1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Idiots guide to drum tracks in DAW

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by 63telemaster, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

I’m not familiar with Reaper but it looks pretty straightforward judging by these videos.

suthol and 63telemaster like this.
  2. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Thank you. I find Kenny Gioia's tuitional videos a great resource, clear and straight to the point with no bs or fluff :cool:

Great advice here, thank you. The transpose section of AD2 tries to do some of the things you describe with the timing but across the whole drum mix which can sound like the drummer went down the pub on the way to the session. As you say, far better to do this in a controlled way on the separate tracks.

Good tip on the dynamics too, I've worked out how to bus the drums and I'll look into automating/riding levels on the room track when I'm mixing. In the past I've always enjoyed the mixing part more than the actual recording but never been able to get to this stage with a DAW.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  3. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Reaper here, latest version, but I stick with v3 skin...
    I use Jamstix 4 for drum tracks, but for tuition videos for Reaper, you can't beat Kenny Gioa's, I think his yt channel is Reaper mania. He's bound to have done something on the subject.

suthol and 63telemaster like this.
  4. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Over the years I’ve used Superior Drums and Steven Slate SSD for basic sounds, but prefer to just play the noes on a MIDI keyboard...presets in commercially available stuff tend to be (for me) just too busy. Also, it’s just faster than searching for a proper clip to loop.

Cubase has a great feature to dissolve MIDI information like drums so each voice is on its own audio track. This allows individual processing.

63telemaster likes this.
  5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Have a look at DrumMic'a from Sennheiser for another sensibly priced ( free ) option it has some wonderful sounds in there, it's huge and is a bit of fun to install because the instructions are in German but the words look familiar and thus intuitive

All the mics are interchangeable and obviously all Sennheiser options and each piece has it's own track with mics on front & rear of the kick and top & bottom of the snare

https://en-ca.sennheiser.com/drummica

63telemaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.