Idiot question!

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Chordophonic, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Chordophonic

Chordophonic Tele-Meister

Ok here goes, be gentle!

Effects pedals draw current form the battery/power supply when engaged (effect in use) now the Idiot question, do they still draw current when disengaged?

Thank you and goodnight!

Paul

2. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

Some do. Obviously if you use AC just unplug when not in use. If you use batteries, even when they are off sometimes they will drain the battery. My old Vox wah needs the guitar cord unplugged, or it will kill the battery even when it isn't being used.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why I always put a separate power switch on stompboxes I build, and usually a LED pilot light, too.

PS--The only person who would think your question is an idiot question, would be an idiot. Asking questions is how we learn stuff.

4. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Most of mine will drain the battery if the input plug is left in.

5. Chordophonic

My reason for asking is that my son and heir is concerned that he may overload his multiple fuel tank type PSU, so wondered if, as he never uses all the effects at the same time, whether this would be an issue.....the total current draw of all the effects is more than recommended for the PSU......but they are never all used together......

Ageed theres no such thing as an idiot question....poor attempt at humour.....

Paul

6. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Well, the solution to that conundrum is pretty clear, isn't it? :lol:

Seriously, using any power supply beyond its recommended maximum is just a bad idea. At the least, your son risks his power supply dying at a bad moment, maybe just as he's launching into the best solo of the gig. At the worst, his dying power supply could take out some of his pedals with it as it goes through it's death-throes.

IMO, since you can get something like a One Spot for under twenty bucks, it just makes no sense to strain one power supply to breaking point. If a One Spot isn't enough, well, split up the pedals between two power supplies, and mount both of them on the pedalboard.

As several people have said, most pedals do draw current as long as power is applied and there's a cable plugged into the input jack. The electronics stays powered up, ready to do your bidding when you step on the foot-switch.

It has to be this way - otherwise many pedals wouldn't come back to life quickly enough when you step on the foot-switch to turn them on. Even if they did, you would hear massive thumps and bumps through your guitar amp as they turned on.

-Gnobudddy

7. Chordophonic

Thanks, thats what I thought, Ill encourage him to source another power supply....

Paul

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.