1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

IEMs

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by FosterF, Mar 16, 2012.

1. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Im slightly long winded but here it goes:
    So I've always thought it was ridiculous to spend large amounts of money on expensive in-ears. I figured I could just use my $15 earphones and it'd all be the same.. Right? I didn't need to buy a pair of $100+ headphones!

That was until last night! My cheap-o headphones blew their poor little speakers during practice.. I couldn't get a happy mix on the Aviom and it just made practice terrible! I had to turn the bass way down and keep the volume low.. I couldn't hear anything! After rehearsal the head audio guy came in and asked me how things were going. I told him my problem and he said he had a pair of headphones I could use. I was expecting a pair of iPod headphones but he came back with a pair of Shure SE215s. I thought it would be fun to use some fancy in-ears so I went up and adjusting my mix to where I usually keep it.

Once we started playing I was BLOWN AWAY! Everything was so clear and articulate; I could hear every note perfectly clear and each instrument sounded distinct. I was amazed! I honestly think they improved my playing. Not only did they sound good, they also felt great. Fit perfectly in my ears, didn't fall out, and were completely hidden!

I had fallen in love.. So tonight I ordered myself a pair! I'm playing some places out of town next week so hopefully they'll be in in time for that!

What do y'all think about the pricey in-ears?

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Tele-Meister

For guitar and singing I've got some Shures (not certain of the model, they were around £100). They're fine for higher frequencies but don't seem to be able to handle the level I need when playing bass and end up distorting in an unpleasant way.

Strangely, my £25 Sennheisers do the job fine for bass.

At some point in time I'll have to get some high-quality earphones, preferably custom moulds, but I'd probably have to sell my car to buy them!

3. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Ive used a few universal fits, but custom molds are that same "wow" factor again. Worth every cent. Coat me AU$600 for 4-driver (Mage model) from Unique Melody.

If you want low extension that you can feel, Futuresonics are very nice thought their tops aren't as balanced as my UMs. that said they are not custom molds either so apples and oranges.

Far as cost goes I suppose you'd weigh up vs how often you use it. For me its weekly at church plus another 3 times on solo acoustic pub gigs. No foldback = One less speaker haul and setup. Love it.

4. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

I'm also a convert. I got some custom molded three driver ones last year. You get what you pay for! I'm in heaven. I took mine out for a second at last weeks gig. We were in a less than idea acoustic environment. I really felt for the other guys. I bet their ears were ringing for days.

5. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

i have a wedge stage monitor. but for bass i use some posh Sennheisers i borrow from church.

if i come across some money might consider some Dr Dre beatz studio. blew e away in store

6. ZSmith85

ZSmith85 TDPRI Member

The perfect scenario is to have a nice set of in-ears (using only one ear), and a floor wedge with a unbiased "house mix" (if not a wedge in front of you, one for someone close by). That way, you have a nice personalized mix (in one ear), and you have a nice "wash" of the other guys on the stage! Not a "correct or not correct" post, just preference! God Bless!

7. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Been using a set of Shure SE310s I actually got to use when I was still spending hours on a motorcycle. They turned out to be much nicer to use with the Avioms than the Sony cans the rest of the guys use. Been using them for over a year, and I've converted one other guitarist to IEMs, so far.

Now, for pure listening or monitoring, I'll take my Beyer-Dynamics, or even old Sony's, but in a plane, on a bike, or on stage (with your own mix), IEMs just work better for me.

8. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I use a set of Shure E2's that the church had laying around a couple of years ago. I believe they have been discontinued, but they work pretty good. The different earpieces help with fitting. I have insanely large ears on the outside, but really small on the inside, so fitting is always fun. I agree that it would be nice to have your own mix in one ear and a house mix through a wedge, but that would require noise on the stage, which we all know is of the devil.

9. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Please, please be careful when suggesting this - basically don't - as its very easy to bump up your single IEM much higher than you should to compensate for the fact that you're hearing alot of ambient sound from the open ear.

If you go one-in-one-out set your levels with both in first at a comfortable volume for the duration of the performance. Then pull one out, and never turn the IEM level up beyond this set point.

I often go one-in-one-out at solo acoustic gigs, and occasionally I'm tempted to bump up my IEM to keep up with the crowd chatter and the ambient FOH sound coming into my non-IEM ear. The times I've done that, and just for checking sake, popped in my other IEM. LOUD. Too loud.

Compounds the matter if you're playing with a band, and your system doesn't have a volume limiter. You see DVDs of people pulling one side out, that's just to get a 'vibe' of the room from time to time.

10. theskypilot

theskypilot Tele-Meister

I agree, for the money the Shure SE-215 is awesome. Our church just launched a new location. We are in a movie theater and have all the instruments running through the mixer. I use a POD HD 500 with a MIM Tele. I had also played around with some other earbuds. The drivers could not handle the signal and distorted to the point you could not stand it. With the Shures they can handle the signal and give great response. I have noticed that the deep bass tones do get mushy. Overall I am in heaven and will probably invest in molded buds in the future.

11. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

hmmm...in ear monitors that also block out the surrounding noise like earplugs?
    Do they come with an in-line volume control on the wire?

12. FosterF

FosterF Tele-Meister

Yup! Isolation so you can get a nice clean mix.
    Nope they don't but I just use the aviom or wireless pack for that

13. Sharp5

Sharp5 Tele-Holic

With molded IEM's, it is basically an ear plug. Just happens to have as many drivers as you can afford in them. Volume is controlled on the belt pack. A lot of systems have two inputs. It goes like this:

My main ax is tenor sax. Sax mic direct to IEM receiver into one channel. Then out to board. Second channel is my monitor mix from the board that I would have got in my monitor. This lets me set the volume of my sax and monitor mix Independently on the fly on my belt pack. This could be your guitar or your vocal etc.

The other benefit is, my mix is pretty much always set. Makes everyone's job easier.

14. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Truth!

15. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

We recently went to IEMs at our church. I use the same Sony buds that I run with, and they work surprisingly well, but I'm looking for others. Can't afford a set of Shure's like a couple of our members have.

To solve the ambient sound issue we put a condenser mic pointed at the congregation on stage, and feed some of that back through the IEMs. Really helps eliminate the sterile, isolated feeling you can get without it.

16. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

I've been using in ear monitors for several years. Our church started out with some expensive ones that I didn't like and they all ended up breaking. I borrowed my son's skull candys for a rehersal and loved them. I spent the $15 and bought some for myself. Shortly after, in talking with another guitarist, he did the same. We approached the WL with the idea of getting these for general use and he jumped on that. They have dropped even more (now $10) such that I can throw a spare new set in my gig bag and not have to worry if something goes wrong (like my teenage sun "borrowing" mine). They work well for me. I'm coming through a wireless from the aviom.

17. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

Is this with or without amps on stage?

18. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

Oh man, that sounds like a PERFECT setup for me! My guitar in one ear and the house in the other. It would be sooo perfect!

Hmmm....time to add in another item to my wishlist!
    Thanks everyone!!
    :D

19. unclogan1

unclogan1 TDPRI Member

I would say that you get what you pay for in this area. My advice is to by a nice pair - you will probably never be satisfied with a cheap pair of headphones. If you are in the market for customs check out 1964 Ears. They are great and are less expensive than some of the more well known ones. My dual drivers were less expensive that Shure's universal fit ones I believe. They are hand built with your ear mold. Man they really blew me away when I got them.

20. Parma_TeleMon

Parma_TeleMon Friend of Leo's

Technically without. My Rebel 30 and the bass amp have direct outs, and I can turn the speaker off on mine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.