from my guitars. As a fan of ring modulation tones, radically filtered tones I don't need a collection of guitars to get the results that I am seeking.
    I am a slut for reverb / delay effects, think Jamaican smokey dub Lee Scratch Perry/ Mad Professor / King Tubby.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I used to have a quite sizable (to me) collection (21 electrics; always only a couple of acoustics) and I’m down to four I play and three I’m still trying to sell ... so, umm ... yeah ...

18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

My GAS absolutely reigned free this year with four new guitars and a bass just yesterday.

I love my collection and my American Special Tele still gets the majority of my playing time while the others are played in rotation for a change of pace. My last three instruments, a Squier Tele Deluxe, Fender Player Strat, and Yamaha bass were in the $300 - $550 range so nothing crazy.

I think I’m going to call it a year on new instruments and consider 2019 to be my best year ever.

PS. My golf clubs are custom fit Callaways from 2005. I only play with 7 clubs now and have much more fun.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I actually had seven guitars and now have six. Two were acoustics. I liked the last one I bought enough I quit playing the previous one. So I sold it. A different acoustic will have to seriously haunt me for me to buy it.

I kind of rotate through the electrics. I like them all.

Toto'sDad and NewKid like this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

This thread reminds me that I need to start showing more love to my '66 Telecaster, which was my only guitar for couple of decades, and still my best. It's my #1 and it's time I started treating it that way again.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.