If after allowing your GAS to run free rein, do you in turn become a bit of a ho.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Nov 8, 2019 at 1:19 PM.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There have been many posts on the forum about GAS. This I think might offer a different perspective. When I only had one guitar for many, many years, I loved my guitar, I don't mean liked it, I loved it like a favorite friend, or something close to it. Then one day, I bought ANOTHER guitar. Somehow both the new and old guitars were diminished. Like a drunk seeking the answer by drinking more, I bought more guitars only to have them diminish the overall experience even more.

By the time I had reached fourteen instruments I had become somewhat like a good girl done gone bad, I was no longer capable of having a meaningful relationship with any of them. I started selling off guitars in the hopes my focus would improve. It really didn't. There are now only four guitars in my house, none of which I play very much. I have three amps, none of which I like all that much. I briefly entertained the thought of buying one of the new hand wired Deluxe Reverbs, but quickly discarded that idea as being both stupid, and financially foolish.

One day my son remarked to me on the driving range, Dad how is it you can pick up my club, John's club, or your club and hit them all equally well? I told him because I've hit just about every kind of golf club made over the last fifty years. Now, I'm no longer impressed with the latest and greatest. I figure I'll hit them all about the same, there's no miracle club, and I have come to understand and fully believe there's no miracle guitar or amp either. I liked playing golf, and music when I still believed there was. I have become a disillusioned ho, in my excess. Innocence lost, but not forgotten.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes.

Ideally, it's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

"Love the one you're with" (a sentiment that David Crosby could have extended to the liver he was born with, but I guess what's the difference when you're a filthy rich rockstar who gets to hop to the front of the waiting line, amIight?)

3. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The craftsman not the tool.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've had three guitar/equipment purges over my lifetime. Get the number up to over a dozen, have an epiphany and sell all but maybe three, and then five years or so later I get the bug and start rebuilding again. Not sure if it's good or not, it's just a cycle that I seem to follow.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I still love the smell of bacon. I don't eat the same thing for breakfast every day, though.

I'm doing a songwriter in the round type show tonight and I'm planning on taking four guitars. Two electric, two acoustic. Because I can.

I only feel ho-ish trying to promote the show. But that's on me. The guitars? They're quiet on the whole issue.

El Tele Lobo and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Mucho words of wisdom right there BT.

7. Toto'sDad

I think, I've stepped off that train, but never say never.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've sold off over half of my guitars in the last year. I've embraced the gas over the past few months and am assembling a few choice guitars using $40 buck bodies and am having much fun doing it. Owning and playing many guitars does do good things for your playing. I have preferences but I can play pretty much any guitar with no trouble.

A guy messaged me about a les paul i've got listed for sale with a list of requirements. He declined on the purchase because this les paul was over 3.5kg in weight and has a neck 1mm too thick in depth for his liking.:rolleyes: It's not a high priced guitar, it's listed for not much more than a new Epiphone. The quality and condition is excellent though. Its a Japan made Bacchus blp in mint condition.

nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

My guitars used to talk to me, now they just sit there on the stand and ignore me, but the feeling is mutual. It'd be nice if one of them would at least offer to buy me a drink.

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Nope. I still love my old favorites just as much. But then again, I tend not to purchase things that won't eventually become "old favorites" anyhow.

moosie and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

1mm? Oh, yeah that right there would throw a guy completely off on his incessant wanking! :D

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Good on you for being able to do that.

13. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Its like a kid that gets 27 birthday presents - and the kid who only gets one … he will love that one .

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Those fifty years of different clubs and guitars gave you an education -- the ability to peer through the magic -- and that's not a bad thing.

It takes a hundred guitars to separate the marketing myths from reality. Fortunately, there are so many used guitars out there it's easy to experiment and get insight. Just don't hang onto all of them.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When I was reading TD’s post I thought of when I had maybe 12-16 LPs to my name. I loved those records and knew every note on those records. I treasured them.

then I turned around and I had 500 records and turned around one more time and I had 1000 and it kept going and going and going.

Then when I read the post above my experience was just the same, I had three huge record purges , built the collection back up a couple times but the last one finally took.

And the last one was eight or 10 big banquet tables filled with boxes in my backyard taking advantage of my hipster neighborhood. big signs “vinyl sale” and man did they flock in.

The sad part was? I sold so many records I never even listened to.

But “I had to have them !” and then never even listened to them.

I was a vinyl ho.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

I still feel the need to pick up my firebird , or my strat , or SGs and rediscover how cool they are to own and play , but because of the limited choices for south paw , I really love what I own all 22 , I find I approach playing each one differently, but do I want another guitar ....hell no ,
    I see an another guitar and I see an opportunity to modify it , so why bother same with amps I tend to keep things as simple as possible , guitar cable , amp then if I feel like it maybe a pedal!

I have sooooo much gear right now I could easily open up a store , so I gas for nothing!

17. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had calluses thicker than that.:)

18. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

Not totally off the subject, but I read an article once that said all those golf clubs do add 15 yards to your game. The thing is you unknowingly change your swing with the new club, and after awhile you return to you same old swing habits, and the 15 yards go away. I've had pedals do that, sound so good, and a couple weeks later they find their way to the "eh shelf."

19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't owned nearly as many guitars as a lot of you, either because of poverty or just thrift. I always played what I had, and think I got a reasonably decent sound out of them, but only in the last few years came to recognize exactly what I liked, especially in "feel". I've already related the MANY mods and alterations made in the nearly twenty years of having my #1 Telecaster, and honestly feel I'm done. (I know, famous last words) I only recently built a new one to more or less replicate that #1, as a backup, in event of a tragedy. I have yet to decide if the new one will replace the old as #1, as it's MUCH lighter in weight, but the few other guitars I will likely sell....as long as I don't have to give them away. The same is true of my 5 or 6 guitar amps.....if I really needed to, I could cull down to one amp and one guitar, and be perfectly happy. For me....it's honestly about appreciating what I've got, and just making music.
    BUT, TD....as to seeking answers by drinking more?......let's not be too hasty to dismiss what works! ;)

Chunkocaster and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

I think what you say has merit. One tends to "adjust" to golf clubs, I don't fully understand this, but I know it is true. I have never had a club, and I've had so many golf clubs in my lifetime, I don't know if there is a way to even estimate the number, that would go fifteen yards further. I've had too much adrenalin flowing, and hit a club fifteen yards too far, usually into a place I didn't want to go, but nothing I could count on. Interesting thought though.

teledude66 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.